Turn on thread page Beta

AQA A-Level Computer Science Papers 1 & 2 - 11th/15th June 2018 Exam Thread watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is the exam thread for AQA A-Level Computer Science (NOT THE AS-Level. The thread for the AS-Level can be found HERE)

As the A-Level was only first examined in 2017 (I was the first year to sit it ), there aren't many specific resources. However, the papers and resources from the old specification can be re-used.

I'll link a few useful pages below. I have linked old specification papers (COMP1-COMP3) because they're still useful for the new A-Level specification.

I hope your projects are going well and I hope they're also finished or at least close to completion by now! Time's ticking folks!

----------------------------------------------------

Resources (Click):

Specification

New Specification Papers and Specimen Papers

COMP1 Papers (Old Specification)

COMP2 Papers (Old Specification)

COMP3 Papers (Old Specification)

Semi-complete WikiBooks page for the new specification

Videos by justAlevel

Tips:

Make sure you familiarise yourself with the preliminary material. Your teacher should have distributed them by now. It was programmed in the OOP Paradigm last year for me so you better get used to it if you're used to procedural.

Be familiar with data structures and how to implement them in your programming language of choice.

TEST YOUR CODE!

Re-read the question!

Save the 2016/2017 and Specimen papers til last. They are as closest to the real thing so try and do the old-spec papers as revision first!

ReputationRep:
    thank you! do you have any decent visual/audio resources or quizzes available that can assist me in my revision?

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing vb.net?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello, this is a stupid question but is Words With AQA the code that is going to be used in the actual exam for paper 1 on the 11th June?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2332000)
    Hello, this is a stupid question but is Words With AQA the code that is going to be used in the actual exam for paper 1 on the 11th June?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Which external devices should I bother learning about in detail? the spec just says barcode reader, digital camera, Lazer printer and RFID tag but I've seen questions about others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_cow)
    this is the exam thread for aqa a-level computer science (not the as-level. The thread for the as-level can be found here)

as the a-level was only first examined in 2017 (i was the first year to sit it ), there aren't many specific resources. However, the papers and resources from the old specification can be re-used.

I'll link a few useful pages below. I have linked old specification papers (comp1-comp3) because they're still useful for the new a-level specification.

I hope your projects are going well and i hope they're also finished or at least close to completion by now! Time's ticking folks!

resources (click):

specification

new specification papers and specimen papers

comp1 papers (old specification)

comp2 papers (old specification)

comp3 papers (old specification)

semi-complete wikibooks page for the new specification

videos by justalevel

tips:

Make sure you familiarise yourself with the preliminary material. Your teacher should have distributed them by now. It was programmed in the oop paradigm last year for me so you better get used to it if you're used to procedural.

Be familiar with data structures and how to implement them in your programming language of choice.

test your code!

re-read the question!

Save the 2016/2017 and specimen papers til last. They are as closest to the real thing so try and do the old-spec papers as revision first!
    omg i love blue cow. That was the best bit about the story makers!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by gothai7)
    omg i love blue cow. That was the best bit about the story makers!
    I agree!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Evan0)
    Which external devices should I bother learning about in detail? the spec just says barcode reader, digital camera, Lazer printer and RFID tag but I've seen questions about others
    All of them. I've seen a 10 mark question (at least I think it was 10 marks) about external devices.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a list of differences between the old spec and new one? Just want to know which topics I need to practice questions on that won't be in old spec past papers. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    how are people revising for the coding exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhannah_b)
    how are people revising for the coding exam?
    I'm practising 7-8 possible improvements to the words with AQA sauce

ReputationRep:
    hello

ReputationRep:
    hello _Sear_ brother

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have or know any good sites with notes on the internet? My teacher went through the whole topic in two lessons and has missed so much out!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whichisbetter)
    Does anyone have a list of differences between the old spec and new one? Just want to know which topics I need to practice questions on that won't be in old spec past papers. Thanks!
    Here's a document with what is new what's been taken off and where topics are in more/less detail
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Specification Changes.docx (34.4 KB, 11 views)

ReputationRep:
    Been making questions on every topic in computing like a massive bank where everyone makes questions on every topic that try to mimic the actual questions that we could be asked. If you interested in joining tell me

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have copies of the 2014, 2015 and 2016 (perhaps even 2017 resit-only) papers from the old specification? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Everyone ready for the programming exam? (I'm not )

ReputationRep:
    guys do we have to learn how to CODE bubble sort and circular queues et for the skeleton part?????

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.