Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so with French I've never really bothered up until recently when i was told that I had to do foundation along with (many) other people in my class. I have never revised up until the last two weeks and I have never passed any test across the last two years (bear in mind that i never paid attention, slept in class and never revised) and have got 3's. (D) My goal for my actual GCSE is a 6, (B) is it too late for me to do this? If not, then how do I go about this in the most efficient way possible? Please remember that this is the new GCSE so I don't get the privilege of learning my speaking questions before the actual exam, which sucks.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't an easy question. Ultimately, you really have to think to yourself: am I capable enough to get a 6? I'm not talking about revision, I'm talking about your skills. I'm not going to lie, these new GCSEs are difficult, and as someone who is predicted 8s in everything, and someone who is considered "linguistically gifted" I am struggling to even scrape a 6 in French and German.

However, that's not to say you can't get a 4, 5 or maybe a 6. You just have to work really, really hard and you have to prove to your teacher to put you on higher. That said, the listening and reading for higher are extremely difficult, but there is a high chance there would be relatively low grade boundaries.

But if you go on foundation, and you are more confident with content there, you just have to work really hard to get as many marks as possible, since the grade boundaries would be higher in foundation.

To answer your question, it is possible but very unlikely. You just have to try your hardest, by which I mean go home everyday, do 30mins-1hr for French practice and revision. Speak with your friends. Ask the higher ability people in your class for help on structures and tenses. Use memrise, Language Gym, Duo Lingo. Go to intervention sessions. Just do everything in your power to really push that grade. It's a selfish year; you do you and don't care what others are doing. But you need to take into consideration, you have other subjects and you need to prioritise. And then, at least, you can say you tried your hardest for whatever grade you do get.

ReputationRep:
    Practice practice practice - get people to throw scenarios at you in French. Also, at home or with friends, try to see how long you can go speaking French only. I did this last year and it really helps and puts you on the spot if you turn the conversation creatively. I can’t emphasise enough how important extra resources are - Zut is probably the best website, if you go into the year 12 section there are clips of the French news and French questions relating to the clips. These were how I prepared mostly for my listening and speaking exams last year, even though they are aimed at AS students they are wayyy important for gcse prep, especially because you’ve got harder exams. They are really overwhelming at first but listen over and over and gradually you’ll see improvement. Also any French reading books from libraries - even if they’re just children’s ones - will help you to build your vocabulary and become more accustomed to colloquial and common turns of phrase which will really benefit reading and writing the language. In short if you are prepared to put the work in, I don’t see why you can’t get your 6
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You may also be lucky in the sense that as it’s the first cohort you might have really low grade boundaries like we did for maths and English last year - but don’t count on that to get you through, work hard
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Learn the key grammar rules.
    And then learn the exceptions to those rules.
    Top up your vocabulary, and you're there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inoubliable)
    This isn't an easy question. Ultimately, you really have to think to yourself: am I capable enough to get a 6? I'm not talking about revision, I'm talking about your skills. I'm not going to lie, these new GCSEs are difficult, and as someone who is predicted 8s in everything, and someone who is considered "linguistically gifted" I am struggling to even scrape a 6 in French and German.

However, that's not to say you can't get a 4, 5 or maybe a 6. You just have to work really, really hard and you have to prove to your teacher to put you on higher. That said, the listening and reading for higher are extremely difficult, but there is a high chance there would be relatively low grade boundaries.

But if you go on foundation, and you are more confident with content there, you just have to work really hard to get as many marks as possible, since the grade boundaries would be higher in foundation.

To answer your question, it is possible but very unlikely. You just have to try your hardest, by which I mean go home everyday, do 30mins-1hr for French practice and revision. Speak with your friends. Ask the higher ability people in your class for help on structures and tenses. Use memrise, Language Gym, Duo Lingo. Go to intervention sessions. Just do everything in your power to really push that grade. It's a selfish year; you do you and don't care what others are doing. But you need to take into consideration, you have other subjects and you need to prioritise. And then, at least, you can say you tried your hardest for whatever grade you do get.
    Thanks so much, I'm definitely willing to now put the work in and I think I have the skills to get a 6 as I can pick up listenings and readings quite well (around 60-70%) before even knowing the vocab when i put effort in. I'm definitely going to prove to my teacher I can do it. It's just that I'm predicted 7's and 8's in all other subjects and I dont just want a D or a C beside that as it doesn't look great honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Learn the key grammar rules.
    And then learn the exceptions to those rules.
    Top up your vocabulary, and you're there.
    I definitely agree thanks so much! I've already learnt the ending to all tenses i need to know, including irregular avoir and etre for the perfect. Now i just need to learn irregular stems, all Mrs Vandertramp and the possessives. (learnt some already which is good) I really hope i can get the 6 haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoltek)
    Practice practice practice - get people to throw scenarios at you in French. Also, at home or with friends, try to see how long you can go speaking French only. I did this last year and it really helps and puts you on the spot if you turn the conversation creatively. I can’t emphasise enough how important extra resources are - Zut is probably the best website, if you go into the year 12 section there are clips of the French news and French questions relating to the clips. These were how I prepared mostly for my listening and speaking exams last year, even though they are aimed at AS students they are wayyy important for gcse prep, especially because you’ve got harder exams. They are really overwhelming at first but listen over and over and gradually you’ll see improvement. Also any French reading books from libraries - even if they’re just children’s ones - will help you to build your vocabulary and become more accustomed to colloquial and common turns of phrase which will really benefit reading and writing the language. In short if you are prepared to put the work in, I don’t see why you can’t get your 6
    Thanks! I'll definitely try listening to the year 12 clips, I think they'll help me a lot as listening is a weaker point. Same with speaking i need to try speaking french for a while which I will do for a few hours at the weekend which will help i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoltek)
    You may also be lucky in the sense that as it’s the first cohort you might have really low grade boundaries like we did for maths and English last year - but don’t count on that to get you through, work hard
    No i won't rely on it. The language grade boundaries will be higher too because in other schools its sometimes only people who like it choose it and we're forced to which sucks so much.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.