Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been offered a place, thinking of going,applied or offered an interview?

ReputationRep:
    I've offered and accepted my place... although I am currently having doubts about it Have you been offered a place?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've been offered a place, I had an interview late November. What soet of doubts are you having? I'll admit I'm nervous, scared, excited, and then I think wow can i actually do it? X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsG1990)
    Hello, I've been offered a place, I had an interview late November. What soet of doubts are you having? I'll admit I'm nervous, scared, excited, and then I think wow can i actually do it? X
    Wow your interview was really early, I didn't mine until mid January. Just if I actually want to go, it would mean moving 2 hours away from home. The cost of the accommodation too is quite a bit more than what I am used to paying for my undergrad

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into the NHS social work bursary? Roughly £5-7k a year, the

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/defa...es-2017-18.pdf

You also can apply for a 10k loan for the roughly (over 2 years) 12k fee, the NHS also pay a chunk of rhe tuition fees.

When you are on placement the agency/org cover your travel fees.

There's also this allowance as well:

Extra Weeks Allowance

If your course runs for more than 30 weeks and 3 days in the 2016 to 2017 academic year you may be entitled to Extra Weeks Allowance:
    Where you study and liveAllowanceIn London£108 per weekOutside London£84 per additional weekWith your parents£56 per additional week

I would also contact the University and talk about your concerns regarding money and they might be able to advice you on grants ect to help out or point you towards other accommodation which is more affordable x http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/facilities/accommodation

As the course is full time for 2 years, you might find it easier to get a house/flat/house share in Lancaster which are about £200-350 including all bills, so you can settle in one place and have a 'home from home' for the next 2 years: https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshar..._id=627624664&

ReputationRep:
    £200-£350 Per month, not week!

ReputationRep:
    (I have posted a long reply and it is being moderated)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you,

I was under the impression that you could not have the postgrad loan and the NHS bursary, you either got the bursary or you got the loan as a last resort. We're also not guaranteed a bursary, you'll more than likely get one because of how early your interview was but less likely for me.

I have considered a house share I just haven't gotten around to looking properly yet. Would you be commuting or living in?

ReputationRep:
    I think although I could be wrong that you get both the loan and bursary. I think where you might be confused, is if you do get the bursary you can't get the travel allowance because it is part if your grant/bursary. But you can get the allowance only if you have no bursary. On Monday perhaps give the NHS bursary team a call, and they'd be able to tell you I'd you can get the postgraduate loan and bursary (I'm pretty sure you can, but again I'm not 100%).When i did my interview I was the only MA applicant student and there was only one other interview for MA previously, January ia still early, I believe they take 40 each year and last year 29 were nominated for funding xI'm travelling in.

ReputationRep:
    Telephone: 0300 330 1342

We are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 3pm.

The NHS bursery contact details, they are open tomorrow, I found them to be really helpful and I spent quite a while asking questions x have a nice weekend

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. If you look here (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4612354) it states that you cannot be receiving other funding unless you are an undergrad (this is also including in the info on the NHS bursary website)

At my interview there were 4/5 of us but I am obviously unsure on who if any were offered and accepted a place

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I gave them a phone at 8am today, on 0300 300 1342 and asked if you could get both the loan and bursary together and they said yes, they don't take into account the loan when taking into account how much you receive with the bursary package and they pay £4052 per year of your tuition fees directly to the university, so our fees are £12'660 over 2 years (year 1 £7'240 + £5420 = £12'600), that leaves £4556 for 2 years or £2278 per year which you can get the loan for.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I spoke to them before seeing your messsge and I was told to ring SFE as they don’t like us to have the PG loan and the NHS bursary. I have yet to ring them but I’ll keep you updated

ReputationRep:
    Name:  66B3FA2F-CD1D-456A-870B-5721078DE506.png
Views: 37
Size:  263.0 KBIt turns out that you are only allowed funding from the NHS if you’re studying at undergraduate level which is absurd! The system is so corrupt

ReputationRep:
    I've just phoned SFE and they said that if a person gets the NHS bursary they cannot get the loan...also found this on their websiteealth and social work bursariesYou can’t get a Postgraduate Master’s Loan if you:are eligible for an NHS bursaryget a Social Work Bursary - unless you only get a Placement Travel AllowanceThis also applies for health and social work bursaries in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.The NHS bursary website should make this clearer tbh, I've been going round in circles as I spoke to someone from he NHS bursary side of things and they said they don't take into account your pg loan when applying for the sw bursary, what they should have advised is you can't get he loan if you've been awarded the bursary.The idea of the bursary SFE is to cover all costs but there£4556 of tuition few to be covered...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsG1990)
    I've just phoned SFE and they said that if a person gets the NHS bursary they cannot get the loan...also found this on their websiteealth and social work bursariesYou can’t get a Postgraduate Master’s Loan if you:are eligible for an NHS bursaryget a Social Work Bursary - unless you only get a Placement Travel AllowanceThis also applies for health and social work bursaries in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.The NHS bursary website should make this clearer tbh, I've been going round in circles as I spoke to someone from he NHS bursary side of things and they said they don't take into account your pg loan when applying for the sw bursary, what they should have advised is you can't get he loan if you've been awarded the bursary.The idea of the bursary SFE is to cover all costs but there£4556 of tuition few to be covered...
    It just makes no sense. They're crying out for more SW but then they make it so difficult with denying us funding for it. It is highly unlikely that I will be attending. I have just looked at the bursary calculator (https://apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/SGUBursary/) and I definitely will not be able to afford to attend. I would just be able to afford the tuition fees and that's it My parents said they would give me money each month but it would not be enough

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear that, maybe speak to the post grad sw team and see if they could help? http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/postgraduate-fees-and-funding/

Here there are alternative awards, grants and bursaries that you could apply for.

I've heard that other unis (Durham?) Inly charge what the NHS will cover, so that might be a possibility?

I've applied for funding ect as when I phoned they said even if you aren't nominated you can still apply...

Maybe it's worth a go?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.