AQA A2 Maths (Old Spec) - Further Pure 4 MFP4 - 23 May 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Watch
Poll: How did you find the 2018 AQA FP4 exam?
Amazing! :woo: (4)
18.18%
Good :H (9)
40.91%
Okay :bebored: (5)
22.73%
Bad :cry2: (2)
9.09%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@ (2)
9.09%
Protostar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

AQA A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Further Pure 4
Date: Wednesday 23rd May 2018
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 5

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find the more recent papers here and the older ones here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence! Image

Other AQA Exam Threads:
AQA AS Decision 1 (MD01) - 22nd June
AQA A2 Decision 2 (MD02) - 26th June
AQA AS Further Pure 1 (MFP1) - 13th June
AQA A2 Further Pure 2 (MFP2) - 22rd June
AQA A2 Further Pure 3 (MFP3) - 16th May
AQA AS Mechanics 1 (MM1B) - 19th June
AQA A2 Mechanics 2 (MM2B) - 25th June
AQA A2 Mechanics 3 (MM03) - 6th June
AQA AS Statistics 1 (MS1B) - 6th June
AQA A2 Statistics 2 (MS2B) - 19th June
AQA A2 Statistics 3 (MS03) - 25th June
AQA A2 Statistics 4 (MS04) - 26th June
AQA AS Core 1 (MPC1) - 16th May
AQA AS Core 2 (MPC2) - 23rd May
AQA A2 Core 3 (MPC3) - 13th June
AQA A2 Core 4 (MPC4) - 15th June
EmilySarah00
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tfw I'll be about the only person on the whole site on here. :emo:
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Last year I provided the unofficial mark scheme for this module's exam, and I can do so this year if anyone is able to provide me with the paper right after the exam

Also, I can do them for all AQA ones except Decision since I forgot all about that.
EmilySarah00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
Last year I provided the unofficial mark scheme for this module's exam, and I can do so this year if anyone is able to provide me with the paper right after the exam

Also, I can do them for all AQA ones except Decision since I forgot all about that.
Very late response as I only just saw this!

However much I'd love an unofficial mark scheme, I have no hope of being able to provide you with the paper afterwards

So since I currently look to be about the only person on this whole website sitting this exam, looks like I'm going to have to go without an unofficial mark scheme for once.
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EmilySarah00)
Very late response as I only just saw this!

However much I'd love an unofficial mark scheme, I have no hope of being able to provide you with the paper afterwards

So since I currently look to be about the only person on this whole website sitting this exam, looks like I'm going to have to go without an unofficial mark scheme for once.
I'll be sitting it too... that makes two of us xD
EmilySarah00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymouspsych)
I'll be sitting it too... that makes two of us xD
Oh my gosh yay an FP4 friend! How’s it going? Especially with the more recent papers?
Anonymouspsych
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh my gosh yay an FP4 friend! How’s it going? Especially with the more recent papers?
It's going quite well, I've made a spreadsheet to keep track on what ums I got on each paper. So far I'm averaging 98 ums.
We had a mock on the 2017 paper and I got 94 ums because I ran out of time on the last 5 marker xD.

Are you doing fp3 too? I'm hoping fp3 and fp4 go well for me so that I can be more relaxed with the later further exams next month.
EmilySarah00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymouspsych)
It's going quite well, I've made a spreadsheet to keep track on what ums I got on each paper. So far I'm averaging 98 ums.
We had a mock on the 2017 paper and I got 94 ums because I ran out of time on the last 5 marker xD.

Are you doing fp3 too? I'm hoping fp3 and fp4 go well for me so that I can be more relaxed with the later further exams next month.
Argh you’re doing so amazing! It’s going terribly for me, I’m going off just raw marks and I’m averaging about 60 marks but the more recent papers (2016/17) are the ones bringing my average down!

I’m only going for an A in further maths but I’m scared of FP4 and M2 dragging me down to a B

I’m also not doing FP3, i’m getting away with only doing FP1 and 4 from the further pure modules (but I did/do have to do all of S2 D2 and M2)
emilyjupp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Argh you’re doing so amazing! It’s going terribly for me, I’m going off just raw marks and I’m averaging about 60 marks but the more recent papers (2016/17) are the ones bringing my average down!

I’m only going for an A in further maths but I’m scared of FP4 and M2 dragging me down to a B

I’m also not doing FP3, i’m getting away with only doing FP1 and 4 from the further pure modules (but I did/do have to do all of S2 D2 and M2)
I'm sitting it too!
EmilySarah00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emilyjupp)
I'm sitting it too!
Ah good luck!
Principia29
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't worry guys, there are 7 other people (including me) that are also sitting it! We've got this
Mikasadoge
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Teachers can get the papers 24 hours after the exam, so ask them.

I don't do FP4 though lul but I wish I did (
HarryGCSE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good luck guys! I'm resitting FP4
Bespy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ah.
EmilySarah00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well.. now I’m just waiting for an unofficial mark scheme to prove to myself I’ve failed
etothexdx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Too many questions, too little time. Just like FP3.
How did everyone manage to find the point of intersection of those planes in terms of k? Must have lost myself about 12 marks on that question.
HarryGCSE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by etothexdx)
Too many questions, too little time. Just like FP3.
How did everyone manage to find the point of intersection of those planes in terms of k?
Agreed, I had to keep missing out the ends of questions because there was too much. I tried using the inverse matrix method but got horrible matrices so didn't finish it as I knew it would take ages to get the final answer from there
etothexdx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HarryGCSE)
Agreed, I had to keep missing out the ends of questions because there was too much. I tried using the inverse matrix method but got horrible matrices so didn't finish it as I knew it would take ages to get the final answer from there
That was my initial thought, but I found the determinant to be a quadratic in k, and x, y and z would have to be divided by that, which seemed ugly, so I gave up. Spent the rest of the exam trying to find a valid method, and failed.
HarryGCSE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by etothexdx)
That was my initial thought, but I found the determinant to be a quadratic in k, and x, y and z would have to be divided by that, which seemed ugly, so I gave up. Spent the rest of the exam trying to find a valid method, and failed.
I feel like the questions towards the end were easier. Really annoying paper tbh. What grade do you think you got
leedsnd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
slightly harder than last year I think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (251)
47%
Take exams next summer (72)
13.48%
Change uni choice through clearing (115)
21.54%
Apply to uni next year instead (55)
10.3%
I'm not applying to university (41)
7.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed