Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

AQA A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Decision 2
    Date: Tuesday 26th June 2018
    Time: Morning
    Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
    Days to go?: 2 :crazy:

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find the more recent papers here and the older ones here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. You can find the Decision 2 materials here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence!

Other AQA Exam Threads:
    AQA AS Decision 1 (MD01) - 22nd June
    AQA AS Further Pure 1 (MFP1) - 13th June
    AQA A2 Further Pure 2 (MFP2) - 22rd June
    AQA A2 Further Pure 3 (MFP3) - 16th May
    AQA A2 Further Pure 4 (MFP4) - 23rd May
    AQA AS Mechanics 1 (MM1B) - 19th June
    AQA A2 Mechanics 2 (MM2B) - 25th June
    AQA A2 Mechanics 3 (MM03) - 6th June
    AQA AS Statistics 1 (MS1B) - 6th June
    AQA A2 Statistics 2 (MS2B) - 19th June
    AQA A2 Statistics 3 (MS03) - 25th June
    AQA A2 Statistics 4 (MS04) - 26th June
    AQA AS Core 1 (MPC1) - 16th May
    AQA AS Core 2 (MPC2) - 23rd May
    AQA A2 Core 3 (MPC3) - 13th June
    AQA A2 Core 4 (MPC4) - 15th June
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's looking a bit desolate around here at the minute but if anyone is sitting D2 this year, how are you managing your time? I find a paper takes me about 2 hours when I'm taking my time over it, rather than the 1h30 we're given! I'm wondering if anyone has any D2 time management tips for me! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    It's looking a bit desolate around here at the minute but if anyone is sitting D2 this year, how are you managing your time? I find a paper takes me about 2 hours when I'm taking my time over it, rather than the 1h30 we're given! I'm wondering if anyone has any D2 time management tips for me! :laugh:
    Hi there, I manage to finish a D2 paper with around 2 mins to spare each time. When I was in your position I took the questions from the early papers and divided them by topic and then I did each question by topic one after the other and tried to get faster as I did each one. After all of those, do a couple of past papers and hopefully you will be able to complete it in the given time! Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    My biggest problem time wise is Simplex questions. Just do as many of those as you can and try to get fast at them, sometimes they're worth so few marks for how many fiddily calculations you have to do. The only saving grace of D2 is game theory questions, they're usually worth a lot of marks and don't take too long.

Worst case scenario; if you've only got a few minutes left, try and find a game theory question and do it, so many more accessible marks in the time frame than anything else in the paper! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Leave the questions that take ages (Simplex) until the end to make sure you get all of the marks on the quicker questions.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any tips for how to deal with "resource levelling" questions? For example, in critical path analysis, when you only have 2 workers available??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by math24601)
    Anyone have any tips for how to deal with "resource levelling" questions? For example, in critical path analysis, when you only have 2 workers available??
    Ah the most annoying question on the paper! There is no method to accomplish this, unfortunately you just have to think about how blocks would move if a certain number of workers were available and think about the time that that adds on, it even says in the spec that a heuristic approach must be used

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deceth1720)
    Ah the most annoying question on the paper! There is no method to accomplish this, unfortunately you just have to think about how blocks would move if a certain number of workers were available and think about the time that that adds on, it even says in the spec that a heuristic approach must be used
    Ah ok thanks. I guess I’ll just have to accept that there will always be a couple marks I’ll drop then because I can never seem to work it out 😫 I’ll just hope it’s no more than a few marks so I still have a chance at 100 UMS
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    actually praying back flows don't come up in the network flows question lol have no clue what to do there

ReputationRep:
    Is there a method to do m x 2 zero sum games other than by just eliminating all but 2 rows graphically by performing first on the columns?

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find it? I thought it was relatively easy but non standard.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How did everyone find it??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by zeldor711)
    How did everyone find it? I thought it was relatively easy but non standard.
    Agreed the Simplex question was very none standard! I’m doubting myself that I wrote the right thing now though tbh

ReputationRep:
    how many saddle points did people get for the last question?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jdez24)
    how many saddle points did people get for the last question?
    I only got 2 (WA and WD I think) but I heard everyone got 4

ReputationRep:
    I only got 2 (WA and WD I think) but I heard everyone got 4
    yeah i got 4
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jdez24)
    yeah i got 4
    Well done
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What did everyone get as their interval for the last question? Also who did you get as not doing an activity in the Hungarian

ReputationRep:
    For the dynamic programming question, was it minimax or just minimising? I thought it was minimising because he wants the least amount of time, but then I thought it could be minimax because he wants to minimise the longest time. Either way, I put minimising so I'm pretty sure I lost 11 marks there T_T

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone get as their interval for the last question? Also who did you get as not doing an activity in the Hungarian
    I didn't get an interval for a in that question, but I did the others (don't know if they're right though). Me and my friend got Tom.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.