The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics (Old Spec) - Pure Core 3 MPC3 - 13 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find the 2018 AQA Core 3 Exam?

Amazing! :woo: 23%
Good :H 28%
Okay :bebored: 28%
Bad :cry2: 14%
HORRIBLE PAPER! :@7%
Total votes: 607

AQA A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Core 3
Date: Wednesday 13th June 2018
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 37

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find the more recent papers here and the older ones here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. You can find the Core 3 materials here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence! :afraid:

Other AQA Exam Threads:
AQA AS Decision 1 (MD01) - 22nd June
AQA A2 Decision 2 (MD02) - 26th June
AQA AS Further Pure 1 (MFP1) - 13th June
AQA A2 Further Pure 2 (MFP2) - 22rd June
AQA A2 Further Pure 3 (MFP3) - 16th May
AQA A2 Further Pure 4 (MFP4) - 23rd May
AQA AS Mechanics 1 (MM1B) - 19th June
AQA A2 Mechanics 2 (MM2B) - 25th June
AQA A2 Mechanics 3 (MM03) - 6th June
AQA AS Statistics 1 (MS1B) - 6th June
AQA A2 Statistics 2 (MS2B) - 19th June
AQA A2 Statistics 3 (MS03) - 25th June
AQA A2 Statistics 4 (MS04) - 26th June
AQA AS Core 1 (MPC1) - 16th May
AQA AS Core 2 (MPC2) - 23rd May
AQA A2 Core 4 (MPC4) - 15th June
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Protostar

AQA A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Core 3
Date: Wednesday 13th June 2018
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 97

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find the more recent papers here and the older ones here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. You can find the Core 3 materials here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence! :afraid:

Other AQA Exam Threads:
AQA AS Decision 1 (MD01) - 22nd June
AQA A2 Decision 2 (MD02) - 26th June
AQA AS Further Pure 1 (MFP1) - 13th June
AQA A2 Further Pure 2 (MFP2) - 22rd June
AQA A2 Further Pure 3 (MFP3) - 16th May
AQA A2 Further Pure 4 (MFP4) - 23rd May
AQA AS Mechanics 1 (MM1B) - 19th June
AQA A2 Mechanics 2 (MM2B) - 25th June
AQA A2 Mechanics 3 (MM03) - 6th June
AQA AS Statistics 1 (MS1B) - 6th June
AQA A2 Statistics 2 (MS2B) - 19th June
AQA AS Core 1 (MPC1) - 16th May
AQA AS Core 2 (MPC2) - 23rd May
AQA A2 Core 4 (MPC4) - 15th June

Hey, that's great! I'm finding the past papers a bit of a challenge but hopefully it'll work out. How are you finding revision?
Original post by science_geeks
Hey, that's great! I'm finding the past papers a bit of a challenge but hopefully it'll work out. How are you finding revision?

Same really! Got my first ever A* in a past paper yesterday so fingers crossed eh? :biggrin: I'm just doing papers now, but I'll go back and look at the odd thing occasionally (mainly those inverse trig graphs cos I always forget them :colondollar:) How about you?
Same really! Got my first ever A* in a past paper yesterday so fingers crossed eh? :biggrin: I'm just doing papers now, but I'll go back and look at the odd thing occasionally (mainly those inverse trig graphs cos I always forget them :colondollar:) How about you?

That's great! :smile: Same, I'm doing practice questions at the moment and the odd, past paper! Definitely, it's not like you can work them out either you need to know them! Which modules are you doing? I'm doing C3, C4, M1 and D1. I find M1 and D1 such a struggle :frown:
That's great! :smile: Same, I'm doing practice questions at the moment and the odd, past paper! Definitely, it's not like you can work them out either you need to know them! Which modules are you doing? I'm doing C3, C4, M1 and D1. I find M1 and D1 such a struggle :frown:

Yeah exactly - I still just bang the equation into table mode on my calculator and try and work it out from there when I forget but I always still drop at least a mark :emo: I'm doing C3, C4 and S1, I did M1 last year and loved it (and D1 too but I didn't love that :tongue:). What is it about the two of them you find tough?
Yeah exactly - I still just bang the equation into table mode on my calculator and try and work it out from there when I forget but I always still drop at least a mark :emo: I'm doing C3, C4 and S1, I did M1 last year and loved it (and D1 too but I didn't love that :tongue:). What is it about the two of them you find tough?

That's cool. I feel with M1 it's more understanding the question so, I'd understand the topic - kinematics but as soon as they throw a curveball question I'd be completely thrown off. And same goes with D1 there are so many places to make mistakes like, if you don't know the algorithm that's an easy 4/5 marks gone. So I have to spend a lot of time going over the algorithms and making sure I know how to do them and not making any silly mistakes! :colondollar: (I do that a lot!)
That's cool. I feel with M1 it's more understanding the question so, I'd understand the topic - kinematics but as soon as they throw a curveball question I'd be completely thrown off. And same goes with D1 there are so many places to make mistakes like, if you don't know the algorithm that's an easy 4/5 marks gone. So I have to spend a lot of time going over the algorithms and making sure I know how to do them and not making any silly mistakes! :colondollar: (I do that a lot!)

Ah yeah, it can sometimes take a while to gauge what the questions are actually wanting you to do in M1 - it'll definitely come with practice though :yep: And I totally agree about D1, you have to really know each process like the back of your hand (also so you don't need to spend too long in the exam just thinking about how to answer the questions, as you're pushed for time enough as it is!). They'll go in soon enough, and silly mistakes are always better than a complete lack of knowledge! :smile:
Ah yeah, it can sometimes take a while to gauge what the questions are actually wanting you to do in M1 - it'll definitely come with practice though :yep: And I totally agree about D1, you have to really know each process like the back of your hand (also so you don't need to spend too long in the exam just thinking about how to answer the questions, as you're pushed for time enough as it is!). They'll go in soon enough, and silly mistakes are always better than a complete lack of knowledge! :smile:

Definitely, I couldn't agree more :yes: It's really just practice with maths! Time's always an issue! Hopefully, it's all worth it in the end! :smile:
Definitely, I couldn't agree more :yes: It's really just practice with maths! Time's always an issue! Hopefully, it's all worth it in the end! :smile:

It really is :tongue: Hopefully it will be yeah, good luck! :rave:
It really is :tongue: Hopefully it will be yeah, good luck! :rave:

Thank you! Good luck too! :biggrin:
I have the C3 and C4 2017 paper as i done it for my mock I was wondering if anyone had the mark scheme.
im sitting this paper too along with c4, s1, d1 and resit c1 after failing it due to overconfidence and rushing through it.
worst paper this time round is c4, struggling with trig.
I have the C4 and c3 2017 papers anyone willing to swap for C1 or D1 thanks

I missed your post when I was last on this topic but I have a hint for you.

when you're doing inverse trig graphs, if you look at the normal graph the inverse is just a rotation.
when I draw an inverse function I rotate my page and draw it normally. then when I look at the page normally, then the inverse is shown.

I hope this makes sense.
I struggle with the c3 and c4 trig.
Original post by RuthieG101

when you're doing inverse trig graphs, if you look at the normal graph the inverse is just a rotation.
when I draw an inverse function I rotate my page and draw it normally. then when I look at the page normally, then the inverse is shown.

I hope this makes sense.

Ooh that’s a good idea! I shall try it the next time I practice :smile:
Hi I have the C1 2017 paper and the mark scheme. Would you be willing to swap for C4 2017 thanks

I hope this makes sense.

No, it's not. The inverses are reflections in y=x for the domains of the standard trig graphs where they're one-to-one
im sitting this paper too along with c4, s1, d1 and resit c1 after failing it due to overconfidence and rushing through it.
worst paper this time round is c4, struggling with trig.

How’s ur preparation for S1?
Reply 18
nevermind
(edited 5 years ago)
I reckon they will make this paper solid

Quick Reply

Latest