Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do people consider the biggest reasonable age gap between two people?
    Just curious to see whether anyone has the same opinion as me, I’m not looking for advice. I was just pondering it, since the biggest I’ve done is 5-6 years gap with an older guy and I personally think that’s reasonable. But I’ve seen others and friends of mine involved in 7, 8, 9 year gaps in the past.

What do you think?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    My parents are 11 years apart

ReputationRep:
    Wow, mine are 8 years apart I think, but divorced now. I did forget that a lot of people have parents with a decent age gap haha, that’s a good point
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The French rule never lies.

Before anyone asks, your age /2 +7 = minimum age of the person you should be with.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Half age plus seven rule: In the relationship, the age of the younger person should not be less than half the age of the older person plus seven years.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's a 7 year gap between me and my boyfriend, and so far it's going strong. It feels like we are the same age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfabsmells)
    You don't even know who your parents are you unloved orphan.
    ? I live with my mum and I’m estranged from my dad. I know who they are, you troll

ReputationRep:
    depends how old you are. 5 year gap at 30 is fine. a 5 year gap at 15 is not.

my parents are 13 years apart and they've been married for almost 28 years so big age gaps can work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)

Before anyone asks, your age /2 +7 = minimum age of the person you should be with.
    Lmao it gives me the same age haha

ReputationRep:
    The biggest gap I've ever done was 14 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    The biggest gap I've ever done was 14 years.
    Respect.

ReputationRep:
    Of both parties are comfortable and it's not child abuse then idc

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable going for anybody much older than me. Younger I dunno, I don't really interact with anybody much younger than me.
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)

(Original post by The Night King)
    Half age plus seven rule: In the relationship, the age of the younger person should not be less than half the age of the older person plus seven years.
    Naahhh, gives huge anomalies for early adolescence. 12 year old boys just learning how to get this stuff going apparently must only try and chat up gals a year older than them. Sounds like putting it on hard mode to me idk. Also do you round up or round down if you get a .5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getmeoffmyphone)
    Just curious to see whether anyone has the same opinion as me, I’m not looking for advice. I was just pondering it, since the biggest I’ve done is 4 years gap with an older guy and I personally think that’s reasonable. But I’ve seen others and friends of mine dealing with 7, 8, 9 year gaps in the past.

What do you think?
    Personally I would only go for up to 3 years older.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to get some abuse for admitting this, but my partner was 30 years older than me. We were incredibly happy together and it was the best relationship i had (i'm in my late 30's myself). Although he was so much older he was actually fitter and healthier than me. Inevitably, we both knew he was likely to die before me, and he did - i always thought old age would get him but actually it was an aggressive brain tumour which appeared out of the blue and he was gone within 3 weeks (this happened last year). But i have no regrets and the times i spent with him were the happiest of my life. We knew each other for 8 years but lived together for 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fazzy_77)
    Personally I would only go for up to 3 years older.
    that was my rule too, up until I turned 18, but now I'm comfortable with 4-5 at most. My guy is great so idc really :P

ReputationRep:
    In a 9 year gap right now, in a pretty serious and fantastic relationship. We also feel like we are the same age.

ReputationRep:
    that was my rule too, up until I turned 18, but now I'm comfortable with 4-5 at most. My guy is great so idc really :P
    As long as you're happy

ReputationRep:
    Just curious to see whether anyone has the same opinion as me, I’m not looking for advice. I was just pondering it, since the biggest I’ve done is 4 years gap with an older guy and I personally think that’s reasonable. But I’ve seen others and friends of mine dealing with 7, 8, 9 year gaps in the past.

What do you think?
    When you're under 20, I would say a couple of years is OK, but not more than that. If you're older, say, in your early 20s or mid 20s, then a reasonable gap could be 3-5 years, something like that? Once you get older than that, most people don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnalouise99)
    I'm probably going to get some abuse for admitting this, but my partner was 30 years older than me. We were incredibly happy together and it was the best relationship i had (i'm in my late 30's myself). Although he was so much older he was actually fitter and healthier than me. Inevitably, we both knew he was likely to die before me, and he did - i always thought old age would get him but actually it was an aggressive brain tumour which appeared out of the blue and he was gone within 3 weeks (this happened last year). But i have no regrets and the times i spent with him were the happiest of my life. We knew each other for 8 years but lived together for 2.
    That is all at once incredibly sweet and incredibly sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
    In a 9 year gap right now, in a pretty serious and fantastic relationship. We also feel like we are the same age.
    thats what I mean. once youre no longer a minor its all about the connection :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.