Turn on thread page Beta

University - Asking for extension on dissertation deadline watch

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes
    My undergrad dissertation is due 12th April 2018 I have been dealing with depression, anxiety and insomnia for the majority of this academic year so I registered with the disability service and was able to get a 7-day extension on my dissertation (from 5th April) I'm receiving treatment, and have managed about 3500 words so far, but I seem to be getting worse again and the physical symptoms are pretty bad right now, so I feel unwell most of the time I have a doctors appointment on Friday to see if there's anything else wrong with me/anything can help me, but would it be unreasonable to ask for a note and contact uni to see if I could get a further extension.
    Also, the regular deadline has just been extended to 10th April because of the bad weather and strikes, if that matters Should I ask for an extension or just load up on painkillers and caffeine and attempt to power through?

ReputationRep:
    I'd ask again for an extension. 7 days is nothing, do they really expect you to feel better within 7 days?

I got a year extension on my masters dissertation and it was really great to have so much pressure removed and I worked on it during periods of feeling well so I did a much better job of it. There's no way I could have done it in a week. This takes up a significant amount of your grade for your whole degree, I definitely don't think you should try to power through. Asking for a note is not unreasonable at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I'd ask again for an extension. 7 days is nothing, do they really expect you to feel better within 7 days?

I got a year extension on my masters dissertation and it was really great to have so much pressure removed and I worked on it during periods of feeling well so I did a much better job of it. There's no way I could have done it in a week. This takes up a significant amount of your grade for your whole degree, I definitely don't think you should try to power through. Asking for a note is not unreasonable at all.
    I agree with this. I would also show that you have started the paper and proof of the appointment to support your request.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.