Turn on thread page Beta

What math topics to cover before msc in data science watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently completing a bsc in finance, investment and risk, and have been accepted to pursue an msc in data science this October. I have covered finance related stats and am confident with it, but i am concerned that my core math/stats may be lacking (haven't looked at it since A levels over five years ago). I want to spend the time from now until October on brushing up, and so opinions on a study plan/books would be greatly appreciated. The areas i want to study are:

Linear algebra
    Calculus-PDE's in particular
    Probability theory
    Real analyses
    Stochastic calculus (purely for my own interest if time permits)

Obviously i am not looking to master all of these topics, but i want to get back to the nitty gritty of the fundamentals, because i am concerned that other students on the msc may have come from a pure mathematics background. I am fortunate enough to be able to dedicate a great deal of time to this, and i work better from books as apposed to moocs etc.

Are the Schaum outline books a good place to start? I have purchased a few and they seem to be chock full of exercises. I am also starting to read Analyses 1 by Terence Tao.

Opinions please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parsley22)
    I am currently completing a bsc in finance, investment and risk, and have been accepted to pursue an msc in data science this October. I have covered finance related stats and am confident with it, but i am concerned that my core math/stats may be lacking (haven't looked at it since A levels over five years ago). I want to spend the time from now until October on brushing up, and so opinions on a study plan/books would be greatly appreciated. The areas i want to study are:

Linear algebra
    Calculus-PDE's in particular
    Probability theory
    Real analyses
    Stochastic calculus (purely for my own interest if time permits)
    I'd say you have a pretty good selection of topics there. Of the ones that you list, I'd say that you're least likely to come across PDE's at MSc level for Data Science (they may arise at research level when you're looking at means of optimizing objective functions) and I think it relatively unlikely that stochastic calculus would arise. My suggestion is to focus on probability theory (which will lead you on to the parts of real analysis that you might just come across at masters level - i.e. measure theory), linear algebra and multidimensional calculus - make sure that you're comfortable with differentiating matrix equations, for example.

Are the Schaum outline books a good place to start? I have purchased a few and they seem to be chock full of exercises. I am also starting to read Analyses 1 by Terence Tao.
    Schaum stuff can be good if you like learning via problems.I'd go by Amazon reviews to see which individual volumes are best. For probability, Grimmett & Stirzaker is pretty much a standard tome (with Grimmett's "Probability: an Introduction" as a suitable alternative if G & S is too much). For good textbooks on Data Science itself (that will lead you to investigating the maths that you need), both Kuhn & Johnson's "Applied Predictive Modeling" and James, Witten Hastie & Tibshirani "An Introduction to Statistical Learning" are excellent. Hastie, Tibshirani & Friedman "Elements of Statistical Learning" is an excellent handbook.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 8, 2018

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.