Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Masters of research term dates watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm just coming to the end of my bachelors and embarking on a full time Mres in september. I'm just wondering, as the course runs a full 12 months rather than the traditional academic year of 9months. What are the terms like when studying an Mres. Do you get breaks and holidays etc or are you expected to be in the lab for the full 12 months?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

During a full time Mres, do you get breaks in-between semesters or are you expected to be in the lab everyday for the entire 12 months?

ReputationRep:
    Usually an MRes consists of taught modules as well as the dissertation (lab). Difference between an MSc and MRes is that you spend a couple more months in the lab on an MRes. Look at the universities you are interested in and read the course outline - usually states how many credits from taught modules you need to do, as well as the lab work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Osw_93)
    Usually an MRes consists of taught modules as well as the dissertation (lab). Difference between an MSc and MRes is that you spend a couple more months in the lab on an MRes. Look at the universities you are interested in and read the course outline - usually states how many credits from taught modules you need to do, as well as the lab work
    Yeh I understand that. They taught modules are delivered in the firs semester followed by 35 weeks of research. I’m just curious as to wether i’ll get breaks such as Easter as you do with an undergraduate degree or will I be expected to work right through until September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake Kaine)
    Yeh I understand that. They taught modules are delivered in the firs semester followed by 35 weeks of research. I’m just curious as to wether i’ll get breaks such as Easter as you do with an undergraduate degree or will I be expected to work right through until September?
    It'll vary by university.

In my case I had 2 weeks at Christmas and between now and the end of August I am allocated 10 days annual leave which need to be agreed by my project supervisor. So, I don't have a standard term compared to my flatmates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilGem)
    It'll vary by university.

In my case I had 2 weeks at Christmas and between now and the end of August I am allocated 10 days annual leave which need to be agreed by my project supervisor. So, I don't have a standard term compared to my flatmates
    Ah ha! That’s exacy the answer I was looking for, thank you!
    I was thinking it might work on a more annual leave basis.

Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Ah ha! That’s exacy the answer I was looking for, thank you!
    I was thinking it might work on a more annual leave basis.

Thank you so much
    no worries best of luck with your masters!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you 😊 I’m sure I’ll need it lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I guess that is dependent on your university/supervisor and whether you want to stay on and do a PhD so eager to make a good impression. I have a friend at Nottingham University doing an MRes and her professor expected her back in the lab on the 28th December after christmas with no new year break as he and other clinicians were working then too. It will also be completely dependent on the research project you have chosen e.g. tissue cultures - can that specific cell line be left for 2 weeks?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm just coming to the end of my bachelors and embarking on a full time Mres in september. I'm just wondering, as the course runs a full 12 months rather than the traditional academic year of 9months. What are the terms like when studying an Mres. Do you get breaks and holidays etc or are you expected to be in the lab for the full 12 months?
    You'll get time off for Christmas and bank holidays but apart from that yes it is a full time intense course.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    di
    Hi Jake,

You coul normally find this information on the university's website.

I don't know with which university you are doing Mres. However, here is the example of the University of Reading: http://www.reading.ac.uk/about.aspx If you scroll down you will see this information under the topic "term dates". This will give you an idea where the terms break and holiday info etc.

I hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your study!

Prau
    PG rep.
    3rd year PhD student, Agricultural and Food Economics.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by UniofReadingPG)
    di

Hi Jake,

You coul normally find this information on the university's website.

I don't know with which university you are doing Mres. However, here is the example of the University of Reading: http://www.reading.ac.uk/about.aspx If you scroll down you will see this information under the topic "term dates". This will give you an idea where the terms break and holiday info etc.

I hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your study!

Prau
    PG rep.
    3rd year PhD student, Agricultural and Food Economics.
    Aren't the term dates for undergrads? I don't think research students follow the same timetable.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guy. I have the answer I’m looking for now. For some reason I’ve created two identical post. New to the student room site. Apologies

As I suspected there are no breaks after Christmas.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Aren't the term dates for undergrads? I don't think research students follow the same timetable.
    Hi

Thank you for your good question. As I mentioned, I gave an example.

Basically, the terms are quite similar. Autumn term and Spring term are all the same between UG and PG here with those winter break and Easter break. The summer term and the rest until September are for exam and dissertation etc. for PG.

Prau
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hi

Thank you for your good question.

Basically, the terms are quite the similar. Autumn term and Spring term are all the same between UG and PG here with those winter break and Easter break. The summer term and the rest until September are for exam and dissertation etc.

Prau
    Just to clarify, this may be true for your uni but not necessarily for all. All my research students have worked through the undergrad Easter breaks (except bank holidays) and yes over the summer till Sept.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Just to clarify, this may be true for your uni but not necessarily for all. All my research students have worked through the undergrad Easter breaks (except bank holidays) and yes over the summer till Sept.
    Hi,

Yes, that's correct it's an example. My friends and I worked during all Christmas break and Easter break as well.

The info about holiday and term break have always been useful for me and other friends because that's when we know some buildings/ library might be closed at a different time than the "term time". University's staff might not be there because of holiday etc.

Prau
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I

Hi,

Yes, that's correct it's an example. My friends and I worked during all Christmas break and Easter break as well.

The info about holiday and term break has always been useful for me and other friends because that's when we know some buildings/ library might be closed at a different time than the "term time". University's staff might not be there because of holiday etc.

Prau
    Ah ok. Our buildings are accessible 24/7 and all year around for research staff and students with special permission

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.