Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ok so i'm almost at this point where i firm/insurance and i have considered most factors important to me already.

This final factor relates to communication experience i've had with certain unis - email replies, questions replies, just basically signs of being very approachable. I'm not sure if it's a good thing to go of off?

E.G Cardiff has never replied to my simple question email 2 months ago, i sent another question a few weeks back to many of my choices: bristol, soton, swansea, cardiff. All but cardiff replied within 1/2 days, cardiff has yet to reply at all. I know cardiff is a big uni but so are bristol and soton. im not sure whether this delay is cos theyre busy or just a bit unorganised and it does give me a neg. impression of them. It's obviously a dealbreaker at this point because other unis seem to reach out to my queries well, but im unsure if they are really busy.

ReputationRep:
    Just bear in mind the communications is usually handled by one small department, marketing. Also the strikes really slow things down. I wouldn't say its representative of the uni as a whole.

Btw is that you in your avatar?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Just bear in mind the communications is usually handled by one small department, marketing. Also the strikes really slow things down. I wouldn't say its representative of the uni as a whole.

hmmm, strikes in a lot of unis or just cardiff?cos its looking like they gone on hols since december, not even an automated email that unis send out so often sighhh

btw its not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    hmmm, strikes in a lot of unis or just cardiff?cos its looking like they gone on hols since december, not even an automated email that unis send out so often sighhh

btw its not
    Pretty much every university is striking for the next 2 weeks. You won't hear much until then. If I remember correctly you have until May to make your decision. Go to the different universities you've applied to, have a look around, speak to people there. Think about the cities, would you want to live there for the next 3-4 years? Whats the nightlife like? Rental prices? Religious communities? Etc etc
    Also look at some statistics on how many get a 2.1, teaching rankings (bronze, silver, gold - if its bronze avoid. poor teaching is the absolute worst, trust me), starting salaries and student satisfaction then make your decision.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Pretty much every university is striking for the next 2 weeks. You won't hear much until then. If I remember correctly you have until May to make your decision. Go to the different universities you've applied to, have a look around, speak to people there. Think about the cities, would you want to live there for the next 3-4 years? Whats the nightlife like? Rental prices? Religious communities? Etc etc
    Also look at some statistics on how many get a 2.1, teaching rankings (bronze, silver, gold - if its bronze avoid. poor teaching is the absolute worst, trust me), starting salaries and student satisfaction then make your decision.
    thanks, i have considered all of those factors already and been to most, and since they're similar imo, i've based it off correspondence cos i read that it's important to someone on here before so i thought i would if it makes sense to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    thanks, i have considered all of those factors already and been to most, and since they're similar imo, i've based it off correspondence cos i read that it's important to someone on here before so i thought i would if it makes sense to
    The thing is the university might have good email communications but that doesn't mean the whole university will. Edinburgh is pretty prompt at responding to emails but I've had loads of socially awkward/incompetent professors over the past 2 years. Then again that might be expected for a subject like computer science.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The thing is the university might have good email communications but that doesn't mean the whole university will. Edinburgh is pretty prompt at responding to emails but I've had loads of socially awkward/incompetent professors over the past 2 years. Then again that might be expected for a subject like computer science.
    lmaooo i thought some of the lecturers were a bit timid on the visit day, i dont really want to uno be around people who can't clarify or be approachable cos im a bit dim sometimes btw is that you in your pic
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Marketing normally wouldn’t handle admissions emails. Admissions would. And in a university like Cardiff neither admissions or marketing would be a small team.

Administrative staff aren’t allowed to be in the union that is striking. Only academic staff.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.