Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have BBC A- Levels and I studied a Non- Law combined honours at the University of Manchester. I am currently doing the GDL followed by the LPC. I am living and studying in Manchester. What are my chances of getting a TC with a big national or city firm? Would I have to paralegal for a while? Will a distinction on the GDL and LPC trump my very average A-levels?

I have plenty of work experience!

Oh and I have a 2:1
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by scorpio127)
    Hi,

I have BBC A- Levels and I studied a Non- Law combined honours at the University of Manchester. I am currently doing the GDL followed by the LPC. I am living and studying in Manchester. What are my chances of getting a TC with a big national or city firm? Would I have to paralegal for a while? Will a distinction on the GDL and LPC trump my very average A-levels?

I have plenty of work experience!

Oh and I have a 2:1
    JSP Notoriety

May be kind enough to give you an opinion.

Most other candidates will have the grades. If you do really well, then you can always ask them if they will consider you. I wouldnt apply without doing that if they have an A level requirement as you could just be filtered out. If you do get distinctions then run it past them.

ReputationRep:
    I defer to J-SP on this one.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately there is not the one size fits all answer you want to these questions. There are too many variables.

Some firms will be impossible due to strict alevel criteri. Others will not care at all and make it just as feasible as the candidate with A and B grades
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I’m new here and I would like to get a bit of advice. I’m a second year law student (4 year degree) in Dublin and I’m very interested in training in London. I just want to get an objective oppinion on whether my application would be competitive enough to get vac schemes and training contracts next year.

My A level equivalent would be AAB.
    I’m studying a double major in Law and Chinese Studies at UCD (No.1 law school in Ireland), where I spend next year in Beijing.
    I got a high 1:1 in first year
    Pretty much garunteed a high 2:1, hopefully 1:1, based on first semester grades.
    Fluent in Spanish (Not sure if that’s relevant)

Legal work experience
    I was one of 20 students from 2nd and 3rd year picked to go on a 5 day Commercial study trip to 8 of the big London firms. Essentially it was 8 open days crammed into a week. I visited Clifford Chance, SM,Jones Day, HL, HSF, Dentons, Freshfields and DLA.

I have an internship in the CDR department of
    one of the top firms in Ireland in June.

I will be working as a research assistant to a visiting research professor at UCD from July-August. I will be investigating the effects of vertical restraints in competition law.

Extra curriculars
    I am on the College Varsity Basketball team.

I was also heavily involved with the campus charity- UCD Volunteers Overseas.
    I raised 2,600 Euro to a fund a construction and education project in Nicaragua which I completed over the summer.

Motivation
    I am really interested in international arbitration, especially in the construction and energy sectors. With China beginning to generate huge volumes of outbound investment and infrastructure projects with the One Belt One Road initiative, the two parts of my degree intersect quite nicely. Therefore I’m applying to firms with the top Arbitration and litigation practices. So far Im thinking of HSF, CMS, HL, White and Case, CC, Simmons and Simmons, DLA, NRF and Freshfields.

All feedback would be appreciated. Not sure how an Irish candidate would stack up against Oxbridge and RG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shanlon97)
    Hi guys, I’m new here and I would like to get a bit of advice. I’m a second year law student (4 year degree) in Dublin and I’m very interested in training in London. I just want to get an objective oppinion on whether my application would be competitive enough to get vac schemes and training contracts next year.

All sounds good - will depend on other work experience and how well you write by the looks of it. And your module grades.

The city tour won’t be seen as a big deal but is something to show your motivation for London on an app.

Although it’s good to have an interest in practice areas, be careful not to over play the international arbitration interest - you will need to show interest in other areas during your training contract.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.