Depression Medication Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi all,

I've been struggling with what I believe to be depression now for nearly four years. I can't get diagnosed or receive treatment for it at the moment because my parents are against mental health illnesses so I have to wait to move out first. One of the worst symptoms for me is apathy/emotional numbness, as I can't feel emotions like I once did. Nothing excites me anymore, I don't feel happiness or sadness, instead everything is indifferent to me. This also affects any career goals I once had because I don't have the same motivation and ambition that I once did.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew if this can this be treated with antidepressants? I've heard mixed opinions about them and how they make you feel 'numb', only I already feel numb so I'm wondering if there is an antidepressant that can make me feel the opposite?

Sorry for rambling and thank you for reading.
bubbleygum
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Try sertraline xxx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bubbleygum)
Try sertraline xxx
Thank you x
Anonymous #1
Does anyone else have any suggestions please? I really want to feel emotions again. Thanks
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all,

I've been struggling with what I believe to be depression now for nearly four years. I can't get diagnosed or receive treatment for it at the moment because my parents are against mental health illnesses so I have to wait to move out first. One of the worst symptoms for me is apathy/emotional numbness, as I can't feel emotions like I once did. Nothing excites me anymore, I don't feel happiness or sadness, instead everything is indifferent to me. This also affects any career goals I once had because I don't have the same motivation and ambition that I once did.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew if this can this be treated with antidepressants? I've heard mixed opinions about them and how they make you feel 'numb', only I already feel numb so I'm wondering if there is an antidepressant that can make me feel the opposite?

Go see your GP. You don't have to tell your parents of you don't want to and if you're 16 or over they can't tell your parents anything without your permission. Even under 16 they are unlikely to because they have to be very concerned for you and you can always say you don't want them knowing. That's your only option for medication because it needs to be prescribed. Anything you get off prescription would be illegal and taking it without consulting your doctor could put you at risk.

If you don't want to talk to your doctor yet you can also talk to your school about counseling. Again, they are unlikely to tell you parents, especially if you say you don't want them knowing and anything you say in sessions is confidential unless they are very worried (which takes a lot).

Other option is contacting a service like childline or Samaritans. It's confidential, free and you can do it by phone or online. And I belive phone calls to them won't even appear on phone bills. Might be worth giving childline a go cos I'm sure they'll be used to dealing with situations like this and be able to support you. They also have some handy advice on their site (along with info on their confidentiality etc).

I hope that helps. Best wishes.
keithhb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If youre aiming to get medication, you would first have to get diagnosed. Most antidepressants are sold over the counter and I believe you might need a prescription for them
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Different antidepressants work differently from one person to the next. Just because an individual has found that a particular type of antidepressants has numbed their feelings, it doesn't necessarily mean the same will happen to you. The only way you can know for sure is by trying them for yourself and you don't need your parents permission for that.
cat_mac
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Heathco)
Listen. There is something in your life that is causing your depression. Antidepressant medication will cure the depression but not solve the underlying issue that is causing it. Maybe your body is lacking a certain mineral or vitamin. Maybe you don't get enough sunlight. Maybe you need to meditate to get clarity of mind. Maybe your sleep patterns are disordered or too short. Maybe you have an insecurity that you need to confront. Maybe you need to get something off your chest that has been troubling you. Maybe you are the bottom of the hierarchy in your friend group. Maybe it is your relationship with your parents. There are so many factors at play with depression that I believe that antidepressants while making you feel better, have a good chance worsen your quality of life in the long term. Everyone that I see that takes anti-depressants are tired all the time and always taking afternoon naps. Sure, if you are wanting to off yourself take them. But there is a way of living that will cure your depression so effectively that you will cry of laughter every day.

(PS. If you want to cure your depression bad enough, Cold showers in the morning are a quick cure that will work in 2 weeks if you combine it with good diet and exercise. But everyone else i have advised them to have denied them. They do take a lot of willpower since you need to go on the lowest temperature possible.)
Antidepressants treat the symptoms of depression, they are a tool to help manage it. They don’t ‘cure’ depression, but they can make it much easier to live with.

What you suggested can help mild depression, but it doesn’t cure severe depression, clinical depression, depression caused by physical problems in your brain. It won’t help someone who’s depression stems from trauma, and it won’t help someone who is so suicidal that they don’t have the will to get out of bed, let alone go for a jog. Depression isn’t just low mood and it can’t always be treated by a change in lifestyle. (and yes, I have tried everything under the sun to “cure” myself. Including all of your suggestions. I still have a mental illness despite daily yoga, healthy good, good sleeping schedule.)

In the future please try not to belittle serious mental illness by suggesting it’s something you can cure in two weeks by having cold showers. If you want to give advice about mental illness I suggest you actually do some research and learn about it, the neurology and the psychiatric evidence that it isn’t as quickly fixed as you imply.

OP, go see a doctor and they can provide you with appropriate treatment. Whether it’s antidepressants, therapy or anything else, I hope it helps you.
Heathco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by cat_mac)
Antidepressants treat the symptoms of depression, they are a tool to help manage it. They don’t ‘cure’ depression, but they can make it much easier to live with.

What you suggested can help mild depression, but it doesn’t cure severe depression, clinical depression, depression caused by physical problems in your brain. It won’t help someone who’s depression stems from trauma, and it won’t help someone who is so suicidal that they don’t have the will to get out of bed, let alone go for a jog. Depression isn’t just low mood and it can’t always be treated by a change in lifestyle. (and yes, I have tried everything under the sun to “cure” myself. Including all of your suggestions. I still have a mental illness despite daily yoga, healthy good, good sleeping schedule.)

In the future please try not to belittle serious mental illness by suggesting it’s something you can cure in two weeks by having cold showers. If you want to give advice about mental illness I suggest you actually do some research and learn about it, the neurology and the psychiatric evidence that it isn’t as quickly fixed as you imply.

OP, go see a doctor and they can provide you with appropriate treatment. Whether it’s antidepressants, therapy or anything else, I hope it helps you.
Sorry for belittling depression. I admit that I did that. I had a poor choice of words.

Though I did imply that if the depression was severe you should take anti-depressants.

My depression was not trauma-based but originated from relationships, bullying, failure and a lifelong health issue that I have since cured with some of the things I mentioned. So perhaps my advice was arrogant since I assumed that trauma wasn't the cause after reading the original comment and my depression wasn't as severe as what it sounds like you have.

But I do believe that anti-depressants are over prescribed when the depression could be managed/cured completely with a lifestyle change. I only advise cold showers to people with depression because (you have to believe me, this is so true it's insane) they are incredibly potent in reducing negative emotion. And I mean monstrously more potent than antidepressants and only with positive side effects (It physically changes your brain and your body. If you do it really good and with the Wim Hoff method you can even change the shape of your face and control your immune system. But you must do it right and be consistent which is hard when you're depressed). I only say 2 weeks because that is roughly the time it took me and others I have spoken to online to get over depression after starting. But that was in conjunction with other things like healthy eating, meditation and going on long walks in nature. I am convinced that the day i discovered cold showers was the most important day of my life. There is only one other thing that is more potent that I have found but it is too personal to go into here. Plus it is so difficult to do that I don't know anyone that succeed within a year because they kept failing every time they tried.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Kindred)
Go see your GP. You don't have to tell your parents of you don't want to and if you're 16 or over they can't tell your parents anything without your permission. Even under 16 they are unlikely to because they have to be very concerned for you and you can always say you don't want them knowing. That's your only option for medication because it needs to be prescribed. Anything you get off prescription would be illegal and taking it without consulting your doctor could put you at risk.

If you don't want to talk to your doctor yet you can also talk to your school about counseling. Again, they are unlikely to tell you parents, especially if you say you don't want them knowing and anything you say in sessions is confidential unless they are very worried (which takes a lot).

Other option is contacting a service like childline or Samaritans. It's confidential, free and you can do it by phone or online. And I belive phone calls to them won't even appear on phone bills. Might be worth giving childline a go cos I'm sure they'll be used to dealing with situations like this and be able to support you. They also have some handy advice on their site (along with info on their confidentiality etc).

I hope that helps. Best wishes.
Thank you for your suggestions, I'll look into them
Anonymous #1
(Original post by keithhb)
If youre aiming to get medication, you would first have to get diagnosed. Most antidepressants are sold over the counter and I believe you might need a prescription for them
Yeah I'd first get diagnosed and I wouldn't take medication that wasn't prescribed. I was wondering more if it is worth the effort of attempting to hide my GP appointments and the medication afterwards, if the antidepressants couldn't cure me as I wanted them to
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Different antidepressants work differently from one person to the next. Just because an individual has found that a particular type of antidepressants has numbed their feelings, it doesn't necessarily mean the same will happen to you. The only way you can know for sure is by trying them for yourself and you don't need your parents permission for that.
Thank you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Heathco)
Sorry for belittling depression. I admit that I did that. I had a poor choice of words.

Though I did imply that if the depression was severe you should take anti-depressants.

My depression was not trauma-based but originated from relationships, bullying, failure and a lifelong health issue that I have since cured with some of the things I mentioned. So perhaps my advice was arrogant since I assumed that trauma wasn't the cause after reading the original comment and my depression wasn't as severe as what it sounds like you have.

But I do believe that anti-depressants are over prescribed when the depression could be managed/cured completely with a lifestyle change. I only advise cold showers to people with depression because (you have to believe me, this is so true it's insane) they are incredibly potent in reducing negative emotion. And I mean monstrously more potent than antidepressants and only with positive side effects (It physically changes your brain and your body. If you do it really good and with the Wim Hoff method you can even change the shape of your face and control your immune system. But you must do it right and be consistent which is hard when you're depressed). I only say 2 weeks because that is roughly the time it took me and others I have spoken to online to get over depression after starting. But that was in conjunction with other things like healthy eating, meditation and going on long walks in nature. I am convinced that the day i discovered cold showers was the most important day of my life. There is only one other thing that is more potent that I have found but it is too personal to go into here. Plus it is so difficult to do that I don't know anyone that succeed within a year because they kept failing every time they tried.
HeathCo, I understand that antidepressants cure the symptoms, not the problem. I'm not suggesting that they do, I'm looking to cure my worst symptom (apathy/emotional numbness) and as I said in my original post, my parents disagree with me receiving help for my mental illness so I don't want to go through the trouble of hiding medications and GP appointments from them if antidepressants won't help me with this anyway. As a side note, it may be best to avoid saying 'if you are wanting to off yourself take them', for future reference, you don't know the state of someone's mental state and this could be triggering to someone who is in a vulnerable state of mind. My depression has lasted for four years now, unfortunately a cold shower will not fix the low levels of serotonin in my brain. Thank you for your apology. I'm not sure there is a cause to my depression, I know that there is a genetic history in my family although other than that I've had a relatively 'normal' life so I don't think it can be reduced to bullying, relationships, etc. for me personally. Also, I'm sorry to hear that you have also experienced depression, and hope that you've overcome it and are managing it better now
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cat_mac)

Thank you for your suggestions, and helping to spread awareness of severe depression. I'm hoping to see a doctor at some point
cat_mac
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you for your suggestions, and helping to spread awareness of severe depression. I'm hoping to see a doctor at some point
Aw good! I hope it goes well for you. :hugs:
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yeah I'd first get diagnosed and I wouldn't take medication that wasn't prescribed. I was wondering more if it is worth the effort of attempting to hide my GP appointments and the medication afterwards, if the antidepressants couldn't cure me as I wanted them to
As far as hiding things go that's up to you. I tend to be of the view that fully hiding things is more effort than it's worth, but it depends on the situation and the people involved. I tend to prefer the giving a little info, but sticking to what's comfortable to share. I think it helps to not have to actively hide things, but still have that privacy there.

And a little caution- ADs aren't going to be some magic cure btw. I'm not saying that to catch you out or anything, it's just people have different expectations and ideas of what "working" means. They can be very helpful, but it tends to take a long time and be quite subtle. Also your doctor may want to try other methods before ADs. I just don't want you out anybody else expecting big things and then feeling let down and it's hard to tell what somebody expects so I just wanted to mention it. If nothing else so if things aren't immediately obvious (which a lot of medications are so it's something you could expect) you/ others don't loose hope.

Hope that makes sense.
Heathco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
HeathCo, I understand that antidepressants cure the symptoms, not the problem. I'm not suggesting that they do, I'm looking to cure my worst symptom (apathy/emotional numbness) and as I said in my original post, my parents disagree with me receiving help for my mental illness so I don't want to go through the trouble of hiding medications and GP appointments from them if antidepressants won't help me with this anyway. As a side note, it may be best to avoid saying 'if you are wanting to off yourself take them', for future reference, you don't know the state of someone's mental state and this could be triggering to someone who is in a vulnerable state of mind. My depression has lasted for four years now, unfortunately a cold shower will not fix the low levels of serotonin in my brain. Thank you for your apology. I'm not sure there is a cause to my depression, I know that there is a genetic history in my family although other than that I've had a relatively 'normal' life so I don't think it can be reduced to bullying, relationships, etc. for me personally. Also, I'm sorry to hear that you have also experienced depression, and hope that you've overcome it and are managing it better now
Thanks for the responding and the advice. Hope you find a way to recover, and if you're curious about my depression it has been totally erased.
stephlmx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi all,

I'm really to hear you have been going through this. I have tried two antidepressants, and I am currently still on my second one right now. My first one, sertraline, noticeably made me feel worse in the first two months. I had many panic attacks, feelings of numbness, suicidal thoughts, decreased appetite, insomnia etc. After being on that antidepressant for 3 months, even though the side effects had greatly greatly reduced, i didn't feel like i was really getting any benefits from it. So i switched to taking fluoxetine instead, and i have been taking that now for 3 months. With fluoxetine, i have not experienced any of the side effects i experienced with sertraline. It is hard to say when i feel like this has started to help me, but i do feel like i find it easier to laugh now than i did months ago, i have goals and aspirations for the future and i can feel like doing things and can somewhat enjoy doing them. I feel like things are slowly getting better. I still have days where i feel bad about myself, sure. But i feel that now that can be down to my mindset and ways of thinking than an imbalance of chemicals. Initially when starting antidepressants, i did hesitate as to whether i should have as the side effects were quite distressing. However, i persevered with finding one that worked for me, and i'm glad i did. I'm not telling you this story to put you off at all. It is really common when starting an antidepressant to feel worse - whether that be in mood, or physically. It is really important to be aware of this factor, and to be able to persevere through that. For this reason, i feel like antidepressants shouldn't be a decision taken lightly. However, it does sound like you would benefit greatly from them. I completely understand the numb feeling you describe, and i am happy to say that i don't get that feeling very often anymore. There are so many antidepressants that you WILL find one that can work for you. The important, and hard part, is to persevere and wait to see if they work. In short, i definitely recommend antidepressants. But only take them if you are sure you can be determined to continue to find one that works for you. I also recommend having a support system who are aware that you are taking them. My mum got me through my really bad days of side effects.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by stephlmx)
I'm really to hear you have been going through this. I have tried two antidepressants, and I am currently still on my second one right now. My first one, sertraline, noticeably made me feel worse in the first two months. I had many panic attacks, feelings of numbness, suicidal thoughts, decreased appetite, insomnia etc. After being on that antidepressant for 3 months, even though the side effects had greatly greatly reduced, i didn't feel like i was really getting any benefits from it. So i switched to taking fluoxetine instead, and i have been taking that now for 3 months. With fluoxetine, i have not experienced any of the side effects i experienced with sertraline. It is hard to say when i feel like this has started to help me, but i do feel like i find it easier to laugh now than i did months ago, i have goals and aspirations for the future and i can feel like doing things and can somewhat enjoy doing them. I feel like things are slowly getting better. I still have days where i feel bad about myself, sure. But i feel that now that can be down to my mindset and ways of thinking than an imbalance of chemicals. Initially when starting antidepressants, i did hesitate as to whether i should have as the side effects were quite distressing. However, i persevered with finding one that worked for me, and i'm glad i did. I'm not telling you this story to put you off at all. It is really common when starting an antidepressant to feel worse - whether that be in mood, or physically. It is really important to be aware of this factor, and to be able to persevere through that. For this reason, i feel like antidepressants shouldn't be a decision taken lightly. However, it does sound like you would benefit greatly from them. I completely understand the numb feeling you describe, and i am happy to say that i don't get that feeling very often anymore. There are so many antidepressants that you WILL find one that can work for you. The important, and hard part, is to persevere and wait to see if they work. In short, i definitely recommend antidepressants. But only take them if you are sure you can be determined to continue to find one that works for you. I also recommend having a support system who are aware that you are taking them. My mum got me through my really bad days of side effects.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm glad to hear that you've found one that is working for you. I think I can persevere through a few weeks of side effects and feeling worse with the idea of knowing that it will eventually get better. I desperately want to get rid of the emotional numbness, so I'll look into it. Thank you, and take care
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
I agree that you need a support system because there is a danger involved: some people become suicidal after starting their treatment with antidepressants. You need someone who is close enough to look after you and support you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (162)
26.91%
No (440)
73.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise