Turn on thread page Beta

Sometimes I think my depression is making it seem like happiness isn't real for anyone over 20 years of age.

Other times I feel like I'm one of the few miserable souls on Earth

is Happiness real? or is it constantly overshadowed by worry and pain?

These might seem like dumb questions but whenever I see people and talk to them I question whether they are putting up an act or whether they are actually excited and happy about their life and future.

ReputationRep:
    To actually ask this...damn man I hope everything gets better for you. The long and short answer for everyone is happiness is real. However, its true, many people put up an act.

ReputationRep:
    Happiness is absolutely real! And this is coming from someone diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety at 23 who was considered unable to work.

I'm very happy with my life right now and where it is going. When I was my worst point in 2016 I analysed what was wrong in my life and with my mindset and have been working as hard as I can to change it. It is a struggle to keep that optimism up everyday but I'm working at it. Sometimes the depression wins and I can't find the strength to get out of bed or a social situation will have me on the verge of a panic attack. But other days (like today!) I totally kick it's ass.

I see depression as something I am actively fighting against. And it wins when I give up. Unfortunately for it I'm a stubborn *****.

ReputationRep:
    No, I never feel happy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly content with where my life is at the moment. Sure theres room for improvement but in comparison to where I used to be, things have definitely improved. My mental health is better, my financial state is better, my relationship with my family is much better. I now like my life my way, unashamedly, I feel like I have some focus as to where I'm going and plenty of control over everything. Everything just makes more sense to me now, my brain is clearer. And I actually have less friends than before but it suits me fine because those 'friends' I used to have were VERY toxic and constantly made me feel crap about myself. I'm glad I finally came to that realisation soon enough, best decision I ever made. Keep your mind positive, appreciate what you DO have rather than what you DON'T. Happiness is contentment.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sometimes I think my depression is making it seem like happiness isn't real for anyone over 20 years of age.

These might seem like dumb questions but whenever I see people and talk to them I question whether they are putting up an act or whether they are actually excited and happy about their life and future.
    I remember wondering this exact same thing when I had depression. I would wonder if everybody just wandered though life with fleeting moments of happiness and if actually what I was feeling was more normal than I thought and I was just having a hard time adjusting to how life feels.
    Now though, with my mental state far better I can say that yes people can be truly happy and not just for fleeting moments because I am. Sure sometimes I worry too, but it's negatives in the positive rather than the other way round like it used to be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Dont know. Everyone around me seems happy except me

Dude, 20 is nothing, just live your life. Happiness is real and it is inside you waiting to be released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Feel a bit sad and it's 'depression' Jesus what's happening to everyone, bloody snowflakes
    You can't possible know what other people are feeling. That is truly an awful mentality to have. I don't know why you'd even bother to write that as it clearly adds nothing of value to the discussion.

To those of you who are suffering - yes happiness is real, and hopefully things will get better for you. As circumstances are different for everybody, I think the only advice to give is that happiness is something that you need to work for as it is not something that just comes naturally for most people. If you really do feel depressed and you are struggling then please seek help - go and speak to your Doctor if you are comfortable with that. Opening the dialogue is the first step to finding help and to getting better.

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeah i'm happy, but that doesn't mean i don't have worries. Its thinking about the worries too much is the problem.

Also, anyone without any experience with mental issues making fun of them is a ****ing troglodyte (@Smegggy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheckYaSpam)
    You can't possible know what other people are feeling. That is truly an awful mentality to have. I don't know why you'd even bother to write that as it clearly adds nothing of value to the discussion.

To those of you who are suffering - yes happiness is real, and hopefully things will get better for you. As circumstances are different for everybody, I think the only advice to give is that happiness is something that you need to work for as it is not something that just comes naturally for most people. If you really do feel depressed and you are struggling then please seek help - go and speak to your Doctor if you are comfortable with that. Opening the dialogue is the first step to finding help and to getting better.
    This may be genuine but so many people claim to have depression, mental ilness, it's not possible that all are genuine.
    Jumping on the*bandwagon
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 403Forbidden)
    Hell yeah i'm happy, but that doesn't mean i don't have worries. Its thinking about the worries too much is the problem.

Also, anyone without any experience with mental issues making fun of them is a ****ing troglodyte (@Smegggy)
    I didn't make fun of you, my father has a mental illness. I know how difficult it is as I've had to live with him.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been happy in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Yes I've had a period of true happiness, content and freedom. The most amazing and euphoric period of my life.

But now I am severely depressed and suicidal after a major incident.

It does now feel that happiness is unattainable and perhaps even not real. I see other people and I suppose I can not understand how they are happy, but it is just about perspective.

It is worth holding on and need to have hope. I hope you do find happiness.

ReputationRep:
    Happiness is a balance of joy and bad times.
    Would you really be happy if all your life was easy and smooth going. You might think you will but in reality you probably won’t.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.