The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Mathematics: Further Pure FP2 6668 01 - 06 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Protostar
Thanks, I'll see how I get on and then see :smile: And yeah, I did FP1 along with D1 and D2 last year, then this year I'm doing FP2, M2 and S2. How about you?

I'm doing the same modules as you! :biggrin: Personally I find FP2 the hardest, and S2 the easiest. M2 is pretty hard...not as much as FP2 imo
Am I the only one who finds M1 harder than Fp2 and fp3? Mechanics just doesn't click like pure :frown:
Original post by kn0x
I'm doing the same modules as you! :biggrin: Personally I find FP2 the hardest, and S2 the easiest. M2 is pretty hard...not as much as FP2 imo

Another twin :five: and I completely agree, FP2 is madness, I really love M2 but it is still harder than S2 just because it’s mechanics vs stats really :dontknow:
Reply 23
I find FP2 really easy but the boundaries last year were really high so I'm expecting a difficult paper this year.
hi can someone explain question 40b review exercise 1 in the fp2 book
Original post by Radioactivedecay
I'm doing the exact same modules! How you feeling about M2 centres of mass and hypo testting is S2? Those are the roughest bits in my opinion.

dong further maths in a year so im scared as hell... fp2 and s3 are going to be intense. Any advice for top ums in those? Solomon fp2 papers dont correlate to the current spec much so are there any other resources that are good for exam practise that will be a bit of a challege ?
Original post by Angels1234
dong further maths in a year so im scared as hell... fp2 and s3 are going to be intense. Any advice for top ums in those? Solomon fp2 papers dont correlate to the current spec much so are there any other resources that are good for exam practise that will be a bit of a challege ?

I recommend doing the crashmaths practice papers and the Oxford prep quesions to challenge yourself, also, the review and mixed exercises in the books have some tough questions
I recommend doing the crashmaths practice papers and the Oxford prep quesions to challenge yourself, also, the review and mixed exercises in the books have some tough questions

Thanks a lot . :smile:
Original post by Angels1234

Ask your teacher to download some stuff from the Edexcel Maths Emporium. In the "Practice Papers and Questions" folder there are collections of questions from the old spec that are appropriate to the current FP2 and FP3.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Ask your teacher to download some stuff from the Edexcel Maths Emporium. In the "Practice Papers and Questions" folder there are collections of questions from the old spec that are appropriate to the current FP2 and FP3.

i wish i could, im studying from home though ,im not at school and so i do not have access to this :frown:
Reply 30
I sat this exam last year. I kid you not, I arrived 30 mins late, finished in 45 minutes and got 100 UMS. This was not because I am smart, this was just the easiest FP2 they had ever given. It will probably be another easy paper since this is the last
Original post by thekidwhogames
Am I the only one who finds M1 harder than Fp2 and fp3? Mechanics just doesn't click like pure :frown:

In what world is M1 harder FP3?? You have kinematics versus hyberpolic functions and moments vs vectors. the hardest thing people find about mechanics and any new applied module is the completely new type pf questions, but after a while doing questions, you become accustomed to them and see repeating patterns cuz there's only so much they can ask of you in mechanics.
In what world is M1 harder FP3?? You have kinematics versus hyberpolic functions and moments vs vectors. the hardest thing people find about mechanics and any new applied module is the completely new type pf questions, but after a while doing questions, you become accustomed to them and see repeating patterns cuz there's only so much they can ask of you in mechanics.

I found M1 to take a lot longer to learn than FP2 and FP3 since for them they're a bit more logical and it's stuff we're accustom (algebra, calculus, etc.) but mechanics was completely different (compared to GCSE Physics).
Original post by thekidwhogames
I found M1 to take a lot longer to learn than FP2 and FP3 since for them they're a bit more logical and it's stuff we're accustom (algebra, calculus, etc.) but mechanics was completely different (compared to GCSE Physics).

M1 is way easier imo.
Reply 34
If anyone has suggestions for hard polar coordinate questions or transformations please let me know!

IE

June2012 q3

much appreciated!
I've revised up to and including Chapter 3 so far and I'm still so clueless lol oh dear
Original post by MathQS
I sat this exam last year. I kid you not, I arrived 30 mins late, finished in 45 minutes and got 100 UMS. This was not because I am smart, this was just the easiest FP2 they had ever given. It will probably be another easy paper since this is the last

I also sat this exam last year, and thought it was the best maths exam I'd ever done! I was so confident sitting in there, had more time than usual to check my answers (although I didn't finish it as quickly as you did!), and wasn't overly surprised at the grade boundaries - although this was the first time I'd ever seen an A being 70/75. In my opinion, even C3 was harder than FP2 last year...
What is the principle of transformation really? is it essentially transform a group of points from one plane to another plane using some function? (e.g w=f(z)) somehow i don't really understand what the purpose the transformation really is..
FP2 Revision group chat! chat.whatsapp.com/3jKRM2twqx5LYUdZ04CVso
Is there any way to check on your calculator if you have done a 1st or 2nd ODE right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending