Turn on thread page Beta

Help with degree classification, please! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I had a bit of a crap year last year and had to delay some of my exams, some of which I didn't pass. It's a bit of a sore point for me as I was on to a 1st or at least a 2:1.

Basically, I am taking 2 exams capped at 40% and one which isn't capped and its my first attempt, I am trying to work out degree classification but I am struggling.

My second year was worth 25% in which I got 64.56% (180 credits) and up to now for my final year 75% I have got 42.17% (60 credits).

Considering that I can only get 40% out of the 2/3 exams, what would I need to achieve from the 3rd exam (out of 100%) to at least try and achieve a 2:2 as my final degree classification.

Thanks for any help thank anybody can give me, I am really desperate here to try and claw back anything I can.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PettyPrincess)
    Hi everyone,

I had a bit of a crap year last year and had to delay some of my exams, some of which I didn't pass. It's a bit of a sore point for me as I was on to a 1st or at least a 2:1.

Basically, I am taking 2 exams capped at 40% and one which isn't capped and its my first attempt, I am trying to work out degree classification but I am struggling.

My second year was worth 25% in which I got 64.56% (180 credits) and up to now for my final year 75% I have got 42.17% (60 credits).

Considering that I can only get 40% out of the 2/3 exams, what would I need to achieve from the 3rd exam (out of 100%) to at least try and achieve a 2:2 as my final degree classification.

Thanks for any help thank anybody can give me, I am really desperate here to try and claw back anything I can.
    Cant follow this exactly.

Year 1 How many credits.
    Year 2 how many credits?
    Year 3 How many credits.

Its normally 3 years at 120 credits.

Youve already mentioned the weighting of 25/75.

You have 180 credits in year 2, so how many for year 3?
    Need more clarity on how many modules and the scores for year 3.

If things have fallen apart in year 3, especially of mental health, then have you thought of redoing the year due to mh reasons? Doctors letter and you are in business? No idea why its falling apart for you, but things seem to have imploded. I would be looking to save my degree rather than push through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Cant follow this exactly.

Year 1 How many credits.
    Year 2 how many credits?
    Year 3 How many credits.

Its normally 3 years at 120 credits.

Youve already mentioned the weighting of 25/75.

You have 180 credits in year 2, so how many for year 3?
    Need more clarity on how many modules and the scores for year 3.

If things have fallen apart in year 3, especially of mental health, then have you thought of redoing the year due to mh reasons? Doctors letter and you are in business? No idea why its falling apart for you, but things seem to have imploded. I would be looking to save my degree rather than push through.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I hope you can help or work it out for me because I have no idea -

Year 1 - 120 credits
    Year 2- 180 (I got extra credits through a placement)
    Year 3 - it will be 120 credits

ReputationRep:
    I am similar situation i was on for a 2:1 but flunked last semester. It’s too complicated to find an exact figure so I’m just gonna do my best while playing it tactically. Am not gonna play the mh card as the only way around it is through
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PettyPrincess)
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I hope you can help or work it out for me because I have no idea -

Year 1 - 120 credits
    Year 2- 180 (I got extra credits through a placement)
    Year 3 - it will be 120 credits
    My maths is failing me....

Can you put it on the maths forum?

The second year counting for so little hurts you.
    The third year counting for so much hurts you
    As you have 42.17 for 3/6
    and 40 for 2/6 means the last module has to make up the difference.
    I get 61.5% to get to a 2:2. I think its just about impossible to get a 2:1 because you would have to make up the difference between 5 modules in their 40s to 60%.

Please put it on maths forum I may well be wrong.
    I wouldnt hesitate to use MH if I had that choice.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.