Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I made an uninformed decision by accepting a uni which was nearby but I didn't know anything about it. I accepted their offer because my original choice wouldn't be funded since it was a seperate foundation year and SFW kindly refused.

However, I am having second thoughts. First off, the university (South Wales) is really low on the league tables in terms of graduate prospects. Second, my dad insists on moving because he doesn't want me to travel by train every day, and I can't refuse because I am dependent on a guardian due to health reasons. Third, while I liked the city of Pontypridd when I visited, I didn't like the fact that the uni campus is far away from the city centre (20 minute walk but still). It also didn't help that the uni was situated next to the graveyards.

On the other hand, I realise that going through extra will be risky and since I am an EU student, I don't know if I can afford taking a gap year with Brexit coming down and the funding of EU nationals being uncertain. What is more, I originally declined the uni I want to apply to precisely because of the reason stated above. And I am also not sure how I will compete with other applicants since I have a Bulgarian secondary education diploma and not A-levels.

Should I just suck it up and go to my current uni or should I take a risk by being released and going through extra?

ReputationRep:
    If you've accepted an offer can you still actually go through extra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    If you've accepted an offer can you still actually go through extra?
    From what I gather from my confirmation letter, I would have to ask the uni to release me and call UCAS to confirm that I will be able to go through Extra.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by HellKnight)
    From what I gather from my confirmation letter, I would have to ask the uni to release me and call UCAS to confirm that I will be able to go through Extra.
    You should talk to some universities you’re interested in applying to through extra before starting the process of giving up your place. You have already rushed into the wrong choice once so take your time to make sure you get it right on your second attempt. Talk to a few different universities and properly research the courses and universities.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.