Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I decided to answer a few questions, as when I was previously on TSR a few years back, I got a lot of helpful advice regarding applications etc.

Feel free to ask away. Although, please refrain from asking; what firm, salary questions, as I will not answer.

Anything else (to an extent), is green zone, ask away.

Obvious Disclaimer: Any advice is just MY opinion and not the opinion of my firm.

ReputationRep:
    Starting salary?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Did you study law at uni? Did you go to a RG university? How many rejections did you face before getting a TC offer? What do you think set your application and interview/s apart, if anything?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I spot some unfortunate vagueness in the title.

Is this 'top international law firm' US, MC, SC, or below?

I don't think that we can take anyone as authority if they we don't know exactly how selective and distinguished their firm is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Ah, I spot some unfortunate vagueness in the title.

Is this 'top international law firm' US, MC, SC, or below?

I don't think that we can take anyone as authority if they we don't know exactly how selective and distinguished their firm is.
    Hi Johan,

It is a US Firm. I was reluctant to put it in the title, as people will always ask questions to guess the firm.

ReputationRep:
    The more specific you are, the more helpful you can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insecable)
    Did you study law at uni? Did you go to a RG university? How many rejections did you face before getting a TC offer? What do you think set your application and interview/s apart, if anything?
    (Original post by JTBennett)
    Of course, I understand where you are coming from. However, as evidenced, people will usually try and ring around a question to gather "which firm". I will try and be clear in my responses to questions.
    Fair enough. See above poster's question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insecable)
    1) Did you study law at uni? 2) Did you go to a RG university? 3) How many rejections did you face before getting a TC offer? 4) What do you think set your application and interview/s apart, if anything?
    1) Yes
    2) I attended a RG university
    3) Whilst I cannot remember the exact amount, I would say around 15-20 (A whole cycle worth of TC apps) and maybe 25ish VS apps.

4) There are a number of things, which I personally believe, I improved;

a) Confidence - Attending so many interviews, assessment centres helped ease my nerves. (Been there done that attitude). Plenty of people, take rejection to heart, I advise not too. It is very unlikely that, you will apply to one firm and get in. Use EVERY application, as a learning opportunity. The very first firm I applied for, I got to the AC (3 previous stages), I was gutted when I got rejected, in fact I lost a lot of confidence. Looking back, I am not surprised, comparing my first AC to my successful AC, there was a huge difference.

b) My grades. I averaged (scraped) a 2:1 in first year. Inevitably got straight rejections from a lot of firms. In second year, I picked myself up, mostly firsts few 2:1s although I did fail a module, simply due to very bad decision making on my part. Last year 70+ in each module.

c) Apply for firms where you have a genuine interest in their practice areas.

EDIT: I cannot obviously know what set my application apart, but I feel the things above, are what I did better than before.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.