Silly question about browser history / cookies when booking flights Watch

DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So I'm going to be booking flights later this week for the summer, and I've already been searching and found the flights I want. I've heard you should clear your history / cache / cookies after because airlines increase prices if they know you've looked before.

I have so many passwords etc. saved on Chrome that I'm reluctant to clear everything, but I want to get the best price.

My question is - if I search for flights previously using Chrome, but then use Internet Explorer to go on the site again to book, will my history etc. carry through as well? Will the airline know I've looked before if I use a different browser?

Sorry it seems a really stupid question but I'm not very tech savvy and saving a few pounds will be really useful.
UWS
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
So I'm going to be booking flights later this week for the summer, and I've already been searching and found the flights I want. I've heard you should clear your history / cache / cookies after because airlines increase prices if they know you've looked before.

I have so many passwords etc. saved on Chrome that I'm reluctant to clear everything, but I want to get the best price.

My question is - if I search for flights previously using Chrome, but then use Internet Explorer to go on the site again to book, will my history etc. carry through as well? Will the airline know I've looked before if I use a different browser?

Sorry it seems a really stupid question but I'm not very tech savvy and saving a few pounds will be really useful.
Try incognito mode on Chrome. Cookies aren't saved and it's as if you browsed the site for the first time.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ode-do-exactly

Just log out of your Google account before doing so, just to be 100% sure.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by UWS)
Try incognito mode on Chrome. Cookies aren't saved and it's as if you browsed the site for the first time.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ode-do-exactly

Just log out of your Google account before doing so, just to be 100% sure.
I never thought of that, thank you!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I cleared my browsing history and it made no difference whatsoever to flight prices.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm interested to know if this is a myth or not. I've seen prices go both up very quickly and seemingly without reason, but also down.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (958)
90.63%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (99)
9.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise