The Student Room Group

Home while studying at uni

I'm wondering if anyone who stayed at home while studying at uni could give me some insight into what the experience was like for them. I am seriously considering it and I want some first-hand advice to help me make a decision.
Original post by maeoc
I'm wondering if anyone who stayed at home while studying at uni could give me some insight into what the experience was like for them. I am seriously considering it and I want some first-hand advice to help me make a decision.

Ask on the Sheffield Hallam forum as one of the reps wrote an article about it.

I have home studied as well as done on campus study, so understand the differences and what you might miss out on or not, bt will leave it to others. Just do a pros and cons plus realise if you decide for one or the other then you can change in a year, plus there are things yu can do to minimise the disadvantages of either.
Original post by maeoc

Hi @maeoc,

I stayed at home and commuted to uni throughout my degree so thought I'd share my experience. I would say it is quite different to living on campus as you don't have to fend for yourself as much (like the food shop etc) and you can feel a little less part of the uni life but it definitely is what you make it! There's loads of opportunities to get involved, such as joining a society or sport, or taking part in co-curricular activities. It's great to have the flexibility of studying on campus or at home depending on your mood. Some days you'll stay later if you want to go out or have group work to do, and then other days you can head straight home. Plus you can save some money!

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Heather
Hi, I lived in halls for first year and in a student house for the first term of second year, before I moved back home due to drastic problems with my housemates. Commuting is a pain, but I have a lot less to worry about. I pay my mum a lump sum every month which covers rent, bills and food, instead of having to pay them all seperately.

I also get a bit down-hearted when I can't attend events or parties without having to find a sofa to crash on first. I guess it depends on you individually, which would be best for your lifestyle.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi @maeoc,

I stayed at home and commuted to uni throughout my degree so thought I'd share my experience. I would say it is quite different to living on campus as you don't have to fend for yourself as much (like the food shop etc) and you can feel a little less part of the uni life but it definitely is what you make it! There's loads of opportunities to get involved, such as joining a society or sport, or taking part in co-curricular activities. It's great to have the flexibility of studying on campus or at home depending on your mood. Some days you'll stay later if you want to go out or have group work to do, and then other days you can head straight home. Plus you can save some money!

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Heather

Thanks, this has been a real help! I do really think that, for me, the positives of staying at home outweigh the negatives but I was feeling a bit paranoid that that might not be the case
Reply 5
Original post by bulbafxck
Hi, I lived in halls for first year and in a student house for the first term of second year, before I moved back home due to drastic problems with my housemates. Commuting is a pain, but I have a lot less to worry about. I pay my mum a lump sum every month which covers rent, bills and food, instead of having to pay them all seperately.

I also get a bit down-hearted when I can't attend events or parties without having to find a sofa to crash on first. I guess it depends on you individually, which would be best for your lifestyle.

Hi, I think staying at home will generally be a lot easier for me, based on what I've heard from you and others. I'm not massively into parties and that so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending