Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quickmagma)
    I'm going to wade in on this. I would say go to college they do treat you like adults it's what I did. I also did a BTEC and have 5 offers from Cardiff, Leicester, Exter, Portsmouth and Plymouth to do geology/geophysics. Don't listen to the prat who thinks that A-levels are the only thing that defines life. If you hate your environment you are not going to do well. Since meeting the guys at Leicester they gave me a safety net offer dropping the grade requirements. Portsmouth was also unconditional so you can do well with a BTEC.
    Haha lol that's why you got offers from them shite unis with an even worse course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Please ignore the other poster and think carefully about what YOU want to do. Degree aprenticeships can be great and, if you are thinking about Engineering then an RG uni is not necessaarily the best choice.

Talk to someone who knows about different routes to uni.
    Yes it is the best choice go to a top uni( Russell group at a minimum) and you'll be fine. The original poster who wrote the above quote is probably a BTEC student themselves. What you want to do isn't always what will best for your future

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_greddall)
    My bad- I was typing fast. Yes I agree Russell group is a self selected group but the vast majority of good unis are in the group with some exceptions like Lancaster. But in general their the ones you need to attend to say you went to a decent uni. I think many I will not have many fans but a well paid job is more likely if you attend a Russell group university than a bs btec.
    Actually that's not true for Engineering - the newer unis offer degrees which are highly valued by industry. Several of my ex-students have walked into jobs ahead of RG candidates ...

Bath and Loughborough are good unis - not RG.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is the best choice go to a top uni( Russell group at a minimum) and you'll be fine. The original poster who wrote the above quote is probably a BTEC student themselves. What you want to do isn't always what will best for your future
    I'm a teacher - there were only A levels when I was at school.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a teacher - there were only A levels when I was at school.
    that's great. You should be promoting them! In you heart you know that and imperial student will run rings around a BTEC or apprenticeship student. Some non RG graduates will do well but you can't lie, the RG graduates will on average do better than btecs, apprenticeships etc

ReputationRep:
    Haha lol that's why you got offers from them crap unis within even worse course.
    You where praising RG a moment ago and Exeter is 14th. Geology is a very employable subject and can earn you a lot of money in oil and gas. Maybe the next time you get your fuel you should be thankful a geologist had the brain to find it. I can tell you are a bigoted **** by the way you talk. "Within even course" for such a clever cookie, you cannot formulate sentences for jackshit.

ReputationRep:
    that's great. You should be promoting them! In you heart you know that and imperial student will run rings around a BTEC or apprenticeship student. Some non RG graduates will do well but you can't lie, the RG graduates will on average do better than btecs, apprenticeships etc
    Sorry, wrong again, Imperial Engineering loses out to newer unis ...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, wrong again, Imperial Engineering loses out to newer unis ...
    https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...%20Engineering

Yes I know rankings aren't everything but nope, Imperial does not lose. Your fooling yourself

ReputationRep:
    You where praising RG a moment ago and Exeter is 14th. Geology is a very employable subject and can earn you a lot of money in oil and gas. Maybe the next time you get your fuel you should be thankful a geologist had the brain to find it. I can tell you are a bigoted **** by the way you talk. "Within even course" for such a clever cookie, you cannot formulate sentences for jackshit.
    Sorry, like I said I typed these on my phone. Autocorrect doesn't work all the time and besides. Btw I could probably get into geology with my eyes shut. It's a bs course. It's said the minimum you should aim for is Russell group. Ideally you should go to the upper end of RG. Cone back in a few years and post your salary will you. You'll swallow words about geology

ReputationRep:

Yes I jnow rankings aren't everything but nope, Imperial does not lose. Your fooling yourself
    I think you meant 'you're' not 'your'

I'm not tlaking about rankings - I'm talking about students getting into top jobs after graduation. I have a number of examples of Engineering grads from e.g. Loughborough, Brookes, getting jobs in industry ahead of Imperial and Oxbridge candidates.

ReputationRep:
    look at degree apprenticeships, there are many engineering ones now

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, like I said I typed these on my phone. Autocorrect doesn't work all the time and besides. Btw I could probably get into geology with my eyes shut. It's a bs course. It's said the minimum you should aim for is Russell group. Ideally you should go to the upper end of RG. Cone back in a few years and post your salary will you. You'll swallow words about geology
    You really have some sort of god complex going on don't you I would talk to your GP as you may actually have a psychological problem. Let me ask you have you got any friends because I'm really struggling to imagine you do. Post how many friends you have in 20 years time if you keep up that attitude of elitism. You will get nowhere with that attitude thinking everyone is below you.

ReputationRep:
    I think you meant 'you're' not 'your'

I'm not tlaking about rankings - I'm talking about students getting into top jobs after graduation. I have a number of examples of Engineering grads from e.g. Loughborough, Brookes, getting jobs in industry ahead of Imperial and Oxbridge candidates.
    Please don't point out my grammar mistake when you spell talking as tlaking. Either way I dint really care about grammar. Yes like I've said beforehand will have students at lower tier universities getting further ahead then RG or even oxbridge graduates. But overall this is not true. You are showing a few, rare examples of successful students but you don't talk about the vast majority that attend lower tier unis and DON'T beat oxbridge or imperial graduates

ReputationRep:
    You really have some sort of god complex going on don't you I would talk to your GP as you may actually have a psychological problem. Let me ask you have you got any friends because I'm really struggling to imagine you do. Post how many friends you have in 20 years time if you keep up that attitude of elitism. You will get nowhere with that attitude thinking everyone is below you.
    Using personal insults about someones mental health and friendships is an interesting way to try and win an argument about graduate prospects, to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    I've got plenty if friends I assure you. And nope I have no psychological problems. People aren't the same online as they are in person. I would never be this rude in person but I think the btec liars have to be silenced

ReputationRep:
    Please don't point out my grammar mistake when you spell talking as tlaking. Either way I dint really care about grammar. Yes like I've said beforehand will have students at lower tier universities getting further ahead then RG or even oxbridge graduates. But overall this is not true. You are showing a few, rare examples of successful students but you don't talk about the vast majority that attend lower tier unis and DON'T beat oxbridge or imperial graduates
    My mistake was clearly a typo not a grammatical error. You've been on TSR for five minutes and are just insulting everyone - really helpful.

I have NO examples of grads from newer unis not doing well - so of course I can't mention something that doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrevelance)
    look at degree apprenticeships, there are many engineering ones now
    Agreed. They look fairly decent to be honest. Especially those that Rolls-Royce offer

ReputationRep:
    My mistake was clearly a typo not a grammatical error. You've been on TSR for five minutes and are just insulting everyone - really helpful.

I have NO examples of grads from newer unis not doing well - so of course I can't mention something that doesn't exist.
    how are you a teacher? I AM NOT ON ABOUT THEM DOING WELL. I'm talking about them doing well relative to top RG grads like those from imperial oxbridge ucl etc also btw, I firmly belive that those with such delusional views should be told the truth hence me being somewhat rude and to the point

ReputationRep:
    You going to silence me? I can give you proof if that what you want.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.