Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I only wear mascara and eyebrow pencil. I used to wear foundation but decided that I wanted to take better care of my skin through skincare and foundation ruins your skin; it's easier to maintain good skin after using foundation than it is to fix bad skin made worse by it.

I wear mascara because I have naturally long lashes so want to emphasise that. I have naturally full eyebrows but have a few "sparse" areas that I fill in with brow pencil. I think I look goofy wearing lipstick and I can't apply eyeliner to save my life.

ReputationRep:
    Just concealer when I'm at sixthform, maybe mascara and light foundation etc when I can be bothered (very rarely). For work I wear concealer, foundation, mascara, eyeliner and a lil tiny contour. But when I go out (as in out out) I wearing everything, contour etc, the lot )
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely LOVE makeup. However, I love sleep more. So most days for work I'll spend 5 mins on makeup, brush my eyebrows, put on some mascara and powder. If I'm seeing friends or my boyfriend then I'll spend time doing my makeup nicely though. I find it really therapeutic and relaxing when I have loads of time to apply it.

ReputationRep:
    My makeup journey:

When I was aged 11-15/16, I had a lot of problems with spots, and during this miserable phase of my life, I got bullied a lot over my skin. But although my skin became very clear shortly after I turned 16 (and I left the school which had caused me so much misery), by that point the bullying over my skin had already created a severe amount of personal insecurities over my skin (which took many years to overcome).

So from about age 16 onward, I became very dependent on wearing foundation & concealer to help myself feel more confident about my skin (and in turn, more confident in and happier as a person). The trouble was though, that even when my skin was perfectly clear, I still felt like I really couldn't go outside without foundation on (even a humble trip down to the shops/gym/front garden etc would mean having to put foundation and other types of makeup on!). And when over the years when I did occasionally have bouts of spots (triggered by stress etc), the applied foundation would go from being very lightly applied to very heavily applied. Which in turn (in a bid to balance out the heavily applied foundation look) caused me to also apply a lot of other types of makeup (eyeliner, eyebrow pencil etc), so that ultimately, whether I was going through a good skin-phase in life or not, I always had to have makeup on.

I do like makeup; rightly applied, it can certainly make anyone look better (and so many styles can be enhanced by it etc). But instead of the makeup improving my self-confidence, the more I wore it, the more enslaved I became to it to feel good about myself. I really hated the hassle & time spent in the mornings having to put it on, but I was so scared about people seeing my real skin (and rejecting me or treating me as a lesser person because of it etc), I just didn't see going outside without makeup on as a realistic option.

But eventually, I got sick of this status quo. I came to realize that as a fully grown adult, it was stupid to still be suffering because of this childhood legacy of bullying so many years on from it. I was tired of my self-confidence being so intrinsically tied to makeup- I wanted to be free!
    And so I sucked up my insecurities and put myself right in the firing line; during a bout of acne, I posted up a close-up picture of my face (without a shred of makeup on) on Facebook along with a post of my story and changing attitudes towards myself. I knew that the spots would be gone soon, but that if I posted the a picture during a good skin phase, the positive rewards of facing up to my skin insecurities would likewise be less (but I wanted to get over my skin insecurities as much as possible) so it really was an "all laid bare, no holding back" sort of picture post aimed for maximum effect.
    And I didn't get rejected.
    Instead. I received a lot of support, and by facing up to my fears in such a way, I took the bullet out of the gun that had previously been my skin insecurities- that day of the post, was the day I finally began to leave my past as a victim of childhood bullying behind.

Since the Facebook post, I've gone on to do all sorts of things, which just a couple of years ago, would have been absolutely unthinkable for me (such as going to the shops without makeup on). I've yet to meet up with any friends without makeup on (although that is on the cards), but I have taken up jogging/running without makeup on in both nighttime and daylight hours (I've been going for a 4+ job every other day now for months now,), which in the past, is something I would never have dreamed of doing.

So steadily and surely now, I've been becoming increasingly liberated from the constraints of makeup (and have never been so happier & healthier for it!). Getting ready in the mornings is so much quicker, and lately, my skin has began to look so clear, that even when I do wear foundation, its hard to tell the difference between the looks.

I'm doing driving lessons at the moment but in the near future, I'd like to do motorbike lessons too. And being able to not wear makeup is very good thing if you ride a motorbike (because motorbike helmets fit the face so snuggly and can get so hot, that its very difficult to wear makeup without it being rubbed or sweated off onto the helmet).

Yay for wearing no makeup ^_^v !

The only thing that I really focus on now, is achieving good looking skin through healthy lifestyle (good diet, exercise etc) and by protecting it from the elements (from drying out, from UV rays etc). I use increasingly natural products (like coconut oil) and the only thing I really spend any real time/detail on is my daily moisturizing regime (which has helped my skin to improve greatly). Even when I do go out for nights out, my makeup look is becoming so toned down, that its now at the point of being no more than a bit of light foundation, mascara and tinted lip gloss (and personally I do prefer a more natural look, as it is so much more youthful/fresh looking).

ReputationRep:
    putting on makeup is honestly one of my most FAV things to do haha, but it’s so time consuming so i usually do a full on MASK one day of the week and end looking like a zombie for the rest of it 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feastful)
    My makeup journey:

When I was aged 11-15/16, I had a lot of problems with spots, and during this miserable phase of my life, I got bullied a lot over my skin. But although my skin became very clear shortly after I turned 16 (and I left the school which had caused me so much misery), by that point the bullying over my skin had already created a severe amount of personal insecurities over my skin (which took many years to overcome).

So from about age 16 onward, I became very dependent on wearing foundation & concealer to help myself feel more confident about my skin (and in turn, more confident in and happier as a person). The trouble was though, that even when my skin was perfectly clear, I still felt like I really couldn't go outside without foundation on (even a humble trip down to the shops/gym/front garden etc would mean having to put foundation and other types of makeup on!). And when over the years when I did occasionally have bouts of spots (triggered by stress etc), the applied foundation would go from being very lightly applied to very heavily applied. Which in turn (in a bid to balance out the heavily applied foundation look) caused me to also apply a lot of other types of makeup (eyeliner, eyebrow pencil etc), so that ultimately, whether I was going through a good skin-phase in life or not, I always had to have makeup on.

I do like makeup; rightly applied, it can certainly make anyone look better (and so many styles can be enhanced by it etc). But instead of the makeup improving my self-confidence, the more I wore it, the more enslaved I became to it to feel good about myself. I really hated the hassle & time spent in the mornings having to put it on, but I was so scared about people seeing my real skin (and rejecting me or treating me as a lesser person because of it etc), I just didn't see going outside without makeup on as a realistic option.

But eventually, I got sick of this status quo. I came to realize that as a fully grown adult, it was stupid to still be suffering because of this childhood legacy of bullying so many years on from it. I was tired of my self-confidence being so intrinsically tied to makeup- I wanted to be free!
    And so I sucked up my insecurities and put myself right in the firing line; during a bout of acne, I posted up a close-up picture of my face (without a shred of makeup on) on Facebook along with a post of my story and changing attitudes towards myself. I knew that the spots would be gone soon, but that if I posted the a picture during a good skin phase, the positive rewards of facing up to my skin insecurities would likewise be less (but I wanted to get over my skin insecurities as much as possible) so it really was an "all laid bare, no holding back" sort of picture post aimed for maximum effect.
    And I didn't get rejected.
    Instead. I received a lot of support, and by facing up to my fears in such a way, I took the bullet out of the gun that had previously been my skin insecurities- that day of the post, was the day I finally began to leave my past as a victim of childhood bullying behind.

Since the Facebook post, I've gone on to do all sorts of things, which just a couple of years ago, would have been absolutely unthinkable for me (such as going to the shops without makeup on). I've yet to meet up with any friends without makeup on (although that is on the cards), but I have taken up jogging/running without makeup on in both nighttime and daylight hours (I've been going for a 4+ job every other day now for months now,), which in the past, is something I would never have dreamed of doing.

So steadily and surely now, I've been becoming increasingly liberated from the constraints of makeup (and have never been so happier & healthier for it!). Getting ready in the mornings is so much quicker, and lately, my skin has began to look so clear, that even when I do wear foundation, its hard to tell the difference between the looks.

I'm doing driving lessons at the moment but in the near future, I'd like to do motorbike lessons too. And being able to not wear makeup is very good thing if you ride a motorbike (because motorbike helmets fit the face so snuggly and can get so hot, that its very difficult to wear makeup without it being rubbed or sweated off onto the helmet).

Yay for wearing no makeup ^_^v !

The only thing that I really focus on now, is achieving good looking skin through healthy lifestyle (good diet, exercise etc) and by protecting it from the elements (from drying out, from UV rays etc). I use increasingly natural products (like coconut oil) and the only thing I really spend any real time/detail on is my daily moisturizing regime (which has helped my skin to improve greatly). Even when I do go out for nights out, my makeup look is becoming so toned down, that its now at the point of being no more than a bit of light foundation, mascara and tinted lip gloss (and personally I do prefer a more natural look, as it is so much more youthful/fresh looking).
    Glad you're not enslavedby make up any more, I'm in that age group you mentioned initially and I suppose I've been lucky enough to be blessed with clear skin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purplemonkeys)
    Glad you're not enslavedby make up any more, I'm in that age group you mentioned initially and I suppose I've been lucky enough to be blessed with clear skin.
    A big part of it (what skin type you turn out to get) is really just down to luck.

In the end, the main upside to my skin, has been that although I had a really rough time with it when I was in my early to mid teens, as an adult,
    in comparison to most other people's skin of my age group (and more so as time goes by!) it looks more youthful and in much better condition that a lot of other people's (so there has been a silver lining to the cloud). I guess all those problems with spots during my younger years, were just a precursor to a much slower aging skin type (so there is that to be grateful for ^_^v !).

ReputationRep:
    Hiya doll! I wear a full face of make up and do admit go over the top. My reasons are I love make up and being creative. And it makes me feel very confident. I get it does enhance my appearance but I don't care if people think I catfish lol x

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.