Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to know if anyone knew which universities are the best in the UK for medical research. I received an offer from Edinburgh for medicine but also have interviews at Bristol and Birmingham and wanted to know which was the best for research opportunities ? I also don't know which to choose because Edinburgh is probably the best med school, Birmingham had such an amazing campus uni and Bristol seemed like the most fun student town. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I think different universities have different good aspects of medical research e.g. Bristol is very good for cancer research if remember correctly. Birmingham is good on surgery stuff so on and so forth

ReputationRep:
    All medical schools have a research element attached to their course (via intercalation /SSC), so the vast majority if not all UK medical schools have a very strong research background. Thus I would not choose a medical school based on research reputation but based on where you personally see yourself in maybe 5-10 years time. They are all excellent medical school, however, I have heard that to intercalate at Bristol, you'd need to be achieving quiet high marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cholinomimetic)
    All medical schools have a research element attached to their course (via intercalation /SSC), so the vast majority if not all UK medical schools have a very strong research background. Thus I would not choose a medical school based on research reputation but based on where you personally see yourself in maybe 5-10 years time. They are all excellent medical school, however, I have heard that to intercalate at Bristol, you'd need to be achieving quiet high marks.
    I can see myself at all three is the problem 😥😥😥😥 how did u make ur decision?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrXavier)
    I think different universities have different good aspects of medical research e.g. Bristol is very good for cancer research if remember correctly. Birmingham is good on surgery stuff so on and so forth
    Thanks! I should probably look into that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astridS)
    I can see myself at all three is the problem 😥😥😥😥 how did u make ur decision?
    Indeed. I based it on how I "felt" on campus, how friendly and supportive the surrounding was, a variable that can change daily I'm sure but it certainly worked for me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The most tangible element is probably how easy it is to intercalate. That is your first taste of research really so you really should be trying to do it.

I do not know how easy that is at each of those unis, but you should find out. In order for exact processes, you will probably need to contact each uni directly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astridS)
    Just wanted to know if anyone knew which universities are the best in the UK for medical research. I received an offer from Edinburgh for medicine but also have interviews at Bristol and Birmingham and wanted to know which was the best for research opportunities ? I also don't know which to choose because Edinburgh is probably the best med school, Birmingham had such an amazing campus uni and Bristol seemed like the most fun student town. Any thoughts?
    Genuinely don't think it makes much difference to be honest. You'll have opportunities at them all.

I'd guess Edinburgh is probably technically the best out of that group for "medical research".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.