Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For 2015/16, I studied in full the first year of Film Studies (three-year course, for Bachelor's of Arts). This was ~£9000 in tuition fees + maintenance grant and maintenance loan.

For 2016/17, I switched to a computing HND course. This a two year course, with an optional third year where you top up to a 'full degree'/BSc. I have finished the first year of this course, for which Student Finance England paid the tuition fees (£6000), plus my maintenance loan and maintenance grant. The second year, which I am very close to finishing, Student Finance England again paid my tuition fees (£6000) as well again my grant and loan.

I really want to do to third top-up year, where I top up to the Computing BSC Hons. This final third year will be taught at De Montfort University. It will be £9000. As I have had three years' worth of student finance already, will Student Finance again pay my tuition fees + my grant + my loan?

My research suggests that, yes, they will, as they generally allow your course's number of years + 1. However, confirmation would be fantastic. Here's hoping everything I've written makes sense. Best regards.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Holty55)
    For 2015/16, I studied in full the first year of Film Studies (three-year course, for Bachelor's of Arts). This was ~£9000 in tuition fees + maintenance grant and maintenance loan.

For 2016/17, I switched to a computing HND course. This a two year course, with an optional third year where you top up to a 'full degree'/BSc. I have finished the first year of this course, for which Student Finance England paid the tuition fees (£6000), plus my maintenance loan and maintenance grant. The second year, which I am very close to finishing, Student Finance England again paid my tuition fees (£6000) as well again my grant and loan.

I really want to do to third top-up year, where I top up to the Computing BSC Hons. This final third year will be taught at De Montfort University. It will be £9000. As I have had three years' worth of student finance already, will Student Finance again pay my tuition fees + my grant + my loan?

My research suggests that, yes, they will, as they generally allow your course's number of years + 1. However, confirmation would be fantastic. Here's hoping everything I've written makes sense. Best regards.
    Hi Holty55,

You are correct, you will still be eligible to receive full funding for your top up year. However, when you go on to do a top up year, you're actually classed as being a new student again, meaning that there would be no maintenance grant available (this was removed in 2016/17), you would instead receive a higher rate of maintenance loan than you previously received.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.