The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Mathematics: Further Pure FP2 6668 01 - 06 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find the 2018 Edexcel FP2 exam?

Amazing! :woo: 47%
Good :H 33%
Okay :bebored: 13%
Bad :cry2: 4%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@3%
Total votes: 221

Edexcel A Level (Further) Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Further Pure 2
Date: Wednesday 6th June 2018
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 4 :crazy:

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find all Edexcel Maths past papers [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371"]here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. Materials for FP2 can be found here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence!

Other Edexcel Exam Threads:
Edexcel AS Core Maths C1
Edexcel AS Core Maths C2
Edexcel A2 Core Maths C3
Edexcel A2 Core Maths C4
Edexcel AS Mechanics M1
Edexcel A2 Mechanics M2
Edexcel AS Statistics S1
Edexcel A2 Statistics S2
Edexcel AS Decision Maths D1
Edexcel A2 Decision Maths D2
Edexcel AS Further Pure FP1
Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP3
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Past papers and textbook - love FP2 actually (apart from transformations of complex)
Original post by thekidwhogames
Past papers and textbook - love FP2 actually (apart from transformations of complex)

I find FP2 so hard :sad: and lol I didn't have a clue what was happening in transformations of the complex plane :burnout:
Original post by Protostar
I find FP2 so hard :sad: and lol I didn't have a clue what was happening in transformations of the complex plane :burnout:

I would recommend the textbook as I found it a God-sent with examsolutions. You taking C1-C4,FP1-FP3?
I would recommend the textbook as I found it a God-sent with examsolutions. You taking C1-C4,FP1-FP3?

Yeah I have the textbook and use it but even so :hide: And nah, only up to FP2 (and doing core maths with AQA anyway haha)
Yeah I have the textbook and use it but even so :hide: And nah, only up to FP2 (and doing core maths with AQA anyway haha)

Ah, if you want help I can try explain some concepts if other resources don't help. Ah - good luck! So you doing FP1-FP2; what about applied?
Ah, if you want help I can try explain some concepts if other resources don't help. Ah - good luck! So you doing FP1-FP2; what about applied?

Thanks, I'll see how I get on and then see :smile: And yeah, I did FP1 along with D1 and D2 last year, then this year I'm doing FP2, M2 and S2. How about you?
Yes, been waiting for this thread, by far my favourite module! How's everyone feeling? I simply cant wait for this paper!!
Thanks, I'll see how I get on and then see :smile: And yeah, I did FP1 along with D1 and D2 last year, then this year I'm doing FP2, M2 and S2. How about you?

Ah damn - good luck!
I'm taking C1-C4, FP1-FP3, S1-S2, M1-M2 and D1 so rip xD
Original post by Radioactivedecay
Yes, been waiting for this thread, by far my favourite module! How's everyone feeling? I simply cant wait for this paper!!

Dreading FP2 like mad, will by far be my hardest exam! Why does everyone love it so much :cry:

Ah damn - good luck!
I'm taking C1-C4, FP1-FP3, S1-S2, M1-M2 and D1 so rip xD

FP3 :afraid: Good mix there though! What's your favourite out of decision/stats/mechanics?

I'm doing the exact same modules! How you feeling about M2 centres of mass and hypo testting is S2? Those are the roughest bits in my opinion.
Dreading FP2 like mad, will by far be my hardest exam! Why does everyone love it so much :cry:

FP3 :afraid: Good mix there though! What's your favourite out of decision/stats/mechanics?

FP3 is amazing! I hate all the applied aha I found M1 to be my hardest module - took me a month to self-teach M1 but only a month for FP1-FP3. Don't even get me started on M2!!
I'm doing the exact same modules! How you feeling about M2 centres of mass and hypo testting is S2? Those are the roughest bits in my opinion.

Ooooh nice! I'm feeling fine about CoM and M2 as a whole really, but the 2017 CoM question was vile, as was collisions, so I need to be prepared :tongue: And we're not too far into S2 at the moment, only on Chapter 3 so I have the joys of hypothesis testing to come :tongue: Stats really doesn't agree with me on the whole though!
FP3 is amazing! I hate all the applied aha I found M1 to be my hardest module - took me a month to self-teach M1 but only a month for FP1-FP3. Don't even get me started on M2!!

I liked the sound of FP3 more than FP2 if I'm honest, but got outvoted when we had the choice between the two. We're such opposites - I love mechanics :lol: M1 was my best module at AS (my only 100) and I really like M2! I cannot STAND stats though :yucky:
Ooooh nice! I'm feeling fine about CoM and M2 as a whole really, but the 2017 CoM question was vile, as was collisions, so I need to be prepared :tongue: And we're not too far into S2 at the moment, only on Chapter 3 so I have the joys of hypothesis testing to come :tongue: Stats really doesn't agree with me on the whole though!

Haha yeah, I feel for those who took it last year but it could be even worse for us as it's the last year for modular maths and they could throw anything at us. At least we aren't doing FP3 though, FP3>>>FP2 in terms of difficulty.
Haha yeah, I feel for those who took it last year but it could be even worse for us as it's the last year for modular maths and they could throw anything at us. At least we aren't doing FP3 though, FP3>>>FP2 in terms of difficulty.

Last year's paper was awful :redface: Hoping this year's is better but yeah as you say we should prepare for even worse... and is it really? Most people say they prefer FP3 to 2
Last year's paper was awful :redface: Hoping this year's is better but yeah as you say we should prepare for even worse... and is it really? Most people say they prefer FP3 to 2

I think they prefer cuz it's far more interesting. They do cool stuff like hyperbolic functions 3x3 matrices, further integration and vectors. Meanwhile we have methods of differences first order equations :frown:
I think they prefer cuz it's far more interesting. They do cool stuff like hyperbolic functions 3x3 matrices, further integration and vectors. Meanwhile we have methods of differences first order equations :frown:

Yeah it definitely looked more interesting from the spec :sad: First order DEs boggle me, I can do second order fine but not first :no:
Yeah it definitely looked more interesting from the spec :sad: Firstorder DEs boggle me, I can do second order fine but not first :no:

Really? They're usually straight forward you just need to practice recognizing reverse product rule, but it might be different for AQA.
Really? They're usually straight forward you just need to practice recognizing reverse product rule, but it might be different for AQA.

Nah I'm on Edexcel for Further, and I suppose I just haven't had enough practice yet, I'll get better I'm sure :yep:

Quick Reply