Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Some of you may remember the Microdebating forum from a few years ago... if not, then welcome to a new debating style here on TSR, and one with a twist.

Every Monday a new topic will be put up for debate, and your challenge is to get involved in the discussion, but only using up to 140 characters in each post, this post aside. Multiple posts are allowed, but no more than 2 posts in a row per person, please.

This week's topic is related to mandatory education and what age you think it should continue until; do you think the current age is right? If you'd change it, what would you change it to, and why?

Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion

Just as now. 18 in education, or 16 if training, apprenticeship or full time employment.

Can 16-17 yr olds leave education if they run their own business?

Education should go up to 16, because to be honest, aged adolescents are no different from 18 year olds aside from drinking, driving, etc.

But I see that there is no use in trying to pile up more useless and undesired information when most of them can already take public transport and aswell as get a job. With this age, they can already get a grasp of the real world, outside of their air tight routine of looking at someone talk aimlessly (That's not always the case) and prepare for their future endeavors economically and socially.

I don't think it should, beyond KS3. I feel like we should have a choice about what we learn based on what we want to do with our lives. People who can't answer that should have extra help figuring it out.

I'd go back to 16 for everyone. I doubt the extra two years for some people has made any difference.
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.