Turn on thread page Beta

Profile evaluation - economics masters programs in Europe watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Keen to get opinions on my chances at admission to master of economics /MPhil programs at top UK schools (LSE / Oxford / Cambridge) and Europe (Toulouse, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Bocconi etc.)

Undergrad and Honours:
    • Studied at the University of New South Wales in Australia (one of the more reputable unis in Australia)
    • Distinction average in economics courses (GPA around 5.5 out of 7), majors in econometrics and finance. My marks are a bit inconsistent, mix of High Distinctions (highest grade) as well as passes/credits (lower-average grades)
    • 2:1 overall (final mark 82%, cut off 85% for 1st class) in Honours year (5 postgrad level courses including advanced micro and macro; and a thesis component), ranking was probably 7th out of 16. Thesis was 1st class.

Work experience:
    • 2 years at a top economic consulting firm in Australia
    • 2 years in the group strategy team for a $10b market cap+ company
    • Also taught 1st year macroeconomics in university and have some research assistant experience with a Finance Professor
    • Various extracurriculars to talk about including leadership roles in university student societies, community involvement, events management etc.

References:
    • Can probably get a decent academic reference from 1 of my honours supervisors (Professor of Econometrics)
    • Can also get a reference from my Partner at the economic consulting firm
    • A potential reference from a secondary honours supervisor (Assoc Prof of Economics, did his PhD in Cambridge)

Yet to complete my GRE but hoping to get 160+ in quantitative.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by urbantorque1)
    Hi,

Keen to get opinions on my chances at admission to master of economics /MPhil programs at top UK schools (LSE / Oxford / Cambridge) and Europe (Toulouse, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Bocconi etc.)

Undergrad and Honours:
    • Studied at the University of New South Wales in Australia (one of the more reputable unis in Australia)
    • Distinction average in economics courses (GPA around 5.5 out of 7), majors in econometrics and finance. My marks are a bit inconsistent, mix of High Distinctions (highest grade) as well as passes/credits (lower-average grades)
    • 2:1 overall (final mark 82%, cut off 85% for 1st class) in Honours year (5 postgrad level courses including advanced micro and macro; and a thesis component), ranking was probably 7th out of 16. Thesis was 1st class.

Work experience:
    • 2 years at a top economic consulting firm in Australia
    • 2 years in the group strategy team for a $10b market cap+ company
    • Also taught 1st year macroeconomics in university and have some research assistant experience with a Finance Professor
    • Various extracurriculars to talk about including leadership roles in university student societies, community involvement, events management etc.

References:
    • Can probably get a decent academic reference from 1 of my honours supervisors (Professor of Econometrics)
    • Can also get a reference from my Partner at the economic consulting firm
    • A potential reference from a secondary honours supervisor (Assoc Prof of Economics, did his PhD in Cambridge)

Yet to complete my GRE but hoping to get 160+ in quantitative.
    If you meet the entry requirements go for it. No one can predict what is going to happen.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.