Turn on thread page Beta

Kicked out of A levels. What are my options to go to university?!! watch

ReputationRep:
    So I did my AS levels last year in Chem, Biology and Maths and by the end of the year failed. This year I retook my AS levels in Maths, Physics and Computer Science but failed my mocks with U,U and D1. The D1 was in Computer Science. I have since been kicked out of school for under performing. As I have already retook A levels, doing it again is out of the question for me. What are my options to get into University to study Computer Science (I am totally fine with doing a foundation year or degree).

Currently I have looked at many universities and they all offer foundation years however I heard that I can only get into a foundation course if I have a Level 3 qualification in that specific subject. I found a level 3 apprenticeship in Software Development that suits me very well and was hoping to use that to go to do a foundation year next year at university however after speaking someone at the company they said that the apprenticeship would not offer any UCAS point :/

Considering all of this, Should I move forward and do the level 3 apprenticeship and apply for a foundation year next year?? Are there any other options for me to get into a foundation year for next year????

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by getaylevelm8)
    So I did my AS levels last year in Chem, Biology and Maths and by the end of the year failed. This year I retook my AS levels in Maths, Physics and Computer Science but failed my mocks with U,U and D1. The D1 was in Computer Science. I have since been kicked out of school for under performing. As I have already retook A levels, doing it again is out of the question for me. What are my options to get into University to study Computer Science (I am totally fine with doing a foundation year or degree).

Currently I have looked at many universities and they all offer foundation years however I heard that I can only get into a foundation course if I have a Level 3 qualification in that specific subject. I found a level 3 apprenticeship in Software Development that suits me very well and was hoping to use that to go to do a foundation year next year at university however after speaking someone at the company they said that the apprenticeship would not offer any UCAS point :/

Considering all of this, Should I move forward and do the level 3 apprenticeship and apply for a foundation year next year?? Are there any other options for me to get into a foundation year for next year????

Thanks
    A level 3 apprenticeship is equivalent to two A level passes according to this so are you sure you are talking about a level 3 apprenticeship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    A level 3 apprenticeship is equivalent to two A level passes according to this so are you sure you are talking about a level 3 apprenticeship?
    Yes I'm 100% sure. Here is the site to the apprenticeship Im looking to apply to if it helps: https://baltictraining.com/apprentices/vacancies/12299/

When I contacted one of their employees they said that I wouldnt gain any UCAS points from taking this apprenticeship

ReputationRep:
    Yes I quote after I asked her if I would receive any UCAS points to move on to uni she said, "It is the same level of qualification as doing your a levels but you don't get ucas points. You would be able to progress onto a level 4 apprenticeship which is the same as doing a foundation degree, however it just depends on the uni as to whether they would accept you onto their programme with an apprenticeship."

I need to be certain that in taking this apprenticeship I would be able to go onto do a foundation year at Uni next year
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Yes I quote after I asked her if I would receive any UCAS points to move on to uni she said, "It is the same level of qualification as doing your a levels but you don't get ucas points. You would be able to progress onto a level 4 apprenticeship which is the same as doing a foundation degree, however it just depends on the uni as to whether they would accept you onto their programme with an apprenticeship."

I need to be certain that in taking this apprenticeship I would be able to go onto do a foundation year at Uni next year
    Ah so maybe she meant you won't get any additional points compared to if you were just doing A levels. Email unis you are interested in and ask. They may even have it on their websites.

ReputationRep:
    Ah so maybe she meant you won't get any additional points compared to if you were just doing A levels. Email unis you are interested in and ask. They may even have it on their websites.
    Alright thank you. Will do
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Apprenticeships Advice and National Careers Service - is this something you can help with?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Thanks
    Hi There,

More than happy to offer some support with this one!

It may be that the A-level style of qualification doesn't suit you and your learning style so an apprenticeship could be a great alternative for you. There is no better or worse option or a one size fits all path it's all about what's right for you.

With the introduction of higher and degree level apprenticeships you may be able to progress to the same level as a graduate which is level 6 through an apprenticeship. Some universities will also look at level 4 and 5 qualifications achieved through an apprenticeship as a route onto a degree programme.

Another option would be to look into a BTEC Extended Diploma in I.T or Computer Science. This will give you the equivalent of the 3 A-levels you need with many universities now accepting BTEC's.

A level 3 apprenticeship is unlikely to lead you onto University as the qualification you will be working towards will most likely be an NVQ which doesn't give you UCAS points as it is a vocational style of qualification.

I hope this helps, if you have further questions I am more than happy to help you further or you can call us on 0800 100 900 or chat to an adviser one on one through our website - https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

Thanks - Sophie.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.