The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Mathematics: Further Pure FP3 6669 01 - 25 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Good luck everyone
hoping we get the june 2016 paper again :bawling:
how was the exam guys??
How was the IAL exam?
Original post by kunalkishanmehta
how was the exam guys??
How was the IAL exam?

Okayish I reckon, easier than the 2017 one tho. The transformation q has a weird answer
YIKES

At least dropped 6 marks FML
That was tricky
Original post by damnshescreepy
That was tricky

Normal or iAl
How many marks for 86 ums you recon?
I did all except 6c and 7c onwards. How did you get c^2?
Before I answer please confirm we are not talking about the normal paper not iAl.

You use the fact the discriminant condition, it tangential, there is only one real root to the quadratic this question kinda appeared in the 2009 paper
How did people find the paper
Reply 91
Original post by Bulbasaur10
Yep. Does anyone know if the order matters when finding an orthogonal matrix with column vectors equal to the normalised eigenvectors of the matrix you want to diagonalise?
In the mark schemes it goes on and on about being consistent whatever that means and I usually just randomly put the columns in. I do the same for the actual diagonalised matrix when I put in the eigenvalues. Does it matter?

Hi, I know this is late and FP3 has just finished, with no diagonalisation question in the paper, but just in case you're still curious, any order of normalised eigenvectors as columns for matrix P is valid. This is because all normalised eigenvectors are mutually orthogonal, i.e if you dot product any two N.E.V's, it will =0. This condition alone means matrix P with columns of N.E.V's is orthogonal. Also, PP^T=I. You just have to be careful when constructing the diagonal matrix D, and make sure the eigenvalues appear in the leading diagonal of D in the SAME order as the N.E.V's in your orthogonal matrix P. Hope this helps.
That was okay, the s2 fp3 double feature tired me out but I think I did well enough in both. The only thing I think I messed up was some of the vectors question, I got kind of weird numbers but my method was right so I probably only dropped a couple there.
I wasted a lot of time on the first 3 questions for some reason but I made it up in the end.
It was a horrible paper. I ended skipping maybe ~30 marks worth of questions because I didn't understand what they wanted from me. Past papers were nothing like this. Was hoping for A* in further maths, but ill be lucky to get a B now.
Reply 94
i did so horrible in this exam and feeling anxious that I couldnt go to university because of this I have done most of the past paper this one is the hardest ever
Original post by Dancin9Donuts
It was a horrible paper. I ended skipping maybe ~30 marks worth of questions because I didn't understand what they wanted from me. Past papers were nothing like this. Was hoping for A* in further maths, but ill be lucky to get a B now.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one - my firm asked for an a* in FM and my insurance asked for A but because of how bad FP3 went I'm not going to get into either of them
Are people talking about IAL or The normal one please?
Original post by iamnotanxious
Are people talking about IAL or The normal one please?

I assume the UK one
For the people who took IAL F3, could you confirm what was the last question? If it was question 8 or there were question 9? I couldn't check it
Okay and the general consensus is people didn’t like it or...? (Only two people sat it in my school, he didn’t like but that’s one opinion lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending