Turn on thread page Beta

what financial options are open to me as a part time student? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what financial options im entitled to as I have spoke to my student financial advisor on campus aswell as my tutors at Uni who dont seem to have any answers for me other than I'm probably not entitled to anything, I have also approached my bank to see if there are any possible options to help me out (I'm with Halifax), they also qiuckly brushed me off as soon as they became aware I was a part time student and honnestly I'm finding it really frustrating that such little information is available to me and just dont know who can help me. I suffer from anxiety and depression due to some qiute traumatic events encountered in my childhood. My anxiety and depression is another huge burden when it comes to financial difficulties, it makes the problem appear alot worse than what it actually is, I often find my self really stressed out about money, losing lots of weight through not eating, all because I came to University, it is meant to be a benneficial process to me, and at the moment it is just making my mental health worse due to the financial side of things. As a part time student none of my educational trips tec are paid for unlike the full time students so I often can't attend due to the large financial amounts they cost, this makes me feel like I'm missing out on a vital part of my course aswell as worry that the tutors may think I do not take University seriously, when this is not the case atall. Moreover, I also pay for additional resources that are needed e.g. books, printing from what I earn in my part-time job, this is also proving to be a problem as qiute often I'm left with no money almost every month to afford essentials to live! I really hope someone has some answers for me and can help me out, all the worry and stress about money is really getting me down now and making it really hard for me to actually enjoy University, I've really considered dropping out simply because it's a massive financial burden on my life.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Hanmol98)
    I was just wondering what financial options im entitled to as I have spoke to my student financial advisor on campus aswell as my tutors at Uni who dont seem to have any answers for me other than I'm probably not entitled to anything, I have also approached my bank to see if there are any possible options to help me out (I'm with Halifax), they also qiuckly brushed me off as soon as they became aware I was a part time student and honnestly I'm finding it really frustrating that such little information is available to me and just dont know who can help me. I suffer from anxiety and depression due to some qiute traumatic events encountered in my childhood. My anxiety and depression is another huge burden when it comes to financial difficulties, it makes the problem appear alot worse than what it actually is, I often find my self really stressed out about money, losing lots of weight through not eating, all because I came to University, it is meant to be a benneficial process to me, and at the moment it is just making my mental health worse due to the financial side of things. As a part time student none of my educational trips tec are paid for unlike the full time students so I often can't attend due to the large financial amounts they cost, this makes me feel like I'm missing out on a vital part of my course aswell as worry that the tutors may think I do not take University seriously, when this is not the case atall. Moreover, I also pay for additional resources that are needed e.g. books, printing from what I earn in my part-time job, this is also proving to be a problem as qiute often I'm left with no money almost every month to afford essentials to live! I really hope someone has some answers for me and can help me out, all the worry and stress about money is really getting me down now and making it really hard for me to actually enjoy University, I've really considered dropping out simply because it's a massive financial burden on my life.
    Hi Hanmol98,

I'm sorry to hear about the stress the financial situation is causing you. For part-time students who started their course before 2018/19, the only funding available from SFE is the tuition fee loan and Disabled Students Allowance (if applicable). I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give advice on funding from other companies, hopefully other members on TSR may be able to offer advice.

Best wishes,

John.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.