Turn on thread page Beta

Paypal theft - advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I ordered something via a facebook business page, came to an agreement on price via facebook messages. I then paid via paypal (stupidly I paid via gift payment,. I never received the item, after lots of delaying tactics from the seller, he finally agreed to refund me (also via facebook message) I have not received any goods or a refund and he still has my money. This was weeks ago and he has now blocked me on facebook and making no contact or attempt to refund. Would the police do anything about this as refusal to send goods means he has stolen my money? I can't file a paypal claim as I paid via gift payment. So will the police do anything about this for me? thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    To be honest I'm not sure what they can do, but you have proof that you would pay him X amount for the item, and then when you didn't get it, you have proof he said he would refund you X amount which hasn't occurred. Considering you paid via paypal can you contact them for advice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by jacksmith9898)
    I ordered something via a facebook business page, came to an agreement on price via facebook messages. I then paid via paypal (stupidly I paid via gift payment,. I never received the item, after lots of delaying tactics from the seller, he finally agreed to refund me (also via facebook message) I have not received any goods or a refund and he still has my money. This was weeks ago and he has now blocked me on facebook and making no contact or attempt to refund. Would the police do anything about this as refusal to send goods means he has stolen my money? I can't file a paypal claim as I paid via gift payment. So will the police do anything about this for me? thanks
    PayPal may be able to help you with it. I know they can if it's a payment (rather than gift), but I'm not sure how much they could help you with a gift payment.
    You could also report them to Facebook. They might not be able to help you, but hopefully they can stop them doing it to other people.
    I suppose the police might be able to help if you have a record of your agreement. You could go into your local station or call 101 to ask.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    With a gift PayPal will not let you dispute it unless it determines that 'Fraudulent Behavior' was on your account. That did not happen to you as you willingly sent the money. The whole point behind sending it as goods and services is so that you get that buyer protection. Never send as Friends & Family on PayPal unless they actually are.

One alternative is to go to your bank and get them to directly reverse the payment which in some cases they will do. Then PayPal will essentially charge-back without their appeal process as PayPal are not interested in getting a legal dispute with a bank.

From a Police perspective, unless you know the persons actual name and where about he lives, you wont get anywhere. PayPal will not give personal information bar a court order.

I Highly doubt you will get your money back from this so again, do not ever send as Friends & Family.

Source : I used to own an online business on PayPal and so have dealt with numerous incidents similar to this in the past.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Pretty sure there's nothing you can do because you paid as a gift.

Raise a dispute with PayPal anyway and send them screenshots of the messages etc but in all honesty they probably won't reverse it.

ReputationRep:
    In relation to getting a court order with Paypal would it need to be a high priced transaction?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is why you don't pay strangers as a gift on PayPal

ReputationRep:
    The police can’t do nothing. Be more careful in the future.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacksmith9898)
    In relation to getting a court order with Paypal would it need to be a high priced transaction?
    I use paypal for my business. We ensure that all customers sign invoices, if you're paying for a good or service, you pay using goods/services, anyone asking different isn't trustworthy, they will come up with excuses like "you will chargeback" but if you did, they would win anyway.

It wouldn't be worth taking to court unless you're willing to pay much more in legal fees. Best bet is calling up paypal, their email service isn't great. Ensure all your evidence is with you and also make sure that you have proof of him blocking you, him agreeing to a refund, him receiving the payment etc.

Good Luck!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.