Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 11 and for year 12 I've chosen to take English Lang, Biology and Chemistry. Everybody is saying that chemistry is really hard and even if you get As at GCSE you get Ds at A-Level. Is this true? And along with my other 2 subjects, how would it all 'pan' out? I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get at least a 7 in GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I was really hesitant about taking a level chemistry but so far I love it, find it super interesting and am working at A* level (I’m in year 12 currently) I personally have to put more work into Biology A level and i find chemistry not too hard, as if you know how the mark schemes work and you know the key points and processes for each chapter then you are going to do well because exams are very repetitive! i also got A* at igcse and so did all of my friends in my chem class, and most of us are working at A/A* level so i’d say is definitely not true if you put the effort in!
    hope this helps !! good luck with gcses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS02x)
    I'm currently in year 11 and for year 12 I've chosen to take English Lang, Biology and Chemistry. Everybody is saying that chemistry is really hard and even if you get As at GCSE you get Ds at A-Level. Is this true? And along with my other 2 subjects, how would it all 'pan' out? I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get at least a 7 in GCSE.
    Its really hard at the start to wrap your head around all the concepts, but once you do and get all the basics into your head it actually becomes a lot less difficult as you go along. However, if you don't work at it you will find it impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I was like you; I thought chem would be too hard to maintain good grades at A Level but trust me, choosing it was the best decision of my life! It's my favourite subject out of my A levels. Tbh it's biology that's the killer with the amount of content you need to go through (right now that takes up most of my time and effort). One thing I will say about Chemistry A Level is that you will need to work hard and always revisit work but then again that's the same with almost any A Level

ReputationRep:
    I personally find a level biology much easier than a level chemistry but got an A* at GCSE in both. I would say it depends on how your brain works as I find my brain is more suited to biology than chemistry and my brain doesn't do great with physics (not awful, but not as easy for me as biology or chemistry).

ReputationRep:
    Its a great a level! The AS year was impossible for me and came out with a D in my trial exam, but this year it has become a lot easier - the concepts become easier and they are repeated and there's just a lot of basic stage to learn. Make sure u are good at A level maths tho - it comes in handy w a few bits and pieces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS02x)
    What they're saying about grades dropping is kind of true, but don't panic. It's normal for people's grades to drop in Year 12 (mainly in the first term) as pupils are adjusting to A-Levels, which is a hell of a jump from GCSE. It's the same for every subject and it doesn't necessarily mean the content's difficult...your grades will likely be D's/E's until you're used to the content at A-Level. I don't do it but from what I've heard, it is really difficult (but all A-Levels are difficult so don't worry). As long as you put the work in, you should be fine!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS02x)
    Most A levels are much harder than gcse anyway, not just chem. If you like chemistry, you can do it. The concepts can be difficult to understand at first(like organic chemistry)- like many ppl have said, but hard work will defo pay off

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.