Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Like most students do, when trying to decide which uni is best for me, I hop straight on to TSR. Now, initially I was optimistic and excited about LSE but having read some forums on here, I find myself massively disheartened. I'm a normal guy who went to a normal state school and then a grammar sixth form. I'm also of South Asian descent. I've read a lot about people like me who aren't privately educated, super wealthy or of a certain ethnic background to feel socially isolated, out of place and find themselves hating their time at LSE. How much of this is true? I'm pretty easy going and like having a laugh just like the next guy, but given my background, would it be silly of me to pick a university like LSE over a more accepting university like say Birmingham or Manchester? For those who have studied at LSE, what were your experiences like and if you were given another chance to pick your university, would you stay well away from LSE?

I know it's great for career opportunities but I really don't want to compromise on what could potentially be the best years of my life for having a good time with likeminded people. I'd love for there to be a balance of the two.

So yeah, someone please ease my worries and tell me its chill af or be up front and tell me it's shite and I need to consider other places.

Cheers 👍🏻
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ConfusedNomad)
    Like most students do, when trying to decide which uni is best for me, I hop straight on to TSR. Now, initially I was optimistic and excited about LSE but having read some forums on here, I find myself massively disheartened. I'm a normal guy who went to a normal state school and then a grammar sixth form. I'm also of South Asian descent. I've read a lot about people like me who aren't privately educated, super wealthy or of a certain ethnic background to feel socially isolated, out of place and find themselves hating their time at LSE. How much of this is true? I'm pretty easy going and like having a laugh just like the next guy, but given my background, would it be silly of me to pick a university like LSE over a more accepting university like say Birmingham or Manchester? For those who have studied at LSE, what were your experiences like and if you were given another chance to pick your university, would you stay well away from LSE?

I know it's great for career opportunities but I really don't want to compromise on what could potentially be the best years of my life for having a good time with likeminded people. I'd love for there to be a balance of the two.

So yeah, someone please ease my worries and tell me its chill af or be up front and tell me it's shite and I need to consider other places.

Cheers 👍🏻
    LSE is in London and certainly isn't a prison. London is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world as is a uni like LSE which attracts people from all over the world.

ReputationRep:
    bump. same situation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.