Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Basically, I dont need a tv licence as I dont receive any live broadcasts at my apartment, the tv is untuned and is solely for use as a pc monitor/retro games.

When I lived in halls, I got no hassle at all, now im living in an appartment im finding this hassle to be abit too much to deal with. Im considering spending the £150 just to stop the harrasment. I'm really unconfortable with the idea of letting a stranger into the property, my friends advice is "dont let them in" because they will "try to scam you".

So far i've received about 10 letter (in the past 5 months) and two visits.

First visit the guy hid his face from the front door security camera and didnt say anything except "tv licence" i said i was busy and hung up.

Today, two buff older guys show up at my front door (4th floor) having gotten a neighbour to let them in. Demanding to come into the property repeatedly saying "it only takes a minuite", I had to repeat about 4-5 times that im busy and dont want people in. After closing the door, i saw via the keyhole they just stood there waiting for about 5 minutes. I found this quite intimidating 😕. Why would there be two of them.. anyway

I already suffer with anxiety and stress at uni, and after this encounter I had a panic attack.
    Is it actually safe to let these people in or will they in some way tamper with my stuff to try and dupe me into a licence I dont need? Or should i just waste £150 to make this stop. They left saying they'll be back and will keep coming back until I let them in. Conflicting reports online 😞

ReputationRep:
    If you are not using the features of the TV licence then you have absolutely no reason to waste the £150. You are entirely in your rights to just not own on and just tell the licence people to essentially "piss off". Don't let them in, they have no legal reason to grant access to your property
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, I dont need a tv licence as I dont receive any live broadcasts at my apartment, the tv is untuned and is solely for use as a pc monitor/retro games.

When I lived in halls, I got no hassle at all, now im living in an appartment im finding this hassle to be abit too much to deal with. Im considering spending the £150 just to stop the harrasment. I'm really unconfortable with the idea of letting a stranger into the property, my friends advice is "dont let them in" because they will "try to scam you".

First visit the guy hid his face from the front door security camera and didnt say anything except "tv licence" i said i was busy and hung up.

Today, two buff older guys show up at my front door (4th floor) having gotten a neighbour to let them in. Demanding to come into the property repeatedly saying "it only takes a minuite", I had to repeat about 4-5 times that im busy and dont want people in. After closing the door, i saw via the keyhole they just stood there waiting for about 5 minutes. I found this quite intimidating 😕. Why would there be two of them.. anyway

I already suffer with anxiety and stress at uni, and after this encounter I had a panic attack.
    Is it actually safe to let these people in or will they in some way tamper with my stuff to try and dupe me into a licence I dont need? Or should i just waste £150 to make this stop. They left saying they'll be back and will keep coming back until I let them in. Conflicting reports online 😞
    You can declare that you don;t need a licence online http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...d-a-tv-licence. I wouldn't let them in as they could see a tv and expect you to prove why you have no licence

ReputationRep:

This is why we shouldn't have a stupid rip off TV licence. Just to pay Gary Linker and friends 4 million each a year without Adverts, disgrace.

ReputationRep:

Just don't let them in unless if they have a warrant. If they ring your door and you answered, then tell them that you don't require a TV lincence because [insert legitimate reason].

You have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    dw the TV license people are not the police, they are hired as sales people by capita, a private company.

If they turn up to your flat, just say you are busy and have to go somewhere, ask them to leave.

You do not have to answer their question or reply to tv license letters.

they really on a mass spam strategy, hope someone get scared and pays.

they wont pursue people who ignore them constantly, too much effort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    This is why we shouldn't have a stupid rip off TV licence. Just to pay Gary Linker and friends 4 million each a year without Adverts, disgrace.
    well gary lineker's salary is market driven, he earns similar to what football pundits earn on BT Sport and Sky.

My problem with BBC is lack of original content for too much money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    well gary lineker's salary is market driven, he earns similar to what football pundits earn on BT Sport and Sky.

Taxpayer money can't be allowed to be market driven. Not even a great pundit either. Do we even need BBC sport anyway? Surely they can get money from adverts like the rest do? Or/ and subscription like Sky. Also Sky and BT don't pay much more do they? Most of the money goes to football clubs for TV licensing fees.

The Government are useless numerous petitions to scrap the license and they won't. Imagine that money going elsewhere, Police, NHS etc
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

This is the thing though, i've used that link online and stated I dont need a licence. The guys who came over today stated they were looking for ___ the previous tenents name.I said that I've already filled in the online form they said "then they send us and we come in to inspect".

Repeatedly telling them to go away is making me nervous, its so unexpected when they show up as well, the first time it was at 8-9pm 😕. im tempted to just let them in an effort to stop them coming but i've heard so many people say not to do that. I really dont want to waste £150 either. I only know (personally) two other people who dont need/pay for a licence and neither of them seem to be getting this much hassle.

ReputationRep:

Lack of original content? They make plenty of high quality documentaries and drama series.

ReputationRep:
    dw the TV license people are not the police, they are hired as sales people by capita, a private company.

If they turn up to your flat, just say you are busy and have to go somewhere, ask them to leave.

You do not have to answer their question or reply to tv license letters.

they really on a mass spam strategy, hope someone get scared and pays.

they wont pursue people who ignore them constantly, too much effort
    Do worry, they can take it to a Court, where the Maximum fine is £1000

ReputationRep:
    This is the thing though, i've used that link online and stated I dont need a licence. The guys who came over today stated they were looking for ___ the previous tenents name.I said that I've already filled in the online form they said "then they send us and we come in to inspect".

Repeatedly telling them to go away is making me nervous, its so unexpected when they show up as well, the first time it was at 8-9pm 😕. im tempted to just let them in an effort to stop them coming but i've heard so many people say not to do that. I really dont want to waste £150 either. I only know (personally) two other people who dont need/pay for a licence and neither of them seem to be getting this much hassle.
    Alternatively you can hide your TV and then let them to inspect your household (only when they shown you their ID).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    You get fined only if you are found guilty, obviously. The OP has a legitimate excuse.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, they say a lot of things. Ignore them or if they do return complain to TV Licensing or ask them for contact details so you can complain to their manager. Should make them bugger off.

You have no obligation to let them in without a warrant. It would be like me turning up at your door and insisting you show me your fridge: you'd tell me to jog on and if I tried to walk in without your permission, you'd give me a clip around the ear. Unfortunately these people are poorly paid and not very bright, and usually not wholly familiar with what their privileges are. A stern warning from their manager should do the trick.

(Original post by stoyfan)
    You get fined only if you are found guilty, obviously. The OP has a legitimate excuse.

I really hope it doesnt go as far as court 😐, I've heard of people being wrongly taken to court and in the however rare off-chance im falsely found guilty, im more concerned about the 'criminal conviction' buisness. I spend some 5months of the year abroad and need visas to visit some friends, that will be a problem.
    My tv has never been tuned, it doesnt have internet or anything. But what about laptops.. could I be taken to court because I own a laptop, despite never using iplayer 😕. If they came in and saw my set up.. couldnt they just accuse me of using the laptop, am I expected to prove that I dont watch iplayer.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope it doesnt go as far as court 😐, I've heard of people being wrongly taken to court and in the however rare off-chance im falsely found guilty, im more concerned about the 'criminal conviction' buisness. I spend some 5months of the year abroad and need visas to visit some friends, that will be a problem.
    My tv has never been tuned, it doesnt have internet or anything. But what about laptops.. could I be taken to court because I own a laptop, despite never using iplayer 😕. If they came in and saw my set up.. couldnt they just accuse me of using the laptop, am I expected to prove that I dont watch iplayer.
    Do some research about how you can get yourself out of this mess (other than paying). Also look at people's past experiences when they had to deal with the same problem that you are facing now.

It seems that the way forward is singing a declaration that you don't need a TV licence, but you could just ignore them (your call).

Here is a link a good link:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence

See tip 8.

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/aUKqwbEHS2w

Watch this video. It explains the corruption behind case studies, with references to law

ReputationRep:
    Don't let the TV License Gestapo in your home.

I don't get why we still have state TV here in Britain, it gives me the creeps. We should privatise the BBC and Channel 4. Sell BBC to the Walt Disney Company and Channel 4 to Discovery Inc, BT Group or 21st Century Fox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Just no, dont go around posting random second rumors you heard down the pub. FAKE NEWS!

ReputationRep:
    Just no, dont go post random second rumous facts you heard down the pub
    What??😂😂Its called Law😂https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence here you go. Don't go spouting about things you dont know. Such fake news. What do you study?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.