Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I recently just did my GCSE English Language mock exam and got a grade 5. I was really disappointed with my result despite the many hours of revision I had put into preparation for the exam.

I would like to get at least a 7 but I have no idea how to PROPERLY revise English Language. If you have any tips, could you please tell me some?

Thanksss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilhm)
    Hi guys,

I recently just did my GCSE English Language mock exam and got a grade 5. I was really disappointed with my result despite the many hours of revision I had put into preparation for the exam.

I would like to get at least a 7 but I have no idea how to PROPERLY revise English Language. If you have any tips, could you please tell me some?

Thanksss
    Make flashcards on what you can analyse in the unseen text
    E.g. Form, language and structure.
    Understand literary devices which you can talk about when analysing the piece of writing and you can try to include these in the creative writing.
    Break them down and understand what meanings you can take out of them. For example, you could say the writer uses a variety of sentence structures; short sentences are used to build suspense and compound-complex sentences are to provide the reader with detail about the character, in order to create sympathy for the problems that are going to occur. This is use of foreshadowing.

Would also suggest practising creative writing, I know it may be really boring but even attempting to write a paragraph will be helpful. Also, think about concise plots when thinking about a story (if you will be writing one).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2018

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.