Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I realise that there are probably 1000s of similar posts to this one but I just really don't know what to do at this point

So I'm currently in my 1st of Biomedical Science and there are some parts that I've found interesting and I've been happy to do, such as Biochemistry and Immunology, however, for a lot of it, I've just been a little disengaged and bored. Especially in lectures, where for the 1st hour I try and pay attention but for the next I just can't and spend most of it just staring into space. I've lost the will to just go to them at this point which i know is really bad but I definitely catch up on it after in my own time. I find that I go into it in more detail and clarity than the lecturers as some of them just arent good and they just talk and talk without engaging

Anyways, I've done really quite well so far, gotten a 1st in every assignment and test and in all 3 modules done so far. But I don't even feel too accomplished as it wasn't that difficult

In school I've always been quite good at Biology/Chemistry but not great at Physics; however, I love Physics and find it absolutely fascinating, I did it at A level and just loved it. I liked the challenge even though it could get too much. When I got my a levels i was more than disappointed as I didn't even get into my firm and my lowest grade was physics.

Im going on a little, but I just wanted some advice as ive hit a stump here. Basically, I can't seem to get passionate about my degree, even though Im doing well. I've been slightly thinking about a transfer to do physics however, my a levels are definitely not good enough to do that and even so I'd have to stay at this uni for another year, which I dont want to do, I want to get on to do a Masters as soon as possible. I feel like im being stupid and i just want to do it because of my indecisive self/personality.

I dont know, I guess I just need some advice if any, even if its just calling me stupid lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Cherub123)
    Hey,

I realise that there are probably 1000s of similar posts to this one but I just really don't know what to do at this point

So I'm currently in my 1st of Biomedical Science and there are some parts that I've found interesting and I've been happy to do, such as Biochemistry and Immunology, however, for a lot of it, I've just been a little disengaged and bored. Especially in lectures, where for the 1st hour I try and pay attention but for the next I just can't and spend most of it just staring into space. I've lost the will to just go to them at this point which i know is really bad but I definitely catch up on it after in my own time. I find that I go into it in more detail and clarity than the lecturers as some of them just arent good and they just talk and talk without engaging

Anyways, I've done really quite well so far, gotten a 1st in every assignment and test and in all 3 modules done so far. But I don't even feel too accomplished as it wasn't that difficult

In school I've always been quite good at Biology/Chemistry but not great at Physics; however, I love Physics and find it absolutely fascinating, I did it at A level and just loved it. I liked the challenge even though it could get too much. When I got my a levels i was more than disappointed as I didn't even get into my firm and my lowest grade was physics.

Im going on a little, but I just wanted some advice as ive hit a stump here. Basically, I can't seem to get passionate about my degree, even though Im doing well. I've been slightly thinking about a transfer to do physics however, my a levels are definitely not good enough to do that and even so I'd have to stay at this uni for another year, which I dont want to do, I want to get on to do a Masters as soon as possible. I feel like im being stupid and i just want to do it because of my indecisive self/personality.

I dont know, I guess I just need some advice if any, even if its just calling me stupid lol
    Have you talked this through with your personal tutor/other academic staff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Have you talked this through with your personal tutor/other academic staff?
    I'm pretty certain I never got given a tutor, but I haven't spoken to any other lecturers no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub123)
    Hey,

If I were you, I'd try figure out what made you like it in the first place. If you truly cant get back into it, then in that case you should swap to physics. It doesnt matter if you're a year behind or anything. If you're worried you'll be a year behind everyone, just think say Americans have to be at college for an extra 2 years in comparison. So you're still ahead of them in theory. And that way you're doing something you love. If you carry on with something you dont like, you'll get stuck in a job you probably dont like either and then struggle making the leap to go back and start over from scratch

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to work out if the bits you like are worth going through the boring stuff. No degree is amazing and enthralling all the time, they all come with sh*t modules. However as someone who genuinely hates their course and has come too far to change now, I would say change whilst you still can if you want to.

You're nearly at the end of first year so you've tried a variety of modules, it's not as though you've only been there for a week and decided you didn't like it. When you get into second year you'll find yourself with greater debts and it's harder to change. There's also a lot more pressure to stay because you're halfway through your degree.

ReputationRep:
    It's not uncommon for undergrads to switch degrees, after the first year, to something they've discovered, once in a university setting, would be more suitable. So much so, that SFE is set up to fund all the years of a degree + 1 year (used to called a gift year, I believe they now call it a false start). Your university ought to have a dedicated careers advice center and something like a student advice and well-being center where you can get counselling. Also try speaking with your personal tutor about your doubts and concerns.

Have you looked into Masters of Pharmacy? Apart from the obvious biology component, It's also very heavily chemistry based, with some physics, and leads to a huge spectrum of career possibilities apart from the obvious retail route, (selling hemorrhoid cream to grannies in Boots).
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    In addition to the other great suggestion in this thread--I'd also make sure that you take a look at what your Uni's physics course is like. Take a look at the modules, and even consider dropping in to a physics module in first year (obviously contact a lecturer of the department first) to see what it's like at the University level (because like said in this thread, there are also probably going to be bits of the physics modules that you will detest). Additionally, take a look into the next few modules in store for you in your current degree. Is there anything there that interests you?

If you have any questions about what a degree in physics is like, let me know--I'm in the fourth year of an MPhys in physics with astrophysics and atmospheric physics research experience.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.