Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Firstly, I want to know whether a bad cough in the morning, and coughing to clear your throat count as a persistent cough? If that is a persistent cough, then is it a cause for concern if it doesn't go away?
    I've always thought that coughing that doesn't go away is a bad thing, but now I'm not sure whether I've been overreacting to my Dad's coughing. I've spoken to him twice before about coughing, once a few months ago and the second time today. Both times he said "I don't cough" and that he had a "stress cough". Today when I asked whether it would be a good idea to see his doctor, he also said "well my doctor wouldn't do anything" or something along those lines. I'm not sure whether I'm thinking too much about it, or whether I'm justified in worrying about his coughing.
    I think men are more likely to die from cancer because of not going to the doctor early enough, because *I think* men are more disagreeable and won't go unless they themselves actually want to go. Therefore many men don't go until it's too late. My Dad has been stubborn with many other issues and I believe that this is just him being stubborn again and not wanting to acknowledge that he might not be right in thinking it's just a stress cough. My father's dad died of lung cancer, so it panics me a bit to think that he's taking what I believed to be a persistent cough, so lightly, and not thinking that his dad died from an illness relating to the respiratory system.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Firstly, I want to know whether a bad cough in the morning, and coughing to clear your throat count as a persistent cough? If that is a persistent cough, then is it a cause for concern if it doesn't go away?
    I've always thought that coughing that doesn't go away is a bad thing, but now I'm not sure whether I've been overreacting to my Dad's coughing. I've spoken to him twice before about coughing, once a few months ago and the second time today. Both times he said "I don't cough" and that he had a "stress cough". Today when I asked whether it would be a good idea to see his doctor, he also said "well my doctor wouldn't do anything" or something along those lines. I'm not sure whether I'm thinking too much about it, or whether I'm justified in worrying about his coughing.
    I think men are more likely to die from cancer because of not going to the doctor early enough, because *I think* men are more disagreeable and won't go unless they themselves actually want to go. Therefore many men don't go until it's too late. My Dad has been stubborn with many other issues and I believe that this is just him being stubborn again and not wanting to acknowledge that he might not be right in thinking it's just a stress cough. My father's dad died of lung cancer, so it panics me a bit to think that he's taking what I believed to be a persistent cough, so lightly, and not thinking that his dad died from an illness relating to the respiratory system.
    It's understandable that you're worried, and there's a chance he's putting it off because he's worried too because of what happened to his dad. He might just be stubborn and not worried though Perhaps sit him down when he isn't bus or particularly stressed about anything and basically just tell him what you told us. Explain that you're a bit worried about him and his apparent stubbornness, that you're worried because of this and your family history, and it'd make you feel a lot better if he just saw someone about it because you care about him and want him to feel better

ReputationRep:
    Coughing to clear your throat as long as it;'s only every now and then is not classed as a persistant cough - neither is coughing if it only happens in the morning, if it carries on throughout the day everyday then it is indeed classed as persistant. If your dad is only coughing mainly when he wakes up (in the morning) then it's more than likely just a bit of rubbish that has settled on his chest during his sleep not uncommon in slightly older people especially when it's cold outside. Having said that with the history of lungcancer in the family it most definately would be worth a talk with his doctor if only for reassurance.

Is he a smoker? Long term smokers have coughs in the morning. Even stomach problems can cause this (acid reflux). A visit to a physician would be a good idea. Perhaps you could convince him that coughing doesn't equal lung cancer, there are plenty of other possible reasons. Even if it is stress related he could visit a physician to see what can be done about it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.