Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    How do you keep a good work life balance - working and revising?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently thinking of taking CS2 and CM2 in one sitting next year. Am I being too ambitious with this? As these two modules are a combination of the 3 hardest CTs (CT4 CT6 and CT8).

I have another question in general regarding the new curriculum. Some subjects are now made up of a combination of 2 previous subjects eg CT1 and CT5 being combined into CM1. I want to know if this means that I will need to study up to 300 hours (i.e the recommended study time for 2 current CTs) or has the amount of study content been reduced by half and so I will only need to study for 125-150 hours for CM1.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by thiccc)
    Hi, I am currently thinking of taking CS2 and CM2 in one sitting next year. Am I being too ambitious with this? As these two modules are a combination of the 3 hardest CTs (CT4 CT6 and CT8).

I have another question in general regarding the new curriculum. Some subjects are now made up of a combination of 2 previous subjects eg CT1 and CT5 being combined into CM1. I want to know if this means that I will need to study up to 300 hours (i.e the recommended study time for 2 current CTs) or has the amount of study content been reduced by half and so I will only need to study for 125-150 hours for CM1.

Yes that is ambitious but of course it does depend how much preparation you have done and how familiar you are with that part of the syllabus. I would suggest that you wait until the sample papers are released at the beginning of June 2018 which will give you an indication of the types of question and their difficulty.

On the study hours we have revised these and they will shortly be available on the website. But it is not a simple doubling of the CT hours. It is more in the region of 200-250hrs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to uni to study actuarial science this year, how does it work if my uni gives exemptions on ct1-ct8 when there's a new curriculum, which exams will i be exempt from on the new curriculum?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 12345username)
    I'm going to uni to study actuarial science this year, how does it work if my uni gives exemptions on ct1-ct8 when there's a new curriculum, which exams will i be exempt from on the new curriculum?
    When you apply to become a student member with us - you will need to apply for exemptions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InstituteAndFacultyofActuaries)
    How do you keep a good work life balance - working and revising?
    How can IFoA justify the huge number of exams and the huge volume of materials people have to study in order to qualify as an actuary in the UK? The study leave offered by employers is nowhere near enough time meaning people have to sacrifice evenings, weekends, bank holidays and holiday leave over many years, in some cases 10+ years, in order to prepare. The IFoA's Royal Charter Bye law 45 states that they may only enter into mutual recognition agreements with foreign actuarial associations who have equivalent qualification standards. IFoA have entered into such agreements with European associations. Yet on the continent it doesn't take anywhere near the time, trouble, difficulty and cost to qualify as an actuary then they can get recognised as qualified in the UK with the IFoA with just a year's supervised work experience. Therefore those on the continent don't need to make the same sacrifices to qualify and have a much better work life balance since often they are considered qualified straight after doing an University degree, while in the UK there is no 3 year University degree where you can graduate as fully qualified actuary. It is for IFoA to explain these discrepancies and why they're making it so hard to qualify in the UK compared to what others have to do on the continent.

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.