Turn on thread page Beta

Running out of options? watch

Announcements

Hi,

I'm getting worried that I'm beyond help. I'm on my 5th type of antidepressants and I've just finished my CBT because it wasn't having any affect on me. I've had severe depression for years, I think it's a part of my personality and who I am. I just don't know what's next. I asked my CBT person and they were just like "well, it is difficult to find other methods of help other than CBT because it's the most used in the NHS" and he just went on about how maybe I'll be okay (which I think even he didn't believe. I'm just left wondering, what happens to the people that CBT doesn't work for? They haven't given me a lot of hope and I'm just really worried there's nothing left for me. Is there anything I could ask my doctor, for a referral to something? I just don't have a clue what the other options are because nobody's telling me. I would really appreciate if anyone knew what other methods are and how to actually do them. If my doctor says the same as my CBT person I just don't know what to do :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I'm getting worried that I'm beyond help. I'm on my 5th type of antidepressants and I've just finished my CBT because it wasn't having any affect on me. I've had severe depression for years, I think it's a part of my personality and who I am. I just don't know what's next. I asked my CBT person and they were just like "well, it is difficult to find other methods of help other than CBT because it's the most used in the NHS" and he just went on about how maybe I'll be okay (which I think even he didn't believe. I'm just left wondering, what happens to the people that CBT doesn't work for? They haven't given me a lot of hope and I'm just really worried there's nothing left for me. Is there anything I could ask my doctor, for a referral to something? I just don't have a clue what the other options are because nobody's telling me. I would really appreciate if anyone knew what other methods are and how to actually do them. If my doctor says the same as my CBT person I just don't know what to do :/
    I'm not sure of what's available on the NHS, but if that seems to be ruining dry you could look into private. Unfortunately that isn't an option for everybody, but if you do have the means to go private I would consider it. Because they aren't as restricted as the NHS you can access more things and it can be really helpful.
    Past that I would suggest making an appointment with your GP (probably a double so you have more time) and taking through all your options. Hopefully they with know what's next like a different type of therapy. Have you been to see a psych yet? If not I would suggest requesting that cos they should have a good idea of options.

Sorry I can't help more. Best wishes.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Kindred)
    I'm not sure of what's available on the NHS, but if that seems to be ruining dry you could look into private. Unfortunately that isn't an option for everybody, but if you do have the means to go private I would consider it. Because they aren't as restricted as the NHS you can access more things and it can be really helpful.
    Past that I would suggest making an appointment with your GP (probably a double so you have more time) and taking through all your options. Hopefully they with know what's next like a different type of therapy. Have you been to see a psych yet? If not I would suggest requesting that cos they should have a good idea of options.

Sorry I can't help more. Best wishes.
    You've been very helpful, thank you. No I've never been referred to a psych or anything, I've never had an actual assessment, how would I ask for that? My GP mentioned a few weeks ago about an adult mental health team? Though I'm not really sure what that is and what they do. I've also been suggested to apply for PIP but I just feel like I don't deserve it. I know money would help with a lot obviously but I don't understand how not showering for weeks and not eating unless someone tells me to, gives you an entitlement to money? Money wouldn't necessarily help these, it would just make me worry less about not having money so I just don't know. If I got PIP though I could use it towards private treatment which I can see might help so I'm not sure.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You've been very helpful, thank you. No I've never been referred to a psych or anything, I've never had an actual assessment, how would I ask for that? My GP mentioned a few weeks ago about an adult mental health team? Though I'm not really sure what that is and what they do. I've also been suggested to apply for PIP but I just feel like I don't deserve it. I know money would help with a lot obviously but I don't understand how not showering for weeks and not eating unless someone tells me to, gives you an entitlement to money? Money wouldn't necessarily help these, it would just make me worry less about not having money so I just don't know. If I got PIP though I could use it towards private treatment which I can see might help so I'm not sure.
    I think taking to your GP about setting the adult mental health team would be a good idea. I don't know much about it myself, but I'm sure you can find some info online to give you a bit of an idea what to expect. I think there may have been some threads on here about it recently even.
    The idea behind PIP is that people who have difficulties with everyday things like showering or whatever else will likely have difficulty with earning money or have extra expenses to deal with too. The money is to help with that.
    If you don't think you need it that's fine, but it's something to consider. I belive there are advice services you can talk to about it so maybe that would be worth looking into.

But first of all have that talk with your GP. For now you can just work on that so you don't have too much to think about. That can get pretty confusing and stressful.
    If you haven't seen the mental health team or a psych or anything yet I'd try that before thinking of private cos... well money. Unless you have cash coming out your ears it's worth looking at the free stuff first.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.