Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Recently I have been interested in studying abroad in the US to do film, I currently have an offer from The American International University in Richmond to study for 2 years in London and go to Los Angeles for the last year.

However, I thought that if I'm so interested in studying abroad, why not go and do the whole course out there. I'm not too bothered about the tuition fees as to me, debt is debt, and I also feel like I would want to live out there but I was wondering that if I wanted to do a course like this (http://www.tft.ucla.edu/programs/fil...graduate-film/) how would I go about getting in and what would I need?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have a lot of money to pay for UCLA, then there's no point. If you need financial aid, look at universities that have good financial aid for international students. (If you're looking in California: the Claremont colleges [Claremont Mckenna, Pitzer, Pomona, Harvey Mudd, etc], Occidental College. There are loads of unis that offer financial aid for international students). You are not eligible for federal student loans, you will probably have to take it out privately (I don't have a lot of information).

From UCLA website:

UCLA does not award scholarships or financial aid to undergraduate students who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States. International students must prove that they have sufficient funds available to them to pay for their educational and living expenses. For example, students admitted to Fall Quarter 2018 will need a minimum of about $63,000 (with an additional $5,000 recommended for additional personal expenses, contingencies and summer expenses). This minimum amount usually grows each year.
    So that is $252,000 for four years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theholychilli)
    Unless you have a lot of money to pay for UCLA, then there's no point. If you need financial aid, look at universities that have good financial aid for international students. (If you're looking in California: the Claremont colleges [Claremont Mckenna, Pitzer, Pomona, Harvey Mudd, etc], Occidental College. There are loads of unis that offer financial aid for international students). You are not eligible for federal student loans, you will probably have to take it out privately (I don't have a lot of information).

From UCLA website:

So that is $252,000 for four years.
    Jesus, I did not think about the substantial difference in fees. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshuaKing00)
    Jesus, I did not think about the substantial difference in fees. Thank you
    No problem! Yeah it's quite a lot ahaha, but if you are interested in studying in the states for a full 4 years, there are many great unis and liberal arts colleges in the US that give amazing and really generous financial aid to international students (as long as you are a very good applicant), and sometimes you can even graduate with little or no debt (little = still less than UK). Check my post history for more info about studying in the US and applying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theholychilli)
    No problem! Yeah it's quite a lot ahaha, but if you are interested in studying in the states for a full 4 years, there are many great unis and liberal arts colleges in the US that give amazing and really generous financial aid to international students (as long as you are a very good applicant), and sometimes you can even graduate with little or no debt (little = still less than UK). Check my post history for more info about studying in the US and applying
    Many thanks

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.