Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am currently studying BTEC IT level 3.
    My GCSE grade is C,B,B,C,D,D,D and MM in level 2 IT.
    I want to go uni and study computer science will my gcse grade affect me getting a place. Also I have passed maths and English with 5 on maths and 5 on English. I am redoing Maths to get a higher grade. I got D on science but I’m thinking on redoing that next year as this year.
    The thing got me worry is that if I redo science I will get the result in like March or in August depending on when I’m taking it. This mean I will apply for uni before I get my result.

THANK YOU

ReputationRep:
    All Russel group uni's will want maths at an A grade equivalent GCSE and at A level.

Although, I have been offered a place to study CompSci at Newcastle AAB grades required, this was the only Russel group uni I found that didn't require the study of maths at A level (I took comp sci, history and economics), but they did want at least a B in maths at GCSE (not familiar with the number equivalent). So as far as the top unis in the country you might be hard pushed, but I went to see Teeside also, they offered me CCD any A levels. I don't imagine that IT will translate quite as well as maths would on an application, however this will depend on the uni.

Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leobarry)
    Hi
    I am currently studying BTEC IT level 3.
    My GCSE grade is C,B,B,C,D,D,D and MM in level 2 IT.
    I want to go uni and study computer science will my gcse grade affect me getting a place. Also I have passed maths and English with 5 on maths and 5 on English. I am redoing Maths to get a higher grade. I got D on science but I’m thinking on redoing that next year as this year.
    The thing got me worry is that if I redo science I will get the result in like March or in August depending on when I’m taking it. This mean I will apply for uni before I get my result.
    I've applied for Computer Science and currently doing BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT. Right now, I think the main thing is to try your best and achieve 5 A* to Cs as most universities will want that. GCSE Maths is very important and most will require a B (or 6) at least. Universities will mostly likely want a DDD minimum for BSc Computer Science, but if you can achieve higher, you will find yourself in a much better position. I'm currently achieving a D*D*D* currently and have applied to Lancaster, Kent, Swansea, Cardiff and UEA.

ReputationRep:
    I finally found another person that is doing BTEC IT Level 3! How you finding it? what units are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _bgall)
    All Russel group uni's will want maths at an A grade y GCSE and at A level.
    Oh for the love of...

NOT ALL RUSSELL GROUP UNIS REQUIRE A-LEVEL MATHS. A THIRD OF THEM DON'T, THERES A BIG STICKY ABOUT IT AT THE TOP OF THIS FORUM.

Can we please stop with the misinformation? I am not picking on you, this just comes up again and again and again. There is a specific sticky to prevent this sort of misinformation. For anyone reading this please take time to inform yourself and read the sticky.

ReputationRep:
    All Russel group uni's will want maths at an A grade equivalent GCSE and at A level.

Although, I have been offered a place to study CompSci at Newcastle AAB grades required, this was the only Russel group uni I found that didn't require the study of maths at A level (I took comp sci, history and economics), but they did want at least a B in maths at GCSE (not familiar with the number equivalent). So as far as the top unis in the country you might be hard pushed, but I went to see Teeside also, they offered me CCD any A levels. I don't imagine that IT will translate quite as well as maths would on an application, however this will depend on the uni.

Hope this helped.
    Thank you
    Just thinking would my gcse affect me when applying to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    Oh for the love of...

NOT ALL RUSSELL GROUP UNIS REQUIRE A-LEVEL MATHS. A THIRD OF THEM DON'T, THERES A BIG STICKY ABOUT IT AT THE TOP OF THIS FORUM.

Can we please stop with the misinformation? I am not picking on you, this just comes up again and again and again. There is a specific sticky to prevent this sort of misinformation. For anyone reading this please take time to inform yourself and read the sticky.
    Sorry, I shouldn't have generalised and included all the universities in that statement.

However, in my experience (applying for G400 and G401), which is what I was sharing, my choices were limited by my decision not to take maths, fact. Not ruled out, but greatly limited. Newcastle as mentioned required only a GCSE grade B. Sheffield offered me a foundation year, which is essentially saying that I need to pay to study A level maths for my first year. And the other Russel groups that don't, Liverpool, Cardiff etc. expect ONE of: Maths, Comp Sci, Physics, Further Maths to study their course, not so much "A THIRD OF THEM DON'T" more some offer alternatives that include maths.

It is not misinformation as it is undeniable that Maths is both valued and in most cases required on a UCAS app to study Comp Sci at a high level.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing pretty excellent. Currently doing Unit 14, 35 and 26 (Maths). Only Unit 23 left to do. What about u? And where are u looking to study?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I shouldn't have generalised and included all the universities in that statement.

However, in my experience (applying for G400 and G401), which is what I was sharing, my choices were limited by my decision not to take maths, fact. Not ruled out, but greatly limited. Newcastle as mentioned required only a GCSE grade B. Sheffield offered me a foundation year, which is essentially saying that I need to pay to study A level maths for my first year. And the other Russel groups that don't, Liverpool, Cardiff etc. expect ONE of: Maths, Comp Sci, Physics, Further Maths to study their course, not so much "A THIRD OF THEM DON'T" more some offer alternatives that include maths.

It is not misinformation as it is undeniable that Maths is both valued and in most cases required on a UCAS app to study Comp Sci at a high level.
    Cardiff accepts BTEC if you have GCSE Maths at B or better. I'd know because that's how I got in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.