Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medical Leniency Regarding Ear Infections? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how lenient the doctors are in the medical checks. I have not checked my medical records but I am quite sure that there will be a history of ear infections. I've visited the doctor probably twice a year for the last 3 years regarding ear infections, each time the infection has gone after a week or so of visiting the doctor to receive ear drops and steroid cream.

The forces all list recurring ear infections grounds for a P8 unfit for service.

My ear infections have never caused me any problem other than slight irritation. I have never experienced pain or problems with my balance.

Do you think that they would consider me especially if the ear infection should not affect my day-to-day life or will it be an instant P8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vodapo)
    Just wondering how lenient the doctors are in the medical checks. I have not checked my medical records but I am quite sure that there will be a history of ear infections. I've visited the doctor probably twice a year for the last 3 years regarding ear infections, each time the infection has gone after a week or so of visiting the doctor to receive ear drops and steroid cream.

The forces all list recurring ear infections grounds for a P8 unfit for service.

My ear infections have never caused me any problem other than slight irritation. I have never experienced pain or problems with my balance.

Do you think that they would consider me especially if the ear infection should not affect my day-to-day life or will it be an instant P8?
    You'll have to go through selection to find out. It'll be up to them how to define "recurring".

Your verdict on whether or not they've impacted you is, for this argument, irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You'll have to go through selection to find out. It'll be up to them how to define "recurring".

Your verdict on whether or not they've impacted you is, for this argument, irrelevant.
    When the decision is made, is it made in front of you during the physical medical assessment or done by Capita after the medical assessment?

When you say my verdict is irrelevant, do you mean it will have no bearing on their decision? Such as ear infection = unfit is a hard and fast rule, and nothing I say will be able to correct that if it is deemed that I have a recurring ear infection?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    When the decision is made, is it made in front of you during the physical medical assessment or done by Capita after the medical assessment?

When you say my verdict is irrelevant, do you mean it will have no bearing on their decision? Such as ear infection = unfit is a hard and fast rule, and nothing I say will be able to correct that if it is deemed that I have a recurring ear infection?

Thanks
    First part, unsure. Presume afterwards.

Second part, yes. You don't count in this, you're not a medical professional, and of course you'd say it's no big deal.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    the ear infection should not affect my day-to-day life
    The problem is, will it affect your day-to-day life in the military over the course of the next 40 years? Will you be flying in pressurised and unpressurised aircraft? Will you be posting ear plugs in your ears regularly? Will you be wearing ear defenders regularly? Will you be working in an environment where good hearing is a must for safety reasons? Will you be showering in hinky overseas water supplies? Are you being paid to be be fit all the time? Is the tax-payer underwriting your medical health? The answer is likely to be YES to all those during any career in the Armed Forces, which is why military health standards differ markedly from what's fine and unremarkable in civilian life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    The problem is, will it affect your day-to-day life in the military over the course of the next 40 years? Will you be flying in pressurised and unpressurised aircraft? Will you be posting ear plugs in your ears regularly? Will you be wearing ear defenders regularly? Will you be working in an environment where good hearing is a must for safety reasons? Will you be showering in hinky overseas water supplies? Are you being paid to be be fit all the time? Is the tax-payer underwriting your medical health? The answer is likely to be YES to all those during any career in the Armed Forces, which is why military health standards differ markedly from what's fine and unremarkable in civilian life.
    I personally do not think it would have any impact on my life in the military. I have headphones inside my ears every day with no ill effect. The infection does not affect my hearing at all and I would assume that air pressure in flight would have no effect either. The only impact it has is slight itchiness. But of course, I take on board that this is my uneducated opinion and the decision that is made by Capita medical is likely to be in my best interest. I also know that sometimes they make the wrong decision if someone appeals their medical disqualification and wins. I'm just upset that my dream could be over before it even begins all because of an ear infection that I have for maybe 2 weeks out of a year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.