Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok so suddenly out of nowhere, Edexcel have changed their applied specification, which requires knowledge of A2 Integration.

Therefore my school are pulling out students from the AS exams, since they do not have enough time to cover the new topic.

However, some students (like me) are wanting to drop Further maths after year 12, and purely do the AS for the qualification. However my school has said that they cannot teach the new part since they do not have enough time. However they said they will still let those who want to do the AS, do the AS exam, but will also give them a choice of resit in year 13. I'm thinking about just doing it now, because I do 5 AS subjects, and dropping further maths was my plan. I chose 5 since I did not know what my ambition was, plus my school requires students to do 5 AS exams if Further Maths is a choice along with Maths.

I have no clue what the new topic is, and would it worth to revise it on my own? I've also got a private tutor, and a lot of spare time, so I can try and do it.

further spec I'm doing: FP1, FM1, FM2
    I need advice from someone who has a good knowledge of the new spec.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What modules are you doing? and is the applied integration youre talking about just the volumes of revolution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ehf134)
    What modules are you doing? and is the applied integration youre talking about just the volumes of revolution?
    the new AS further maths. It doesn't have modules and just a pure, and applied section,

ReputationRep:
    Which chapter requires knowledge of it?

ReputationRep:
    yhyh what are the applied things youre doing? like you do the pure core stuff in the butterfly green book, and then you choose 2 of mechanics 1 + 2, stats 1+2, decision 1+2 or further pure stuff ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ehf134)
    yhyh what are the applied things youre doing? like you do the pure core stuff in the butterfly green book, and then you choose 2 of mechanics 1 + 2, stats 1+2, decision 1+2 or further pure stuff ?
    mechanics 1 + 2. It's the second book of mechanics because it hasn't been released yet, and the teachers told us today.

ReputationRep:
    I'd learn it yourself. A2 integration doesn't take long to learn, if you do it by yourself you could probably do it on a weekend easily.

For the sake of this thread, could you point out which amendment to the specification you're talking about? Are you doing FPM1 and FPM2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by num.7)
    Which chapter requires knowledge of it?
    further mechanics 2 i think. We haven't been the given books yet, and the school has only been given an online version from the exam board, so I have 0 clue about it

ReputationRep:
    im doing the exact same but completely self teaching all of it, think its april 19th for the textbook? Im just gonna work through the spec until the textbook is released and teach myself from there and then when the book comes out il make sure ive got everything, you aint the only one dw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RickHendricks)
    mechanics 1 + 2. It's the second book of mechanics because it hasn't been released yet, and the teachers told us today.
    Your school loves to make things difficult, don't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by num.7)
    Your school loves to make things difficult, don't they?
    its a grammar aswell xD

They also prevented me from taking AS RS, which was what I orginally wanted to do, but they couldn't do RS and Chemistry together.

ReputationRep:
    its a grammar aswell xD

They also prevented me from taking AS RS, which was what I orginally wanted to do, but they couldn't do RS and Chemistry together.
    you shud thank them for preventing you from doing rs, unless you wanted to be a priest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jw123)
    you shud thank them for preventing you from doing rs, unless you wanted to be a priest?
    RS has always been an interesting and good subject for me. I wanted to take it because I needed atleast 4 subjects, and i couldn't count Further Maths into it.

ReputationRep:
    ok so suddenly out of nowhere, Edexcel have changed their applied specification, which requires knowledge of A2 Integration.

Therefore my school are pulling out students from the AS exams, since they do not have enough time to cover the new topic.

However, some students (like me) are wanting to drop Further maths after year 12, and purely do the AS for the qualification. However my school has said that they cannot teach the new part since they do not have enough time. However they said they will still let those who want to do the AS, do the AS exam, but will also give them a choice of resit in year 13. I'm thinking about just doing it now, because I do 5 AS subjects, and dropping further maths was my plan. I chose 5 since I did not know what my ambition was, plus my school requires students to do 5 AS exams if Further Maths is a choice along with Maths.

I have no clue what the new topic is, and would it worth to revise it on my own? I've also got a private tutor, and a lot of spare time, so I can try and do it.

further spec I'm doing: FP1, FM1, FM2
    I need advice from someone who has a good knowledge of the new spec.

Thanks
    You have a while to go and you can learn integration in a day or so, if you really wanted to. You could do it esp if you only have a maths AS (I thought other subjects had them eradicated).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funky2722)
    You have a while to go and you can learn integration in a day or so, if you really wanted to. You could do it esp if you only have a maths AS (I thought other subjects had them eradicated).
    i'm also doing a Maths AS exam this year, along with the planned AS further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    i'm also doing a Maths AS exam this year, along with the planned AS further Maths.
    that should be fine, just learn it all by yourself. Should be able to do it in a few days. Good luck!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.