Turn on thread page Beta

Do you reckon we're under too much pressure? watch

ReputationRep:
    I feel like young people are put under so much pressure to perform well and get good grades and there is not enough focus on mental health and well being in school or enough support for bullying, mental health or problems. You put in loads of work for a paper with grades on which don't matter on 10 or 20 years, only to get into college and university and only occasionally in employment. What do you guys think? Feel free to post your thoughts below! 😀
    Purple monkeys x

ReputationRep:
    100%. All of our creativity and free spirited minds are essentially squeezed out of us through the educational system. We’re taught things that benefit “their” society, learning the basics in subjects like Maths and English is fair enough, but apart from that i think the system needs to tailor more people on an individual basis.

There should 100% be more open discussions on mental health because it’s our brains n mind that hold the key to success, so it makes no sense to stray away from that, it should be at the forefront of a system.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's ****ing hellish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinizel)
    100%. All of our creativity and free spirited minds are essentially squeezed out of us through the educational system. We’re taught things that benefit “their” society, learning the basics in subjects like Maths and English is fair enough, but apart from that i think the system needs to tailor more people on an individual basis.

There should 100% be more open discussions on mental health because it’s our brains n mind that hold the key to success, so it makes no sense to stray away from that, it should be at the forefront of a system.
    So true, both mental health and creativity should be more important and life skills should be regular in school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purplemonkeys)
    I feel like young people are put under so much pressure to perform well and get good grades and there is not enough focus on mental health and well being in school or enough support for bullying, mental health or problems. You put in loads of work for a paper with grades on which don't matter on 10 or 20 years, only to get into college and university and only occasionally in employment. What do you guys think? Feel free to post your thoughts below! 😀
    Purple monkeys x
    The world is a competitive place, you can choose to ignore but you will then fall behind

Which university you get into depends on your grades
    Which job you get depends on your university.

Do you really want to be on 0 hour contract 20 years from now at pound land because you found Maths A Level stressful ? or would you rather be mid way through your career earning 40k and taking holidays to dubai every summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    The world is a competitive place, you can choose to ignore but you will then fall behind

Do you really want to be on 0 hour contract 20 years from now at pound land because you found Maths A Level stressful ? or would you rather be mid way through your career earning 40k and taking holidays to dubai every summer.
    Good uni doesn’t always equal good job. I hate that people think a degree and university is the only way into a good job. I’ve seen more successful people without university degrees than with. All I see now is student (regardless of university or degree) struggling to get a job anywhere or onto a graduate placement.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Believe me I'm not saying I won't work hard because I will but I mean the system is bad, besides as long as you're financially stable and have enough money for a comfortable living and to indulge in a few luxuries and the occasional holiday perhaps, then you don't need more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily048)
    Good uni doesn’t always equal good job. I hate that people think a degree and university is the only way into a good job. I’ve seen more successful people without university degrees than with. All I see now is student (regardless of university or degree) struggling to get a job anywhere or onto a graduate placement.
    it does unless you come out with a 3rd and didnt put the effort in to get internships and network.

Those successful people without degrees, also had to put effort in but in a different way like learning an instrument or spending hours in the gym to maintain fitness.

nothing is easy.

you must be in the company of students who are not under pressure and hence dont bother applying themselves pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purplemonkeys)
    Believe me I'm not saying I won't work hard because I will but I mean the system is bad, besides as long as you're financially stable and have enough money for a comfortable living and to indulge in a few luxuries and the occasional holiday perhaps, then you don't need more.
    yea I get that.

What annual salary would you count as financially stable ?

most retail jobs pay 15,

ReputationRep:
    yeah I remember when Prince Harry tried to highlight mental health illness by talking about his own experiences dealing with mental health problems and the comments on daily mail were divided. some felt sorry for him but other idiots left comments like 'hes a royal, we don't want to hear royals talk about stuff like this'! I was like what the **** does his status have to do with anything? is it better if he just kept it to himself and then killed himself? some ****ing people, I swear. the problem is that a lot of people just don't bloody care enough about other peoples plights! Selfish world we still live in

ReputationRep:
    If you don't procrastinate, you can easily do amazing and still have a great social life.

ReputationRep:
    yea I get that.

What annual salary would you count as financially stable ?

most retail jobs pay 15,
    It depends, as long as I can pay bills and stuff then my main focus is doing what I love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie4)
    yeah I remember when Prince Harry tried to highlight mental health illness by talking about his own experiences dealing with mental health problems and the comments on daily mail were divided. some felt sorry for him but other idiots left comments like 'hes a royal, we don't want to hear royals talk about stuff like this'! I was like what the **** does his status have to do with anything? is it better if he just kept it to himself and then killed himself? some ****ing people, I swear. the problem is that a lot of people just don't bloody care enough about other peoples plights! Selfish world we still live in
    I know right. It's awful!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.