Turn on thread page Beta

watch matilda get four A*s or die trying watch

ReputationRep:
    okay so i may be a little late but since i've been super unmotivated recently i thought i'd try a study blog as i work toward my AS exams!

about me:
    i'm matilda, I'm 17 and I'm in year 12! i work part time at mcdonalds, and i have a scar from walking into a bench. (i'm sure you're wondering now if four A*s is an achievable goal for me, stay tuned kids, you may yet prove me delusional)

gcse results:
    maths- 9
    english lit- 9
    english lang- 8
    physics- A*
    chemistry- A*
    biology- A*
    computing- A*
    history- A
    geography- A*
    spanish- A*
    religious studies- A*

what i take now and target grades from teachers:
    further maths- A
    maths- A*
    physics- A
    english lit- A*

personal target: A* in every subject

last mock results:
    further maths- C (like little to no marks lmao)
    maths- A* (i can't remember my score for now but i'll check later!)
    physics- A* (60/75)
    english lit- A* (23/25 keats, 24/25 othello)

so basically i gotta try super hard this year and next, yet right now i'm sat watching coronation street like a fool. hopefully, through updating this blog daily i'll be able to motivate myself to actually revise and then i'll be able to do the best i can!

for now i'm focusing on further maths revision, what are you guys focusing on?

ReputationRep:
    Really like your title, and you have a such a nice name. Some fantastic grades too!

I'm focusing on an essay right now, but need to jot down a plan to do further reading for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    Really like your title, and you have a such a nice name. Some fantastic grades too!

I'm focusing on an essay right now, but need to jot down a plan to do further reading for it
    thank you! what subject is your essay for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by circleofsighs)
    thank you! what subject is your essay for?
    Its for History, but I'm doing a degree Its on the topic of Latin American economic history.

ReputationRep:
    Its for History, but I'm doing a degree Its on the topic of Latin American economic history.
    woah, that's pretty niche! is it interesting to study?

ReputationRep:
    woah, that's pretty niche! is it interesting to study?
    Yeah, its really interested but the workload is really tough and complex.

How are you getting along with balancing humanities like English with all your STEM subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, its really interested but the workload is really tough and complex.

How are you getting along with balancing humanities like English with all your STEM subjects?
    i'm finding english a lot more intuitive, so it's the workload in the STEM subjects that is harder to balance! i'm sure that'll change when i start having to memorise quotes for the mocks in june though!

ReputationRep:
    update 8/3/18
    it's snowing VERY heavily outside, so no idea whether i'll be at school! if i'm not, the plan is to finish my further maths revision notes and do all my english lit homework!
    also, i'm super annoyed because my manager took one of my shifts away at work without telling me, how nice

ReputationRep:
    That's cool!(not the manager part)

Btw I enjoy English Literature rn(GCSE) and doing it this year instead of year 11.
    Could you tell me what A LEVEL Literature is like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridwaan ahmad)
    That's cool!(not the manager part)

Btw I enjoy English Literature rn(GCSE) and doing it this year instead of year 11.
    Could you tell me what A LEVEL Literature is like?
    A level literature is just like GCSE but with more books, but you only ever have to memorise three; you get the rest with you in the exam! the only thing that’s different is you have to mention criticism in your analysis, which is pretty easy to learn! i’d really recommend it because it’s super fun and there isn’t much of a learning curve compared to some other subjects!

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE:
    school postponed until 10am, could still close yet!

ReputationRep:
    What's 'criticism'?
    Still sounds fun!
    I hope it's fun books!

ReputationRep:
    A level literature is just like GCSE but with more books, but you only ever have to memorise three; you get the rest with you in the exam! the only thing that’s different is you have to mention criticism in your analysis, which is pretty easy to learn! i’d really recommend it because it’s super fun and there isn’t much of a learning curve compared to some other subjects!
    Can I ask why you want to do 4 subjects? I study at a top London uni ( started September 2017) and I did maths, further maths and economics a levels achieving 3A*s. I also used to do history a level but I dropped it as there was absolutely no need to do it. Hence I ask my question again? Why 4? If you’re struggling in further maths, why not drop it? Yes I understand you want 4 to stand out a bit more but honestly when you start uni, there’s lots of people that have done 5-7 a levels. What’s going to stand you out is your experiences and what you’ve learnt along this journey to success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherlockD)
    Can I ask why you want to do 4 subjects? I study at a top London uni ( started September 2017) and I did maths, further maths and economics a levels achieving 3A*s. I also used to do history a level but I dropped it as there was absolutely no need to do it. Hence I ask my question again? Why 4? If you’re struggling in further maths, why not drop it? Yes I understand you want 4 to stand out a bit more but honestly when you start uni, there’s lots of people that have done 5-7 a levels. What’s going to stand you out is your experiences and what you’ve learnt along this journey to success.
    i think i’m okay with further maths now as the last mocks were in december! now i’m getting A*s in all my homework pieces, so hopefully i should be able to achieve my personal target! if i don’t by the end of this year there is always the option of dropping it, but currently i’m enjoying all the subjects i do so i’m happy with keeping it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridwaan ahmad)
    What's 'criticism'?
    Still sounds fun!
    I hope it's fun books!
    it’s just things that other people have said about the books! you just have to talk about them in world context! and the books i study are pretty fun, like othello and the kite runner.

ReputationRep:
    so yesterday i got to the point where i’ve revised all the further pure we’ve learnt, but i still need to make notes on decision and also mechanics as we learn it! my main revision technique is just having a really big notebook that i write out subject specifications in, and revising from that rather than class notes, so i don’t have to rely on the ability of teachers!
    today, my goal is to finish all my english literature homework (3 pieces) so that i have time tomorrow to make notes on the rest of decision and start making notes on pure normal maths!

ReputationRep:
    life update!!!
    here’s my plans for the summer:
    -i have: work experience at mclaren and civic engineers lined up!
    -i’ve applied for: summer schools at UCL and cambridge, fingers crossed!
    -i might: go to leeds fest??

i also need to do a LOT of reading around my subject and draft my personal statement! can anyone recommend any books on engineering?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :woo:
    congrats on your GCSE grades and mock grades!!
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawatt)
    :woo:
    congrats on your GCSE grades and mock grades!!
    good luck
    thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    hi, i'd like to know any revision strategeies you used for the sciences plz?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.