Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Just thought I'd maintain the stereotype that Liberals chase and value meaningless titles
    Not something I'd be proud of but ok!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a tad underwhelmed at the cabinet to be perfectly honest. We'll see what good they can achieve.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    having a minister without portfolio XD
    proof if anybody needs it that the libs do titles for the sake of titles
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd maintain the stereotype that Liberals chase and value meaningless titles
    Well I'm glad you admit it :lol:

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Pet just admitted above
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Minister Without Portfolio
    Rt Hon. Afcwimbledon2 MP (Liberal)
    This further proves how desperate this "government" is.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    This further proves how desperate this "government" is.
    How does it prove we’re being desperate...Petros just said his reasoning for the titles. It’s not an act of desperation and was meant to be more light hearted ...
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You do realise I'm literally taking the mick right?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    How does it prove we’re being desperate...Petros just said his reasoning for the titles. It’s not an act of desperation and was meant to be more light hearted ...
    Well excuse me, but that is how the appointment came across until I had seen the comment made by the " Rt Honorable Pm".

However don't get me wrong this "government" is indeed desperate in its dire attempt to govern with its trivial seat count.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Well excuse me, but that is how the appointment came across until I had seen the comment made by the " Rt Honorable Pm".

However don't get me wrong this "government" is indeed desperate in its dire attempt to govern with its trivial seat count.
    Well, no alternative Government decided to form? Maybe if Labour and the Tories were more appealing we'd have a different government
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, no alternative Government decided to form? Maybe if Labour and the Tories were more appealing we'd have a different government
    Well, maybe if the Liberals had decided to put aside party politics and decided to negotiate with labour to create a stable and concurrent government rather than this mess of a coalition.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Well, maybe if the Liberals had decided to put aside party politics and decided to negotiate with labour to create a stable and concurrent government rather than this mess of a coalition.
    Maybe you should take up that with your leader, who decided to abandon all principles and approach my current coalition partners instead of approaching me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    This is hardly a mess. Liberals and Libertarians have the potential to have a government where both parties can pursue their own agenda. You must know the liberals have been in a coalition with labour before and it’s fair to say it didn’t end well. Can’t be surprised they weren’t willing to go into a coalition with labour so soon
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am delighted to be appointed as Chancellor of the Exchequer and look forward to working with this government. I have long advocated for the Libertarian Party to be included in government, so it is good to finally see that achieved. Due to the circumstances surrounding the last government, we have inherited a mess, but I will be working hard to bring some stability to the house through my position. To The PoliticalGuy and others calling this a misjudged coalition, I ask you to wait and see what we can do. This is a very unsual combination due to the absence of the traditional big two parties and should be interesting for the house to see. Our interests are closely aligned as parties and it should allow us to get some good stuff done in the remaining half of the term.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    This is hardly a mess. Liberals and Libertarians have the potential to have a government where both parties can pursue their own agenda. You must know the liberals have been in a coalition with labour before and it’s fair to say it didn’t end well. Can’t be surprised they weren’t willing to go into a coalition with labour so soon
    How will the "government" pursue their agenda when they are a long distance away from a majority?

How will you expect to pass the budget?
    How will you expect to pass key government legislation?
    Are you planning on doing confidence and supply deals with the NatCons or the Tories?

I fail to see how this coalition will last very long.

ReputationRep:
    How will the "government" pursue their agenda when they are a long distance away from a majority?

Are you planning on doing confidence and supply deals with the NatCons or the Tories?

Minority governments are the norm in the MHOC since we use pure proportional representation under the party list system, allocating seats using the d’hondt method.

It has been several terms since a budget was passed on here, even governments that are only 1 or 2 seats away from a majority have seen their budgets fail.

As for legislation, the general idea is that we govern to consensus, aiming to attract support from Conservative and Labour MPs in different policy areas.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador

No government has had a majority, budgets haven’t been passed in some years from my understanding. Indeed I think parliament 25’s LabLibSoc had the majority and yet at the best chance they’ve ever had of passing such legislation, it all came crashing down on them.
    It’s not required to make confidence and supply deals, definitely not to the scale that was considered before the beginning of this parliament by my party to Labour. I will not speak for how we will tackle these issues but this is a problem that quite literally every MHoC government has had and we are no different.
    You still have failed to explain why this coalition won’t last long
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Maybe you should take up that with your leader, who decided to abandon all principles and approach my current coalition partners instead of approaching me
    Perhaps he looked at what has happened recently and decided not to fall into a pit of snakes...
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Perhaps he looked at what has happened recently and decided not to fall into a pit of snakes...
    Rich coming from the guy that snaked an informal agreement between coalition partners, but let's not get into that...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Rich coming from the guy that snaked an informal agreement between coalition partners, but let's not get into that...
    I don't think you know what "snake" means - maybe you should look to your self-proclaimed snake former Leader hm?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    To The PoliticalGuy and others calling this a misjudged coalition, I ask you to wait and see what we can do.
    Can't help but see the irony in that.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.