The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Mathematics: Mechanics M2 6678 01 - 15 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prioto_
Guys, for the collision question in m2 I got the correct answers. However when getting the two equations I hinted to them that you basically need to solve simultaneously but tbh I just used my Casio grey calculator to solve the simultaneous equation. I still wrote down stuff like add equation 1 and 2 and solve, like I knew what I was doing but laziness struck and instead of showing the full simultaneous equation working out I just barely wrote anything after saying add equation 1 and 2 and wrote down my answers for both velocities which were correct answers. So the big question is, do I get all 7 marks coz I knew what to do even tho I skipped a tiny bit of the method by relying on my calculator or do I miss out on marks coz of it? I mean after all I wrote down the full method to get each equation and I just got lazy doing the full working out for the simultaneous equation part. Very frustrating tbh

If you got the right answer, and if you wrote correct expressions for CLM and NEL, you should be okay. It’s not advised to use a calculator like this because if you make even one small error you could lose lots of marks due to not showing your method. But I don’t think they penalise you if you got it correct.

EDIT On reflection, you may lose 3 marks because it was a “show that” question and you didn’t show evidence of yourself actually solving the equations simultaneously. For all the examiners can tell, you might not have known how to complete the question and just wrote down their printed answer. It will all come down to how much of the working you skipped.
(edited 5 years ago)
Just having a quick flashback but for the impulse question, I got the first part wrong however I calculated the angle correctly. Considering that I used the working out needed for part a in part b, would I still get method marks for part a?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending