Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I am currently doing A-Level English literature, Englsih language and History.

Despite this, I have a desire to study Korean in university.

I do not know any Korean so would I still be able to apply for a course? Would the course be able to support someone who doesn't know anything about the language?

I don't know if it's a risk I should take, since I am doing well in my A-Levels. Should I just continue in university with subjects I am familiar with and perhaps enjoy less or Korean which I am passionate to do but don't even know the basics about?

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    By your name I can tell you like BTS. Although you may like Korean( I do too and have been studying it for a while by myself). It's best that you keep it as a hobby and teach it yourself over time and pursue a career with your current a-levels. It doesn't bring many good job prospects as Korea is fairly small and is not a "worldwide language". I once did also want to study it at university, but then I realised I can't really get a job with korean
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm currently holding offers to study Korean at uni and (fingers crossed exams go well) will be studying it this September. I've made a thread about the application process and the subject as a whole which you can find here if you think that would be helpful, but in short you don't need any previous knowledge of Korean to be accepted onto the course. It's a really broad and interesting course with a lot of good career prospects which I talk about more on my thread, but overall I think it's a great course! I might be slightly biased though haha.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.