Hi, I've moved your thread the the Philosophy section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarzan2018)
    What is nothing
    The absence of something/everything.

ReputationRep:
    What is nothing
    It's the same as the purpose of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    What is nothing

It was all much ado about nothing as physicists and thinkers came together to debate the concept of nothing Wednesday (March 20) here at the American Museum of Natural History.
    The simple idea of nothing, a concept that even toddlers can understand, proved surprisingly difficult for the scientists to pin down, with some of them questioning whether such a thing as nothing exists at all.
    The first, most basic idea of nothing — empty space with nothing in it — was quickly agreed not to benothing. In our universe, even a dark, empty void of space, absent of all particles, is still something.
    "It has a topology, it has a shape, it's a physical object," philosopher Jim Holt said during the museum's annual Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate, which this year was focused on the topic of "The Existence of Nothing."
    As moderator Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the museum's Hayden Planetarium, said, "If laws of physics still apply, the laws of physics are not nothing." [Endless Void or Big Crunch: How Will the Universe End?]

ReputationRep:

The space in between the two dots is nothing
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What is nothing
    Nothing is a life without purpose, a life without faith, a life without GOD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDOZ)
    There is no such thing as nothing
    There is always something there - even if it is just a few atoms
    Nobody exclusively said that the 'there' exclusively had to be the physical world. And nobody said that the measurement of the particular something (rather than anything) exclusively had to be 'any atoms'.

"What did you say to Shakespeare when he was dying?"
    "Nothing. I wasn't even born then".

One type of Nothing is the (albeit rigidly defined) connection between two not overlapping circles of specific criterias in a Venn diagram.

ReputationRep:
    It's also a claim to do with general events:

"What did you do today?"
    "Nothing".

What could actually be true, for example, is any or all of the following:

a) I did nothing interesting to me.
    b) I did nothing that I think would be interesting to you.
    c) I did something interesting to me, or that has affected me, but I don't want to tell you what it
    is.
    d) I did something that I think would be interesting to you, or that would affect you/me, but I don't want to tell you what it is.
    e) I'm not sure if what I did was interesting or not, either to me, you, or objectively, so, for easiness, I'll just say that I did nothing.

They actually did 'something', even if it's moving slightly but, by the
    definition of 'nothing' that is deemed acceptable in the English language, what they said make sense to the person who they say it to, even if it might annoy the person that they say it to.

If the original post meant purely in a physics sense (which HateOCR's post appropriately answers to me - it's the absence of discernible
    stuff - of course, who is doing the discerning, how dilgently, what tools/logic they use, can be important in other cases) then the
    philosophy section wasn't the place for that unless you define that it's just to do with the physics sense.

ReputationRep:
    What is nothing
    It lies coiled in the heart of being - like a worm, apparently.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.