Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    scorpio127

less than a minute ago

Hi,

I have BBC A- Levels and I studied a Non- Law combined honours at the University of Manchester. I am currently doing the GDL followed by the LPC. I am living and studying in Manchester. What are my chances of getting a TC with a big national or city firm? Would I have to paralegal for a while? Will a distinction on the GDL and LPC trump my very average A-levels?

I have plenty of work experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpio127)
    scorpio127

Hi,

I have BBC A- Levels and I studied a Non- Law combined honours at the University of Manchester. I am currently doing the GDL followed by the LPC. I am living and studying in Manchester. What are my chances of getting a TC with a big national or city firm? Would I have to paralegal for a while? Will a distinction on the GDL and LPC trump my very average A-levels?

I have plenty of work experience!
    Your grades at A-level are not the be-all and end-all, but they do put you at a disadvantage.

I had ABC at A-level, and a few dodgy marks in first year. However, I did manage to get a TC with a firm, and also had VS offers, so it's definitely possible.

It's difficult to know how much store firms put by the GDL, but I'm sure my distinction played a major role in convincing them I was worth interviewing. Purely on my own experience , it does help you get through the door. After that, it comes down to how you do on the day and grades are mostly immaterial.

Commercial work experience will be helpful. At least, mine was. I did loads of pro-bono stuff through the uni too. I would recommend really going for the distinction and putting the hours in - near everyone else will likely get a commendation, but they will probably have better A-levels than you, so it evens itself out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conradin1)
    Your grades at A-level are not the be-all and end-all, but they do put you at a disadvantage.

I had ABC at A-level, and a few dodgy marks in first year. However, I did manage to get a TC with a firm, and also had VS offers, so it's definitely possible.

It's difficult to know how much store firms put by the GDL, but I'm sure my distinction played a major role in convincing them I was worth interviewing. Purely on my own experience , it does help you get through the door. After that, it comes down to how you do on the day and grades are mostly immaterial.

Commercial work experience will be helpful. At least, mine was. I did loads of pro-bono stuff through the uni too. I would recommend really going for the distinction and putting the hours in - near everyone else will likely get a commendation, but they will probably have better A-levels than you, so it evens itself out.
    Thank you so much for this!!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.