Turn on thread page Beta

AQA A2 Maths (Old Spec) - Further Pure 4 MFP4 - 23 May 2018 [Exam Discussion] watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the 2018 AQA FP4 exam?
    Amazing! :woo:
    18.18%
    Good
    40.91%
    Okay :bebored:
    22.73%
    Bad :cry2:
    9.09%
    HORRIBLE PAPER!!
    9.09%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

AQA A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Further Pure 4
    Date: Wednesday 23rd May 2018
    Time: Morning
    Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
    Days to go?: 5

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find the more recent papers here and the older ones here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence!

Other AQA Exam Threads:
    AQA AS Decision 1 (MD01) - 22nd June
    AQA A2 Decision 2 (MD02) - 26th June
    AQA AS Further Pure 1 (MFP1) - 13th June
    AQA A2 Further Pure 2 (MFP2) - 22rd June
    AQA A2 Further Pure 3 (MFP3) - 16th May
    AQA AS Mechanics 1 (MM1B) - 19th June
    AQA A2 Mechanics 2 (MM2B) - 25th June
    AQA A2 Mechanics 3 (MM03) - 6th June
    AQA AS Statistics 1 (MS1B) - 6th June
    AQA A2 Statistics 2 (MS2B) - 19th June
    AQA A2 Statistics 3 (MS03) - 25th June
    AQA A2 Statistics 4 (MS04) - 26th June
    AQA AS Core 1 (MPC1) - 16th May
    AQA AS Core 2 (MPC2) - 23rd May
    AQA A2 Core 3 (MPC3) - 13th June
    AQA A2 Core 4 (MPC4) - 15th June
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Tfw I'll be about the only person on the whole site on here. :emo:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Last year I provided the unofficial mark scheme for this module's exam, and I can do so this year if anyone is able to provide me with the paper right after the exam

Also, I can do them for all AQA ones except Decision since I forgot all about that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Last year I provided the unofficial mark scheme for this module's exam, and I can do so this year if anyone is able to provide me with the paper right after the exam

Also, I can do them for all AQA ones except Decision since I forgot all about that.
    Very late response as I only just saw this!

However much I'd love an unofficial mark scheme, I have no hope of being able to provide you with the paper afterwards

So since I currently look to be about the only person on this whole website sitting this exam, looks like I'm going to have to go without an unofficial mark scheme for once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    Very late response as I only just saw this!

However much I'd love an unofficial mark scheme, I have no hope of being able to provide you with the paper afterwards

So since I currently look to be about the only person on this whole website sitting this exam, looks like I'm going to have to go without an unofficial mark scheme for once.
    I'll be sitting it too... that makes two of us xD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymouspsych)
    I'll be sitting it too... that makes two of us xD
    Oh my gosh yay an FP4 friend! How’s it going? Especially with the more recent papers?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh yay an FP4 friend! How’s it going? Especially with the more recent papers?
    It's going quite well, I've made a spreadsheet to keep track on what ums I got on each paper. So far I'm averaging 98 ums.
    We had a mock on the 2017 paper and I got 94 ums because I ran out of time on the last 5 marker xD.

Are you doing fp3 too? I'm hoping fp3 and fp4 go well for me so that I can be more relaxed with the later further exams next month.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymouspsych)
    It's going quite well, I've made a spreadsheet to keep track on what ums I got on each paper. So far I'm averaging 98 ums.
    We had a mock on the 2017 paper and I got 94 ums because I ran out of time on the last 5 marker xD.

Are you doing fp3 too? I'm hoping fp3 and fp4 go well for me so that I can be more relaxed with the later further exams next month.
    Argh you’re doing so amazing! It’s going terribly for me, I’m going off just raw marks and I’m averaging about 60 marks but the more recent papers (2016/17) are the ones bringing my average down!

I’m only going for an A in further maths but I’m scared of FP4 and M2 dragging me down to a B

I’m also not doing FP3, i’m getting away with only doing FP1 and 4 from the further pure modules (but I did/do have to do all of S2 D2 and M2)

ReputationRep:
    Argh you’re doing so amazing! It’s going terribly for me, I’m going off just raw marks and I’m averaging about 60 marks but the more recent papers (2016/17) are the ones bringing my average down!

I’m only going for an A in further maths but I’m scared of FP4 and M2 dragging me down to a B

I’m also not doing FP3, i’m getting away with only doing FP1 and 4 from the further pure modules (but I did/do have to do all of S2 D2 and M2)
    I'm sitting it too!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by emilyjupp)
    I'm sitting it too!
    Ah good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry guys, there are 7 other people (including me) that are also sitting it! We've got this

ReputationRep:
    Teachers can get the papers 24 hours after the exam, so ask them.

I don't do FP4 though lul but I wish I did (

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys! I'm resitting FP4

ReputationRep:
    ah.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well.. now I’m just waiting for an unofficial mark scheme to prove to myself I’ve failed

ReputationRep:
    Too many questions, too little time. Just like FP3.
    How did everyone manage to find the point of intersection of those planes in terms of k? Must have lost myself about 12 marks on that question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etothexdx)
    Too many questions, too little time. Just like FP3.
    How did everyone manage to find the point of intersection of those planes in terms of k?
    Agreed, I had to keep missing out the ends of questions because there was too much. I tried using the inverse matrix method but got horrible matrices so didn't finish it as I knew it would take ages to get the final answer from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryGCSE)
    Agreed, I had to keep missing out the ends of questions because there was too much. I tried using the inverse matrix method but got horrible matrices so didn't finish it as I knew it would take ages to get the final answer from there
    That was my initial thought, but I found the determinant to be a quadratic in k, and x, y and z would have to be divided by that, which seemed ugly, so I gave up. Spent the rest of the exam trying to find a valid method, and failed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etothexdx)
    That was my initial thought, but I found the determinant to be a quadratic in k, and x, y and z would have to be divided by that, which seemed ugly, so I gave up. Spent the rest of the exam trying to find a valid method, and failed.
    I feel like the questions towards the end were easier. Really annoying paper tbh. What grade do you think you got

ReputationRep:
    slightly harder than last year I think

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.